“very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel

You added Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ninth St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20%
Ranked #59 of 137 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had a very nice stay here over a long weekend in DC. There were quite a few choices, but this seemed like the best value for our last minute trip downtown... and the central location was ideal. Yes, there's lots of construction going on in that area, but it wasn't a bother at all. It was a beautiful Spring weekend and if you don't mind walking, there's lots to see with the Mall and monuments nearby. We attended two Nationals games and a Capitals game. Verizon Center is only a few blocks away... and Nats Park is a quick Metro rail ride away (although we decided to walk that also!). I can't comment much on the hotel itself outside of saying that it was comfortable and clean. We had a great night's sleep. We didn't have too many dealings with the staff since we were pretty much on the go the whole time, but everyone we dealt with seemed quite pleasant. Overall, a very enjoyable stay and I would recommend the Renaissance. The only thing to add is that parking is expensive, so you might look for other options outside of keeping your car in the hotel. Tip: on Sundays, you should have no problem finding street parking for free.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was one of the nicest hotels ever! I went with my school and we were a pretty large group. The hotel handled it amazingly well and was very accommodating! Loved it and would love to go back again!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Hosborne 98,

Thank you so much for writing a review about our hotel – I agree that our staff truly is amazing! Whether traveling in a group or individually, our team will cater to your every need!

CA Central Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I spent last Friday and Saturday night at this hotel, taking in their buffet breakasts Sat and Sun morning. It couldn't have been a lovelier experience. From the lobby and staff to the room and breakfasts. It was all clean, professional, attractive, and delicious. The king room was large with wall to wall windows.
The taxi's waiting outside were newer ones and for $9.00 got us down to tidal basin for cherry blossoms. The next day for $11.00 to the Nationals game. We did self-park for $35, it's for a 24 hr. period, stopping at 5:00 the day you check out. We got back from the game at 5:30 and the parking people didn't charge us any extra...You will LIKE!!

2 Thank decency1st
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The lobby is very chic and the restaurant and bar are excellent! This hotel is well located next to shopping and restaurants. The Chinatown metro is very close. Rooms are well appointed and freshly decorated. I am so happy I stayed here!

Room Tip: I had a beautiful view of the Carnegie Library.
1 Thank JuliaArenaMiller
Dear JuliaArenaMiller,

Thank you so much for writing a review about our hotel. I do agree that we are in the heart of DC and our hotel is stylish and comfortable. Please come back and visit us again!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Nice modern hotel with lots of dining options (fine and otherwise, five guys nearby was my go to for a quick bite). Walking distance to China town and other destinations. Spacious rooms, friendly staff and even though they don't have a gym you get free entry to the gym next door that has beautiful amenities including steam room and endless pool. Would pick this hotel again for sure next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Yannick A
Dear YannickA,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our amazing hotel.

I agree that our hotel is truly centrally located in the heart of Washington, DC and is perfect for the traveler who wants to experience great dining options a few steps outside the hotel (and don’t forget our restaurant 15 Squares and our lounges, miXX and President’s Sports Bar!).

We have such a great relationship with Vida Health Club – the next time you are in town, I highly suggest you experience a facial or massage in our Aura Spa!

connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am a mother of two beautiful girls and we were in town to visit family and also take in the sights. I choose this hotel due to the location and the trip advisor reviews. First of all, two things that you have when you are traveling with children is location and space. We are used to two bedroom suites when we travel, so space was lacking in this hotel. The room was very beautiful and well decorated, but we were on top of each other. We were on the ninth floor and very close to elevator, but there was no noise. Location was perfect!. It is a 15 minutes walk to the national mall and museums. But even then there is so much on your way to see everything! You are right at chinatown which was bright and happening at night. The girls loved their comfy bed.
The staff was very much on top of their game and helped us out with everything! The Lobby was so shiny and new and way too pretty for words. Three things stand out about the trip. First, there is no welcome book in the rooms. Maybe ours was missing... but there was no book to tell us what is going on in the city or even the hotel. Second, there is massive construction across the street. Not to pretty to look at, but it is there. Third, There was someone's old t-shirt in the closet. Housekeeping just needs to check their list! But all in all I loved the hotel and would stay there again!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the construction zone!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear islandtravel07,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I appreciate your feedback about housekeeping and the welcome book – at Renaissance, we are all about discovery so every ambassador is a welcome book! Our Navigators have a discovery brochure at all touch points in the hotel; I do appreciate the fact that we should have an opportunity to include these in our wonderfully appointed guest rooms.

We welcome you to come back next year as the CityCenterDC project that is currently under construction across the street will be complete with over 300,000 square feet of dining and retail just outside our door!

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I attended a conference the second week of April at the Renaissance, and while it overall was a nice stay there were a few things that could have been better. When I checked in around 11 pm, the lobby smelled like rotten eggs which was a little off-putting. Luckily, I wasn't sleeping in the lobby so I made my way up to my room. The room itself was fine...a little sterile perhaps. A few minor irritations: no Q-tips, cotton balls; no small book with features of the hotel, such as check-out time. I was excited to be able to open my window and look out and see the city, however my room on the 11th floor looked directly on to the terrace. And what I mean by that is the terrace actually came right up to my window. So that means that people on the terrace could walk up to my window and look into my room...so needless to say, I kept the privacy drapes closed the whole time. Kind of irritating, kind of creepy. If you are given a room on the 11th floor, ask for another.

The hotel needs some sprucing up. The elevator was filthy and on more than one occasion, as a group of us rode on it to our rooms, the levels we had selected simply disappeared. Not the actual levels, but all the buttons we pushed in the elevator simply stopped lighting up and we had to all push them again. I just noticed that it was probably time for new towels, new sheets, repaired and cleaned elevator, etc.

Finally, customer service was pretty average. My check-in was okay (sans the rotten egg smell), but when I called on the phone to find out when check-out was (because there was nothing in the room that could help me with that), I was treated like a bother. I asked for a hour extension and was curtly told okay, but I was hesitant to ask for anything else. I don't expect much, but she was pretty rude. The day we left, the taxi line was so long and the bellman was overwhelmed, so we walked out to the street and got our own nearby.

However...the conference rooms at the hotel were very professional and very comfortable. We sat all day, and never did I feel uncomfortable. The meals (breakfast and lunch for two days), including all the snacks between sessions, was really, really good. I would recommend the Renaissance as a great place for a conference.

Overall, it was a good trip but there are some tweaks that would really help out. The hotel is pretty nice but needs some attention, the terrace on the 11th floor is really odd, but the food and conference facilities are fantastic.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 11th floor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear MDiddy605,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I certainly understand your frustration that you were given a room with a terrace view; however, you felt uncomfortable about being on that floor. I also appreciate your feedback about our service and the smell when entering the hotel and our elevators.

I have reviewed your information with our engineering department and our Delighted to
Serve team so we can continually educate our ambassadors on the focus of providing uncompromising excellent service.

I thank you for your reviews about our conference facilities. I have shared your great comments with our banquet and culinary teams and they were thrilled with your comments.

Please let me know the next time your travels return you to our Nation’s Capital!