“Great Location - Not impressed with the "Navigation Desk"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel

You added Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ninth St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #59 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Johnston, Rhode Island, United States
“Great Location - Not impressed with the "Navigation Desk"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We bought this through priceline and did get a great deal, however, when we arrived we didn't get a funky room but had to take all they had left for double beds which was a handicap accessible room. We didn't mind the extra moving around room but it wasn't like the photos on the internet. They had no brochures for you to just look at as far as what to do in the city. You had to go to the "Navigation Desk" and this is where I was annoyed. As I ask a question they (two of them working the desk) kept interrupting ME to answer the phone. I patiently waited my turn and was standing in front of them. I deserved their full attention not the person who is ringing in on the phone. The man quickly handed me a tour bus brochure and then took the phone call. I stood there for another 10 minutes while he was on the phone and finally I walked away. All set with that treatment.

Room Tip: If you defintiley need two beds then don't book on priceline.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear ChristinaR,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate you with a room with two double beds to your liking.

I certainly understand your frustration as our Navigators were not as friendly and helpful as you would have liked. I have shared your feedback with our Front Office Manager who will educate our Navigators on the importance of taking care of our guests at the desk first.

Please do try to visit us again soon. We would love to show you our Renaissance style and service!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Well located and they have the basics down, clean efficient room, good bedding, shower that works, flat screen tv and Internet. And lots of accessible plugs. The staff is mostly responsive and they try hard to keep everything going in a very busy, mostly business, hotel environment. Some of the rooms face the inner courtyard, so if you want light and a view, let them know when you reserve or check in. The conference food ranged from manageable to inedible -- really a throwback. (If you are planning a conference here, be clear about your expectations for food.) The restaurant in the hotel is just okay and the little market is hardly ever open, so bring your Starbucks card and prepare to stand on line. The lobby bar is noisy, but the wine is good and it's a generous pour. You won't starve, since you will be located well within walking distance of lots of great restaurants. (When did DC food get so good!) The gym is very well equipped, but the reception desk has a sleepy guy at the helm and I had to ask for help to use of the machines that wasn't working. Summary - adequate for a quick business or sightseeing trip, but if you want anything more upscale, look elsewhere.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear NYCJake,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and your room while here.

I do apologize that you did not enjoy your food while attending a convention. I have reviewed your feedback with our Director of Beverage and Food and Chef and they are sharing your comments with our team. I have also shared your feedback at the Vida Health Club with their manager regarding your experience at reception.

I do hope that when you return to Washington, DC that you do give us another chance to showcase our culinary delights and service!

Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Rooms are tiny and uncomfortable. The lobby is a joke- feels like a bus station with people hanging out with takeout coffee from the adjacent cafe... Finally the front desk service is totally indifferent. This is more like a 2-star hotel that happens to be in a good location. I honestly would have expected more from a Renaissance.

Room Tip: Loud window A/C unit is like a motel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear paestum70,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy our newly renovated guest rooms and lobby. I have shared your feedback about our reception staff with our Front Office Manager so he may share with his team in their daily meeting.

Please do give us another chance the next time your travels bring you to our Nation’s Capital.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Walking distance to all the great things to see! Metro a couple of blocks away, and lots of great places to eat. Rooms are great and they have great hotel towels!

I thought the concierge staff would be more knowledgeable but if anything they came across snotty.

The hotel has a partnership with the health club and they have a big hot tub and dry and wet steam rooms!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear twinglemom3,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I do agree that our rooms are great and our location the best!

I have shared your feedback regarding our concierge team with our front office manager and he will share with his team to insure they are as delightful as the rest of our ambassadors.

The next time you are in our Nation’s Capital, please do stay with us again – our Vida Health Club also has an amazing spa!

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was here for a quick weekend business trip, so it's all a bit of a blur, but I'm left with a pleasant impression of the Renaissance, particularly the exceptionally cordial staff on all fronts, as well as the great food! From room service to food during a conference, I was pleasantly surprised at the taste and quality, having lowered my expectations over the years. The room was great, albeit disappointing to be overlooking an inside courtyard rather than scrumptious DC view - be sure to ask for a view! A few too many miscellaneous hairs, particularly in the bathroom, but overall very clean and no complaints. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a view!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear fieval1079,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. I especially appreciate your feedback about our culinary team and their food quality.

As we are in the heart of Washington, DC and there are height limitations, our views are nice but I do also recommend an interior view where the rooms are super quiet.

Please do plan on visiting us the next time your travels return you to our Nation’s Capital!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had a very nice stay here over a long weekend in DC. There were quite a few choices, but this seemed like the best value for our last minute trip downtown... and the central location was ideal. Yes, there's lots of construction going on in that area, but it wasn't a bother at all. It was a beautiful Spring weekend and if you don't mind walking, there's lots to see with the Mall and monuments nearby. We attended two Nationals games and a Capitals game. Verizon Center is only a few blocks away... and Nats Park is a quick Metro rail ride away (although we decided to walk that also!). I can't comment much on the hotel itself outside of saying that it was comfortable and clean. We had a great night's sleep. We didn't have too many dealings with the staff since we were pretty much on the go the whole time, but everyone we dealt with seemed quite pleasant. Overall, a very enjoyable stay and I would recommend the Renaissance. The only thing to add is that parking is expensive, so you might look for other options outside of keeping your car in the hotel. Tip: on Sundays, you should have no problem finding street parking for free.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was one of the nicest hotels ever! I went with my school and we were a pretty large group. The hotel handled it amazingly well and was very accommodating! Loved it and would love to go back again!

• Stayed April 2013
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Hosborne 98,

Thank you so much for writing a review about our hotel – I agree that our staff truly is amazing! Whether traveling in a group or individually, our team will cater to your every need!

Sharon Lockwood

Been to Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!