“not a value at this price point” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel

You added Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ninth St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #59 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Syracuse, ny
“not a value at this price point”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed 2 nites for a convention in May 2015. This is a $300+ / room place, so you expect certain things at this price point.
First the good: the lobby is great, the staff very welcoming, and our room itself was clean and modern. No problems here.
But.
But at this price point, I expect free wifi in the room, not a surcharge of $12-15/day for internet access. Guys, it's not 1996 anymore. Internet is infrastructure: if you don't charge extra for electricity or water and you cater to biz / convention clientele, free internet is assumed. Big shock.

Also, we tried breakfast at the resto in the lobby: how about $21 for 2 eggs, bacon, hash brown, and toast? My wife had the eggs benedict and couldn't finish one, it was so poorly prepared. Big minus here. We all get that hotel restos are selling convenience but we really felt ripped off.

With so many other hotels a block away, I would stay at any of the others on my next visit.

Dear managers: this is your wakeup call. Get to work.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I had a very brief stay at the Renaissance Washington DC this past week and I was very notably underwhelmed. The service across the board - from the day and night front desk staff to the fitness center staffer - was completely without passion or interest in providing helpful service. It was just a hotel with rooms. No one really seemed to care about being helpful or friendly. It strikes me as sad, since the location was perfect for the AANS meeting, and the rooms were perfectly functional.

Room Tip: Consider choosing a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Location is very good for the Convention Center. Service is very good. Quite adequate electrical plugs for laptops, cell phones etc. WiFi should be included at these room rates! Would not recommend to a family with children for touring DC. Food and restaurant are typical for a large hotel in a metropolitan area.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel. If you're looking for a nice hotel close to public transportation and the DC attractions, this is it! The Chinatown/Gallery Place metro stop is about two blocks. This station has the red, green and yellow lines.

My room was very spacious with a sofa to relax on, but the bathroom was kinda small. As a Gold Marriott Rewards member, I had access to the concierge lounge. I loved the free "adult" beverages and snacks each evening. The only downer was the lounge not being open on Friday and Saturday evenings. There are several dining options at this hotel. Also, there are many other great options within walking distance. I heard the fitness center is very nice but didn't get to experience it for myself. I got my exercise by sightseeing and visiting the various museums. :-)

When I return to DC, I will be booking this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I was in DC to attend a congress and this hotel was ideally located, just across the street from the conference centre. The hotel itself is functional with clean rooms and offers a decent breakfast. The fitness centre was excellent, spacious and well equipped and I ended up using it almost daily. The hotel is also close to a number of good restaurants, the subway and Chinatown. On the negative side, despite the stiff $400 daily room cost, I still had to pay separately for the wifi which was ridiculous. Would recommend mainly for the proximity to the conference centre.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Ramdas P,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I certainly agree that our hotel is a perfect location to the convention center and all the great sites of DC - we are in the heart of CityCenterDC where new retail and restaurants open weekly!

I appreciate your feedback about the separate cost of wifi - may I suggest you join Marriott Rewards? There is no charge to join and all Marriott Reward members qualify to receive free internet in guest rooms. Of course, anyone is welcome to use our free wifi in our amazing lobby where you can work, meet and play!

We look forward to your return to our hotel the next time your travels return you to our Nation's Capital!

Sharon Lockwood
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Interesting lobby with plenty of nooks and crannies, even a library near the lobby bar with books for the guests to read during their stay. Nichole, the concierge, or "Navigator" as Renaissance terms them, was great and offered plenty of dining and entertainment options for me and my colleague, Ian the bellman was very gracious and knowledgeable about the area, and Rosemary at the front desk was amazing and explained the benefits of signing up for Marriott Rewards, the least of which is the free wifi for members, which i recommend any traveler going to a Marriott property to look into. She was able to give me a great room with a lovely view, and remembered my name throughout the stay which was a great personal touch. Also appreciated was the new renaissance discovery magazine left in my room, it was such a great branding material and really was a great, high-quality touch that fits perfectly with the theme of discovery that the Renaissance brand preaches. Rooms were nice and spacious, the only amenity that was lacking seemed to be some kind of bath gel or wash, which was no big deal, just was a small touch that would have been appreciated since i had a bath tub and for the first time in my life was compelled to take a bath. This issue was easily remedied when i called downstairs to the operator, Gwen who graciously had plenty of gel, soap, and lotion. Operators were lovely, I spoke to a younger woman Veronica, the next morning about extending my check out for another 45 minutes as I had a conference call, and she graciously accepted my request and actually gave me a full hour to check out late. Room service was standard fare, expensive and generic, but the lovely lady (for the life of me I cannot remember her name, i believe it was Mary) that took my order was more than happy to give me advice on her favorite options, and was patient even though I probably dissected the menu while on the phone with her for close to two minutes. The only complaint that I had about the hotel was the elevators, they are scratched and scraped, and don't provide an accurate representation of the great hotel that they service. I'll definitely be back next time I find myself in downtown DC.

Room Tip: low floors facing the street will probably be noisy
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Twinsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

By now I should be exhausted staying in hotels --- 9 of my last 15 nigths have been in 3 different DC hotels. But my two night stay at the (downtown) Renaissance was outstanding. The lobby is sectioned off into different rooms with different types of seating and style -- and not that noisy despite being very busy. The consierge lounge was similarily designed -- sectioned off and with different types of seating -- and the best evening buffet I have had, possibly ever. (The crab cakes were huge, the size you would pay $25 for two at a fish house). The room was very nice. My only "complaint" was that my view was of "nothing" --- looking into a central core of rooms looking back at me. It did not matter ---- when I was in my room all I needed to do was work and sleep. I had a meal at the lobby bar the week before (when I was staying at the Marriott a few blocks away) and it was excellent. This was a very enjoyable stay. No complaints and an excellent property. I selected "boutique" and "charming" as a descriptor below based on the lobby and concierge lounge, the rooms were rather standard Renaissance and not boutique.

Room Tip: If a view is important, ask for an outside view.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!