“Great Location for visiting DC!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel

You added Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ninth St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #59 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Great Location for visiting DC!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel. If you're looking for a nice hotel close to public transportation and the DC attractions, this is it! The Chinatown/Gallery Place metro stop is about two blocks. This station has the red, green and yellow lines.

My room was very spacious with a sofa to relax on, but the bathroom was kinda small. As a Gold Marriott Rewards member, I had access to the concierge lounge. I loved the free "adult" beverages and snacks each evening. The only downer was the lounge not being open on Friday and Saturday evenings. There are several dining options at this hotel. Also, there are many other great options within walking distance. I heard the fitness center is very nice but didn't get to experience it for myself. I got my exercise by sightseeing and visiting the various museums. :-)

When I return to DC, I will be booking this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was in DC to attend a congress and this hotel was ideally located, just across the street from the conference centre. The hotel itself is functional with clean rooms and offers a decent breakfast. The fitness centre was excellent, spacious and well equipped and I ended up using it almost daily. The hotel is also close to a number of good restaurants, the subway and Chinatown. On the negative side, despite the stiff $400 daily room cost, I still had to pay separately for the wifi which was ridiculous. Would recommend mainly for the proximity to the conference centre.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Ramdas P,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I certainly agree that our hotel is a perfect location to the convention center and all the great sites of DC - we are in the heart of CityCenterDC where new retail and restaurants open weekly!

I appreciate your feedback about the separate cost of wifi - may I suggest you join Marriott Rewards? There is no charge to join and all Marriott Reward members qualify to receive free internet in guest rooms. Of course, anyone is welcome to use our free wifi in our amazing lobby where you can work, meet and play!

We look forward to your return to our hotel the next time your travels return you to our Nation's Capital!

Sharon Lockwood
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Interesting lobby with plenty of nooks and crannies, even a library near the lobby bar with books for the guests to read during their stay. Nichole, the concierge, or "Navigator" as Renaissance terms them, was great and offered plenty of dining and entertainment options for me and my colleague, Ian the bellman was very gracious and knowledgeable about the area, and Rosemary at the front desk was amazing and explained the benefits of signing up for Marriott Rewards, the least of which is the free wifi for members, which i recommend any traveler going to a Marriott property to look into. She was able to give me a great room with a lovely view, and remembered my name throughout the stay which was a great personal touch. Also appreciated was the new renaissance discovery magazine left in my room, it was such a great branding material and really was a great, high-quality touch that fits perfectly with the theme of discovery that the Renaissance brand preaches. Rooms were nice and spacious, the only amenity that was lacking seemed to be some kind of bath gel or wash, which was no big deal, just was a small touch that would have been appreciated since i had a bath tub and for the first time in my life was compelled to take a bath. This issue was easily remedied when i called downstairs to the operator, Gwen who graciously had plenty of gel, soap, and lotion. Operators were lovely, I spoke to a younger woman Veronica, the next morning about extending my check out for another 45 minutes as I had a conference call, and she graciously accepted my request and actually gave me a full hour to check out late. Room service was standard fare, expensive and generic, but the lovely lady (for the life of me I cannot remember her name, i believe it was Mary) that took my order was more than happy to give me advice on her favorite options, and was patient even though I probably dissected the menu while on the phone with her for close to two minutes. The only complaint that I had about the hotel was the elevators, they are scratched and scraped, and don't provide an accurate representation of the great hotel that they service. I'll definitely be back next time I find myself in downtown DC.

Room Tip: low floors facing the street will probably be noisy
Twinsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

By now I should be exhausted staying in hotels --- 9 of my last 15 nigths have been in 3 different DC hotels. But my two night stay at the (downtown) Renaissance was outstanding. The lobby is sectioned off into different rooms with different types of seating and style -- and not that noisy despite being very busy. The consierge lounge was similarily designed -- sectioned off and with different types of seating -- and the best evening buffet I have had, possibly ever. (The crab cakes were huge, the size you would pay $25 for two at a fish house). The room was very nice. My only "complaint" was that my view was of "nothing" --- looking into a central core of rooms looking back at me. It did not matter ---- when I was in my room all I needed to do was work and sleep. I had a meal at the lobby bar the week before (when I was staying at the Marriott a few blocks away) and it was excellent. This was a very enjoyable stay. No complaints and an excellent property. I selected "boutique" and "charming" as a descriptor below based on the lobby and concierge lounge, the rooms were rather standard Renaissance and not boutique.

Room Tip: If a view is important, ask for an outside view.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I was upgraded to a Club Room that faced the Atrium. It was very quiet, but there is no view. Colleague who had a room with a view did complain about the traffic noise. Staff is extremely helpful and be sure to see Mohammed for restaurant information and reservations. He's outstanding! The room is well appointed and very clean. Housekeeping is obviously a top priority.

Will stay there again for sure.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

At the Renaissance, you can truly experience technology as though you lived during the Renaissance. Free wi-fi? Nope. High definition? Nope. 2 queens and a roll-away? They'll only tell you so on the phone. You'll have to buy another room as soon as you show up because it's a "fire hazard". Convenient it is now, but wasn't a week ago over the phone.

If you want a high tech establishment with free internet and high def, you'll have to visit a classier establishment. Like... McDonalds, maybe?

Location for conference is good and rooms are clean. So, there's that. Not exactly what you'd expect at almost $400 a night.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear mickswen727,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Wi-Fi, HDTV’s and room type with additional rollaway beds. I have shared your feedback with our Front Office Manager and our Area Director of IT. As you may have heard through various channels, Wi-Fi is now complimentary to all Marriott Rewards members. This is such a great benefit and is worth signing up for our world renowned Rewards program.

In addition, we are providing service training to our Reception team on how to inform our discoverers over the phone about the room type and flexibility options for adding rollaway beds. Due to size constraints and for your safety we typically shy away from putting rollaway beds in rooms with 2 double beds, mainly due to the lack mobility once inside the room.

As for our HDTV line up – we offer over 21 of our 81 channels in HD. With that being said, I completely understand your frustration and we truly are focused on using guest feedback to improve our service and product offerings. I would invite you to contact our Front Office Manager @ justin.gibson@marriott.com to discuss your stay further as he would truly appreciate the additional feedback and room number, etc.

Sharon Lockwood
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Stayed here for a conference. Everything was great! Room was super clean and very quiet. Mine faced the atrium area so the room in general was a bit dark since the shades had to always be pulled down (unless I wanted other people staring at me). The TV remote is a bit difficult to maneuver if you want to watch TV in bed. I always had to be at the absolute edge of the bed each time I wanted to change channels or adjust volume, that was a bit annoying. Bathroom was very clean, excellent rain-shower with hot water.
I ordered dinner room service a couple times. It was very tasty and fast service. I thought the prices were decent (considering location).
There is a Starbucks in the lobby so that is great in the mornings. It closes at 6pm though.
Great lobby bar and sports bar/restaurant. Fun atmosphere.
All the staff I encountered were super friendly.
If I came back for a leisure visit I would stay here. It's pretty close to the Mall (about 15-20 minute walk). The monuments are a bit further away. Lots of restaurants within walking distance to hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask to face the atrium. It will also be darker too.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!