Just back travelling through usa and canada finishing in Washinton. for some reason our agent didnt book us into the Four Seasons as we normally would apparently 'this was the best hotel' ! Best hotel... believe me Its not even 2*
We arrived at the Mayflower one evening at 7.15 to be told there was no restaurant as it was 'under renovation'. Had i known that any part of a hotel was under renovation i would not accept it. This was the first i had heard of it . Huge part of reception is blocked off with wooden boarding, an absolute eyesore. Hotel is incredibly dated - looks like a down market english sea side hotel.
We were told a limited food service was being provided in a designated room. We hadnt eaten since 9.30am that morning having flown in from Miami so were famished. We went to this 'substitute restaurant room' and to be frank i wouldnt let a dog eat there. We immediately left for our bedroom (big but incredibly dated. Also as another reviewer mentioned desperately noisy as above the subway!) to order room service which seemed the only alternative. It was a limited menu to say the least about 10 items. there were no vegetarian options, which was staggering. We rang room service to be told there wasnt even pasta! .... hello??? the most staple food in any restaurant
Then called the manager who said she would look into it. Called back to say sorry there was pasta! didnt know what sort so was going to send up an 'updated menu'. 15 minutes later nothing arrived. called down again to be told 'on way'. then a guy turned up with two hang over the door breakfast menus. Called down again, by this time getting understandably fed up, manager came up personally (without 'updated menu' ) took our order for pasta in a cheese sauce (we are talking basic meal here) and a cheese plate and would get it to us in 30 minutes. I had at this point asked that she call the Four Seasons and see if a room was available as id never encountered this before in all my years of travelling. By this time it was 8.15pm and we were understandably starving.
At 8.45pm Room Service called to say sorry they dont have pasta. is this some sort of joke? explained manager had personally taken order and insisted there was. Called Manager who said would check with kitchen and call back. Yes there was pasta and it would 'be ready in 3 minutes' and that she was 'checking with the four seasons'. well 15 minutes later it arrived. It was bone dry pasta which was cold with no sauce and a teaspoon of grated cheddar cheese on top. no cheese board. This is no longer remotely funny. The guy that brought it up said 'the kitchen doesnt have any sauces' Called Manager who was appalled and very apologetic. Demanded the four seasons number, she said she'd call back with it (if shed called them as she said why didnt she have number to hand??!!)
I called the four seasons and booked a room. it then took them over 15 minutes to bring our bags down. arrived at the Four Seasons........bliss. Be warned avoid this hotel at all costs
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel effortlessly blends historic tradition and modern luxury here in the heart of the Nation's Capital. Once described by President Truman as Washington, DC's "second best address", our hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and has captivated visitors since opening its doors in 1925. Many of the luxury touches that originally graced the hotel have been preserved - along with contemporary amenities designed to enhance your stay. 657 Guest rooms and 74 luxury suites boast marble bathrooms and deluxe bath products; flat-screen TVs and high-speed Internet access allow you to relax or connect as you see fit. Our magnificent Mayflower Suite features a private terrace with stunning Washington, DC views. Hosting an event? We offer sophisticated venue space to suit any occasion. And our prime downtown location enables you to explore this fascinating city with ease. Book an unforgettable stay with us at The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Marriott so you can book your The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayflower Hotel Washington Dc
- Renaissance Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Renaissance
- Renaissance Mayflower Hotel
- Mayflower Hotel Dc