“Very Comfortable!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The River Inn

Save Saved
You added The River Inn to your Saves list
The River Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   924 25th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Price
DIRECT BOOK 10% OFF
Ranked #11 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Douglasville, Georgia
“Very Comfortable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were traveling with friends on a long weekend. The staff is exceptionally friendly. We ate breakfast everyday at the hotel and found the service very good and the food, as well. They are currently in the process of remodeling and plan to be finished before the inaguration (2013). The Foggy Bottom Metro is very close. We would stay here again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hello there, thanks for your review on our hotel! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time here with us. I agree in that we have an amazingly friendly staff. It's good that you were able to try our restaurant, Dish + Drinks, as well! I love their food. You are right in that we are going through a modernization process here at the hotel, you will definitely have to come back and see all the changes! Thank you again, and we hope to see you back at The River Inn!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The rooms are a little tired, could do with a fresh coat of paint & some new furntiure, but they may be in the process of doing this as one of the lifts was out of order while we were there as it was being upgraded.

The rooms are huge! Great to have a kitchen as we couldn't find anywhere to have a decent breakfast in DC.

Just a short walk from the Foggy Bottom metro station which has two lines, making it easy to get wherever you need to go.

Staff friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Greetings! Thank you for your review on The River Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the size of the rooms, and the kitchen as well. Many guests find the kitchen to be very convenient, especially if you're traveling with family and don't want to eat out as much. We are close to a lot of sights in the area, and the proximity to the Metro is very helpful for our guests. You are correct in the fact that we are modernizing our suites! Our guest rooms are getting new furniture and carpeting, we are already getting great reviews on them. We are also getting brand new elevators, which we are all really excited about. We appreciate your comments on our staff, I agree that they are very friendly and helpful! Thank you so much for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon at The River Inn!
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

If you are looking fo glitz, glamour and luxury, this hotel is not for you. However, if you are looking for a very clean, spacious hotel room with more than just a bed and bath, plus exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff, I certainly recommend the River Inn. We have stayed at this hotel several times over recent years and whilst it is true that it is in need of the renovation currently underway I cannot fault it as a real home from home in a beautiful city. This is not a characterless standard issue type of hotel in a city centre; it is a very homely establishment in a pretty residential area, with all the amenities of everyday living close by including a metro station five minutes' walk away. It is also ten minutes' walk away from the Kennedy Centre for Performing Arts if you want to enjoy a concert, ballet or play there. This hotel provides a real taste of Washington DC as the residents see it.

