“Washington on a budget” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The River Inn

Save Saved
You added The River Inn to your Saves list
The River Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   924 25th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Ranked #13 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Worcestershire
“Washington on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

A bit tired and worn but the staff were warm and friendly. The room was large, comfortable and well equipped with a decent bathroom. The hotel is in a charming, relatively quiet area within easy reach of the metro system. We felt there was a lack of places to eat close to the hotel. If you enjoy walking, it was well placed for sightseeing. Just across from the metro station is possibly the best food market/deli we have ever visited, selling a vast array of groceries, wines/beers and take away foods to meet all tastes, so the lack of an oven was never a problem. If you want to be in the middle of the action you may prefer Georgetown but if you want a quieter location at a very reasonable price then this represents good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hi, thank you very much for your review on The River Inn! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your suite, as well as the location of the hotel. The furniture in the rooms are getting a bit worn, so we are currently in the beginning stages of upgrading our suites. You'll have to come visit us again to see all of our updates! Also, we are walking distance to many of DC's sights, such as the White House, Lincoln Memorial, and Georgetown. I'm sorry that there aren't as many restaurants near the hotel, but in return we are in a nice, quiet residential area that is filled with history! As for the market/deli you visited, I believe you are speaking of the Whole Foods Market. It has been a great addition to the Foggy Bottom neighborhood. Again, thanks for your great review, we hope to see you again sometime at The River Inn!

815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Bridgetown, Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Ideally close to Metro in central location for sight seeing. Small suite room with kitchen; dated but classy touches, slept well so bed comfortable and no noise from quaint street which has historic town houses. This boutique hotel had pleasant helpful staff and the intimate trendy restaurant served good food and wine. I cant imagine Ramsey would complain. Keith the maitre d gave good food and wine advice and was abley assisted. Interesting people met at Dinner and breakfast even though I was travelling alone after a fire science conference at UMD. Susan a regular for dinner was a Lobbyist and very good company when I had dessert at the bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hello there, and thank you for your review on The River Inn! I'm glad to hear that we made you feel right at home during your stay. We get a lot of compliments on our comfortable beds, we've even had guests call us after they've checked out to ask what kind of mattresses we use so they can purchase one themselves! Also, thanks for your review on our in-house restaurant, Dish + Drinks. The staff there are great, and the food is highly rated! We get a mixed crowd of local neighborhood residents, theater goers, and hotel guests, so you're able to meet new people at every meal. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us, please come back again sometime!
Severna Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the River Inn last Thursday for a quick get-away. The room we stayed in was quite lovely, with a little sitting area and small kitchen. The room was clean, and the staff were very accomodating and helpful. We had a problem with the coffee grinder in our room, and it took the staff less than 5 minutes to deliver another one to us. Excellent customer service!

We have stayed here a few other times. The hotel is in a great location, very close to the Foggy Bottom metro. I highly recomment The River Inn!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings! Thank you very much for staying at The River Inn, and for giving us such a nice review! I love the rooms here, they are all very spacious and cozy. Thanks for the compliments on our staff as well, we love getting feedback and ensuring that our guests are enjoying their stay. I'm glad that you liked our customer service! Thanks for coming on back to us so many times, we are looking forward to your next visit! Take care, and thank you for choosing The River Inn.
South Staffs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This Hotel is in an excellent positon, we have been to Washington DC on many occasions, but must admit this is the best Hotel we have stayed in. The rooms are very large with a sitting area table and chairs and also a small very equiped kitchen, although we didn't use it it would be adequate to cook in if you wanted too. The staff were very accomodating and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Thsi is a place I would most certainly go back too without hesitation.

