“Perfect locale when attending the Convention Center” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel

You added Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ninth St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #59 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
“Perfect locale when attending the Convention Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned from meetings at the Washington DC Convention Center and stayed at the Renaissance for five days. Perfect location. Rooms are comfortable and staff is very gracious and accommodating. There is a very good restaurant on site for breakfast and lunch, but it is not open for dinner. You have to go out for dinner or rely on room service. This is not a handicap, but when making your reservation, you need to factor this into your plans.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Don W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel.

I agree that our location is perfect! I have shared your comments about our restaurant with our food and beverage team. Please note that President’s Sports Bar/Fire View has a wonderful dinner menu for those guests who choose to stay indoors. However, I also recommend that guests venture out as we have some of the most amazing restaurants that DC offers right out our front door!

We look forward to serving you and your conference attendees in the future!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Piercy, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was in DC for business for a few days last week and my usual favorite spot was booked full... so I tried out the famed renaissance downtown.
I walked in after a long day and the ambiance placed me in a great mood right off. I LOVE the lounge look and the lighting really helped me forget my hellish ordeal in DCA. I was greeted by a older bellman that gladly helped me with my luggage and parcels, and I was escorted to the front desk.
Now I check in and out of hotels every other week and I have never had any ambition to write a review before today. Whats the use I always thought...
But the gentleman that checked me in let me know about this site and seemed to actually value my opinion. That being said, I thought "what the hell" and thought I would give the goods and the bads on here in hopes that he is right about the management team being aware of the "chatter" out here in cyber space about their hotel.

The gentleman, Anderson (first name? last name?) set me up with a room on a high floor with a view that was surprisingly not facing any of the DC construction that seems rampant in that part of the city. he explained the lounge (which I loved and spent plenty of time enjoying... the manager even stopped by to personally ask how I was) and then the front desk gentleman made a point to make sure I wasnt overwhelmed with my assortment of baggage as I walked away from the check in spot. It wasnt until I walked away from the desk that I realized I had probably had one of the nicest most pleasant experiences from a hospitality agent I have ever encountered. (maybe this had to do with the fact that I dealt with 3 horrible airline people just hours prior..
but I digress..) what a kind young gentleman is the point.

Getting up to the room proved to be a bit of a hassle as it seemed the hotel was overran with drunk young men (later I found out they were having a microbrew convention or something) but once there the room was clean and and comfortable. I enjoyed being away from the chaos of downstairs and later when I called down to the "delightful to serve" people I was informed the rowdy group would be leaving the next day. so I was a pretty darn happy camper.

Overall I would say that this is a great hotel and the staff at both the desk and in the lounge were super. Kudos to a job well done.

PS install a better pool than that work out one. some people like to enjoy relaxing time and your roof top would be perfect for it. (the delightful people on the phone even agreed that it would be a neat idea)

enough of this... GO STAY HERE AND RATE IT... and bring your suit cause Im sure that pool is in the works as we speak

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear jordana w,

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit TripAdvisor and write a review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel.

I agree that our hotel is a haven for weary travelers who navigate airports, airlines and all the hassles that come from transportation. I appreciate your comments about Anderson and have shared them with him and his managers. In fact, based on your review, I have nominated Anderson for Marriott’s “SPIRIT TO SERVE” award.

Please let me know the next time your travels return you to our Nation’s Capital. We would love to become your new “favorite spot” to stay in DC!

Kansas City, Kansas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Renaissance is currently the closest hotel to the DC Convention Center (which, by the way, is very efficiently organized). Having undergone renovations and updating in recent years (at least since my last stay there ~4 yr ago), the rooms are nicely appointed. The lobby is a grand meeting place, with a feeling of openness as well as side rooms which allow a little more privacy. The restaurants in the hotel are good, but nearby eateries are abundant. The staff were all warm, friendly and helpful. Although all prices in Washington, DC are grossly inflated, access to the convention center, Metro, Chinatown and easy walking distance to many DC attractions make this hotel a nice option

Room Tip: Street noise can be a problem in DC. A room on the inside, while foregoing a view, will definitely b...
Dear DRWMETMAN,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I appreciate your comments about our recently renovated lobby and guest rooms – they are truly amazing and provide a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of our Nation’s Capital.

Please come visit again soon – in 2014, the CityCenter DC project will be completed and will add an additional 300,000 square feet of dining and retail directly across the street from the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown hotel!

Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here a couple of nights for a convention in town. Room was well appointed, clean and everything worked just fine. The location was perfect for my needs and the price was good If you're looking for something near the convention center I'd recommend this location. Hotel restaurant was good. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, as well as a spacious bar area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Richard H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after visiting our hotel for a convention.

I agree that our hotel, which has been newly renovated, is well appointed and so clean!

Between Starbucks or 15 Squares restaurant, we have many options for dining in the morning. For lunch and dinner or drinks, I would recommend miXX lounge or President’s Sports Bar or the many amazing restaurants within a short walking distance from our hotel.

We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I satyed at this hotel one noght, as it was the venue of a conference I was attending. The staff is excellent and very friendly. But the rooms are just the standard hotel box, without something to either distinguish it from any other box.

Although Chinatown is literally around the corner, there are better places to stay, e.g., the Washington Suites Hotel, 801 New Hampshire Ave., NW, where you get a huge suite, at half the price, and you can take a cab ($10) if you want to eat in Chinatown.

Room Tip: I'd find another place.
Dear Waterlaw,

Thank you for your candid feedback about our hotel. I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed the service provided by our ambassadors during your stay.

I certainly understand that there are many options for lodging in Washington, DC. I am sorry if our rooms did not live up to your expectations but hope that our service levels would encourage you to stay with us in the future!

Greenville, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at about 11:30 am. We decided to park at the hotel to start our excursion for the day. To our surprise after asking about check in times, the lady at the check in desk asked our name and informed us that we could go ahead and check into a room. Check in was quick and easy, the staff was very friendly. We self parked and put our bags in the room. It was an interior room and the view was of the downstairs lobby. Our entire stay at the hotel was nice and the staff was always polite and happy to help or give directions. The only negative thing I have to say about the hotel was the room was on the small side and I didn't feel like it was freshly cleaned. It was dusty and the floors needed to be cleaned. I didn't mention it to the staff and cleaned it myself. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would choose it again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Convenient downtown property near the Portrait Gallery and the American Art Museum. Close to Chinatown and Seventh St shopping and restaurants. Walked to Ella's for the best pizza in DC. This property is rated four stars, which must be based on the attentiveness of the staff. Rooms, while well maintained, are on the small side, and probably wouldn't be great for families. Room had coffee maker, and flat screen TV, but no refrig or micro. There is a charge to use wifi in room. Beautiful lobby, including a Starbucks. Downstairs there is a small food court, a post office, a dry cleaner. Used Priceline so this was an exceptional value; not sure if the room warrants the regular rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!