“Good for what it is.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel

Save Saved
You added Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ninth St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 20% In DC
Ranked #57 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Good for what it is.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I'm not much of a chain hotel person--I usually book in small b&b's or a boutique hotel. However, I just needed a place that was convenient to my job interview location. The hotel served its purpose for that. The room was very clean and the bed was super comfortable. It was a little noisy outside. I'm used to that so it didn't bother me, but keep it in mind if you're used to a quiet sleeping environment.

For the most part, customer service was okay. The woman at check in was very polite and efficient. I didn't use the "navigator" but that seems like a good service. There was one slightly rude encounter with a cleaner in the hallway. I must have looked a little lost (it was pre-coffee), he asked if I needed help and I said no. If my answer came across as short I apologize, but he complained loudly about me as he walked away. huh? At least wait until the customer is out of earshot. Minor thing but it irked me. But for the most part everyone was great.

I didn't try the room service but having a Starbucks right in the hotel lobby is great.

994 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I had high hopes for this hotel when i arrived in the evening. Well situated, the room was nice sized and tastefully done. Went to sleep on the firm mattress and woke early to the sound of jack hammering, banging, etc. Looked out side the window - no building going up across the street. Looked directly below and they were tearing up the area in front of the main entrance.

The sign of a good hotel, is that if they know you will be guaranteed 100% to be in an extremely loud construction zone - they tell you.

Lying by omission ("we hope you enjoy your stay" when they know we won't) is still lying.

Room Tip: Ask them to put you on the side opposite from the jackhammering
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear karen k,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I certainly understand your frustration about believing you would have a quiet, non-eventful, stay and hearing construction noise outside your room. I do apologize that you were not alerted to this work.

Unfortunately, we, too, were uninformed about this work being completed by the city; we pride ourselves in communicating any happenings (good and bad) in the city to our discoverers.

Please do not let this event dissuade you from returning to our hotel - as you mentioned, we are in a great location. If you return to DC, please do reach out to me at sharon.lockwood@renaissancehotels.com!

Sharon Lockwood
Fenton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough about the front desk service I received from Roman, who got me into my room early and phoned later to make sure I was comfortably settled. Room service was very prompt (although expensive) and food was adequate. The facility was somewhat noisy on my first night (Sunday) but subsequently quieted down. Comfy beds and towels. I would book again.

• Stayed April 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Very convenient, right by the convention area of downtown Dc, it was about 5-6 blocks to the national mall! rooms were clean, service was good and a great value when we stayed. I assume that this place would be pricey during busy times.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We recently traveled to DC over the Easter weekend during spring break. There were nine of us altogether. We had a King suite with an adjoining double room and another room for the three teens traveling with us. The rooms were absolutely perfect which is really just expected from Marriott Properties, but having recently had a bad experience with another hotel chain I have decided never to take the Marriott way of housekeeping for granted again!
The hotel lobby was very cool and had that Renaissance brand feel to it. The bar had a great lighting system and the theme carried throughout the decor in the lobby. Lots of places to sit and chat and have a drink, feel intimate and yet still part of the scene. Once when we came in from the day of touring, there was a woman singing softy from one of the library alcoves....really nice touch.
I had a chance to meet the GM of the hotel. She was very nice indeed and took time to ask how our stay was going, if our rooms were to our liking and even gave us a few suggestions on where we could go to eat.
The hotel is very centrally located. We walked to everything but the National Zoo.
Dining was very convenient. One block away is Chinatown, but don't let the name fool you. There is everything there from Irish Pubs, to Italian, American Bistro, and yes even a Chinese restaurant or two.
Great trip, great hotel.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I, being Angel Baseball fans, travel to an away city once a year to watch them play out of town. This year we chose DC as the Angels had not played at Nationals Park before. Having stayed at the Renaissance five years ago when our daughter graduated from the University of Maryland, we thought we would give it another go, when there was not snow all over the ground!

We checked in late Monday night after a delayed flight from LA, but were warmly greeted and the check-in process was super smooth and the staff very friendly. The next morning we were looking for directions and spoke to Yussef and he provided clear directions to where we wanted to go and the easiest way to get there. The Renaissance location is very central to the downtown DC/Chinatown/Gallery area and with the Metro only a couple of blocks away, which makes the rest of the city easily accessed.

The room was a Junior Suite and had all the amenities we needed and although close to the lobby (being on the 2nd floor) it was incredibly quiet. The entire staff was incredibly friendly and helpful with any questions or wants. A big shout out to David the doorman who always greeted us with a smile and his humor!

We would definitely stay at the Renaissance in the future. And did I mention we got to witness Angels 1st Baseman, Albert Pujol's hit his #499 & #500 homerun of his career?.........priceless!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had a big group of people staying at this hotel for a conference. Not only was the hotel beautiful and clean the staff was very helpful and friendly and really a pleasure to work with. ERICA IN PARTICULAR!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel? Share your experiences!