Room Tip: I would say any room would be a good room. the hotel is on a leafy road with very little traffic noi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello, and thank you for your comments on The River Inn! We really appreciate your kind words about our hotel. Like you, I love the size of our suites, it's like having your own apartment in DC! The kitchens are great if you want to cook during your stay (it can save you money by not going out to eat as much!). Our location is a large draw as well, we are in a quiet historic district that appeals to many of our guests. Plus, we are walking distance to so many of DC's sights! Also, thank you for your compliments to our staff, I'll be sure to pass it on. Thanks again for your review, we hope to see you again sometime at The River Inn!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just stayed a week for work, and was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the hotel is old. It was quite warm out and the heat was on when we arrived, see previous review, but within the first day they had gone back to ac. No oven or dishwasher, but we weren't planning to bake anything anyway, and they provide dish soap. Also any breakfast dishes we left were washed by housekeeping, which seems over and above. All in all, I would stay here again. The staff does the best they can considering the age of the building and the location can not be beat. Quick walk to the metro and you can get anywhere, walk the other direction and you find shops galore. Try Baked and Wired cupcakes while you're in the neighborhood.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greetings, and thanks for your recent stay at The River Inn! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your week with us. Thank you very much for your understanding with our heating and a/c system, I know our weather in DC has been so volatile the past couple of months, it makes it difficult to determine when to switch over for the season. Thanks as well for your comments about our housekeeping staff, they work very hard to ensure your room is in great shape! Also, guests love the location of the hotel, since it is so close to the main sights of DC as well as local favorites. Baked and Wired is a great place, I'm glad you got to try it during your stay. We look forward to a future visit from you at The River Inn!
Baddeck, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was very happy with my stay at this hotel until I returned home to find I had left several articles of clothing in the dresser drawer. I called to ask if the hotel had a lost and found and was told yes. The manager told me the housekeeper reported nothing was left in the room. Not good enoug and not very helpful. Accountability is lacking. I regret leaving a tip for the housekeeping staff. Disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Greetings, and thank you for your review on The River Inn! I am glad to hear that you did enjoy your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that you had an unpleasant experience with leaving items at the hotel, and that there was a miscommunication about our lost and found. From my understanding, this was resolved shortly after when your items were found. Our staff confirmed directly with you the best address to send them to, and your package was sent out yesterday. I hope that this one instance does not deter you from coming back to us at some point! Please give us a call the next time you consider visiting DC. Thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Walla Walla, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just completed my third stay at The River Inn. One of the best things about this hotel is it’s location. It’s in a quieter part of DC, and, from the hotel, it’s a short walk to a bank, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, the Foggy Bottom metro stop, and a Fedex/Kinko’s; a drug store, a post office, and Georgetown are slightly longer strolls. The hotel is not slickly modern, but a little more old-fashioned, and it is not part of a “cookie cutter” chain. Furnishings are comfortable, and the suites are, as advertised, larger than most hotel rooms in DC, especially the bigger Potomac Suites. I find the suites to be intelligently laid out, as well. The staff is invariably polite and tries to be helpful.

However, there are drawbacks to the hotel’s old-fashioned nature, and these were not evident during my first two stays, both of which were in mid-summer. Because the building is quite old, the heat and air conditioning are not available simultaneously; it must be one or the other. During summer or winter, that may not be an issue, but in spring or autumn, weather in DC can be quite variable. During my most recent stay, it was quite warm until a powerful cold front came through the area. Temperatures dropped into the 40’s at night, yet heat was not an option. In the United States, in 2012, in what is supposed to be a nice hotel, I do not regard this as acceptable; heat or air conditioning should be available whenever a guest wishes.

In addition, the day I arrived (October 4th), one of the two elevators in the building was out of service, and it remained so throughout my stay. The hotel is in the process of “modernizing” the elevator. That’s fine, except that the process is expected to take many weeks (I was told it will take around three months), particularly as the old elevator has to be removed piece by piece (again, this is an old elevator in an old building). So you have exactly one functioning elevator to serve an eight-story hotel with over one hundred guest rooms. As you can imagine, this sometimes leads to lengthy waits for the elevator. Why aren’t prospective guests advised about this on the hotel’s website? You can, of course, take the stairs to your room, but after a long day of sightseeing on my feet, climbing multiple flights of stairs to my room (I was on the top floor) is not something I want to do. The staff notes that they’ll try to accommodate guests on lower floors when it’s possible, but it isn’t always possible; this hotel is busy year-round.

Also, the hotel’s website notes that the Corporate Suites include a “full kitchen”. This is not true, or at least it wasn’t in the Corporate Suite in which I stayed. Where I come from, a full kitchen includes an oven and a dishwasher; my Corporate Suite had neither. This wasn’t a big deal, but it would be nice to be told the truth about a room you’re booking.

One final thing: recognize that the staff’s hands are tied regarding these issues. The River Inn’s parent company, Modus Hotels, naturally has the final say in everything pertaining to this hotel. The River Inn’s employees spend a lot of time listening to complaints (and apologizing to guests) for matters that Modus should be addressing.

Would I stay here again? At this point, I really don’t know.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello there, and thank you for your review on The River Inn. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's location, suites, and staff. Just like you, I love the layout of the suites. This building used to be an apartment complex, so you can really envision yourself living here! I am sorry that our heat and a/c system was an inconvenience to you during your stay. As you stated, at this time of year our weather in DC can vary greatly, which makes it difficult for deciding when to switch over to heat permanently. Also, you are correct in the fact that we are in the process of modernizing our elevators. This does create a small hiccup with our day-to-day operations, but the end result will be two brand new (and faster!) elevators, which our staff and guests are very excited about. As another part of this process, we will be upgrading our suites very soon. These upgrades will include new furnishings and carpeting. We really do appreciate your feedback; we would love for you to give us another chance and to see our new elevators and suites! Thanks again for your comments on The River Inn.

Been to The River Inn? Share your experiences!