Room Tip: A standard room is more than ample for two; a suite is roomy for up to four.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello there, and thank you very much for your great review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the suite you were in, I find them to be very spacious and homey as well. You really do get a feel for how the local residents live in Foggy Bottom! We are very close to public transportation, grocery stores, and the sights of DC such as the Kennedy Center and Georgetown. Guests love the location! Thank you for always coming back to us, we are very excited to see you again at The River Inn.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I visit Washington D.C. Several times a year on business and I stayed at The River Inn for the first time based on a recommendation from staff at my company. I arrived quite late and was greeted by very friendly staff. I was given a third floor room over looking the neighborhood (wish I had a river view room) which was large and clean and quiet. The kitchen was well appointed if dated. The only strange thing was that there was no thermostat to control the room temperature. I am on medication that makes me hot and I like my room colder than most people would find comfortable. For this reason only I will probably not stay here again.
I ate breakfast at the hotel and the service was lacking. I almost had to leave before I got my food because service was so slow. The breakfast buffet was less than appealing which is why I opted for a made to order breakfast.
The hotel is set in a very pretty neighborhood. A short walk will take you to Whole Foods and a number of excellent restaurants. The front desk staff suggested a small Thai restaurant that was quite good.
I used the business center to print my boarding pass and it took so long that I almost gave up. The computer or connection was so bad that I felt like I was using a dial up modem!
Overall this is a cute, quiet, convienient place to stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Hello, and thank you for your review on The River Inn! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and found the location to be ideal. The neighborhood setting is so quiet, it's a nice retreat away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. As you indicated, the hotel is situated in a convenient area filled with various restaurants and shops. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to find the thermostat in the suite, it is actually located on the wall around the corner from the kitchen. Also, I apologize for the wait in our restaurant, as well as our business center. I will pass that information on to ensure that this does not happen again. I hope that these items do not deter you from staying with us again in the future! We would love for you to give us another chance. We look forward to hearing from you again at The River Inn.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The good is the staff, as they are very nice and helpful - and for the staff I could give 5 stars. Otherwise - the hotel is extremely disappointing, especially that it held a certificate of excellence!
It is advertised as a luxury. Luxury it is not, it is barely acceptable. Rooms are relatively spacious and gosh! they are really ugly, furnished with old furniture, lacking any style and taste. Rooms smell with old cigar smoke, even if they are for non-smokers. We thought of upgrading the room, but the apartment was even more tired, with a colour peeling of the walls and grey, tired carpets. The old air-condition unit was making a noise, so it was difficult to sleep. Plus, it was either too hot or too cold.
There is a kitchen in each room, and we thought it might be an advantage, but believe me, if you are not on a special diet it cost the same to eat outside, and at the Foggy Bottom you have a lot of nice, cheap places to eat (plus some expensive and beautiful restaurants in Georgetown). And the kitchen in the room means additional unpleasant odours.
Usually, if the room is not so nice, there is a hotel lobby one can rest. In this hotel lobby is so small that it almost do not exist, furnished with VERY OLD furnitures and decorated with one dying orchid. So this is not an option.
The restaurant seems to be nice, but it is also very ... underdecorated. And again, staff in the restaurant is great. I did not try food, as we ate outside.
The gym is again very small and rather tired.
Wifi is in every room and most of the time it works really well, which is an advantage. While choosing the room there is a rule that higher is better.
I got severe allergy from the air-condition unit, I was bitten by some sort of bugs in this hotel (not mosquitos), I was sleepless from the aircondition noise.
Regarding room service there was the rule: if not living a tip, the room was always slightly unfinished. With tips it worked. I seldom tip roomservice every day, I usually live bigger amount in the end of my stay, but in Rivers Inn everyday tipping was necessary.
I liked the location though, however any hotel close to metro is in a good location, as metro works in DC really well. The "walking distance" to National Mall is ca 20-25 minutes, so it is better to take metro anyway (as then you can be too tired to walk in the museums and Mall itself). The big advantage of this hotels are bicycles, as than it is possible to cycle in the Mall and Potomac or RockCreek.
It was overpriced, this hotel - as for the amount you pay there you expect just a glimpse of luxury.
This hotel was acceptable, but not comfortable and sort of basic standard. If it was 3 stars I would not complain. But it does not deserve 5 stars, it does not deserve excellence certificate and it is UGLY.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Greetings, and thank you very much for your review on The River Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, it sounds like it suited your sightseeing needs, such as heading to the National Mall and Georgetown. Also, thanks for mentioning our bike service; guests love that they can use the hotel bikes for free up to two hours! However, I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration for our operations. In case you didn't notice during your stay, we are going through a modernization process at the hotel. All of our suites are being updated with new furnishings, bedding, and carpets. Also, we are getting brand new elevators, which the staff and guests are very excited about. Knowing this, I hope that you give us a second chance for your next visit to DC! Please keep us in mind, and we look forward to hearing from you again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for Marine Corp Marathon 2011, it was great.
I got lost finding it. so if you are catching the Metro to Foggy Bottom, turn right and back on yourself when you come out of the station. Walk through a pedestrian area and keep going. Cross and odd road junction with a 7/11 on the right - but keep going. At the next junction, turn right and The River Inn is on the left.

Breakfast is not included, it is expensive and not worth the wait.

But the staff are great, the location is perfect and the rooms clean, tidy and the bed - AWESOME!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hello there, and thank you for your review on The River Inn! I am glad to hear that you had a good time at the hotel, I hope the Marine Corp Marathon went well for you! In DC, it can be easy to get turned around, thank you for providing those walking directions for our future guests. As you said, breakfast is not included with the stay, but if you're interested in staying with us again sometime please call our reservations department directly and they can provide you with a room rate that includes breakfast! Thank you for the nice comments on our staff, we appreciate the feedback. We look forward to your next visit at The River Inn.
La Canada Flintridge, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked this hotel because of the price and convenient location. We were very pleasantly surprised that is turned out to be a great location, convenient to GWU Metro. The room is large, with a sitting area and a small kitchen. The hotel is peaceful and well decorated. Wonderful staff and a great value. We stayed for three nights and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Hello, and thank you for choosing The River Inn for your recent stay in Washington, DC! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. As you stated, the location is great! We're in such a peaceful area, yet close to so many of the city's sights. With the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro stop only 2.5 blocks away, all of DC is at our front door. The rooms are a great size, with plenty of room to spread out and socialize. The kitchens are helpful as well, especially if you came with family or plan on staying with us for a longer period of time. I'm glad you liked the decor of the hotel, we have recently begun upgrading our suites, so I hope you come back to us sometime to see our new look! Thanks again for your comments, and we look forward to your next visit at The River Inn.

Been to The River Inn? Share your experiences!