“Nice Hotel, Good Service, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #76 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
boston
“Nice Hotel, Good Service, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2006

I decided to book the Mayflower for our extended family's trip to DC to celebrate my parents' 75th birthdays. I chose it due to good rates, availability of a suite for my parents that was reasonably priced, and the location. I feared some of the more recent reviews of the hotel on this site--almost switched my reservations--and found the Mayflower to be a terrific hotel for our group (ages ranged from 10 to 75).

It's possible that our experience was more positive since we are Marriott rewards members and it was a slow week at the hotel (between Christmas and New Years). We had booked a two room suite for my parents at a rate of $269. And my brother and I booked regular rooms at $169. Prior to arrival, I called and requested free upgrades. They honored our request and gave both of us "Executive Rooms". These rooms have two double beds with a much larger sitting area, a foyer/hallway and nice bathroom. We were on the fifth floor overlooking a side street and found the hotel--both inside and out--to be quite quiet. The only negative on noise was the garbage truck that visited the side street around 7:30 every morning (but we were usually awake).

The concierge, Azi, could not be more accommodating. Great dinner and lunch suggestions (not too pricey but nice) and also gave us tickets to the Holocaust Museum (they are free but do prevent you from waiting in line). When my son got sick, she offered to call a doctor, get him tea and honey, etc. Also got us late check out and the manager personally came to tell him just to let him know if we needed an even later checkout under the circumstances. Very caring. And the front desk was great with some complicated billing (we paid for part of my parents' stay so I needed that moved to my bill).

Yes, the decor is more traditional than a more modern hotel but we like that feeling. You do feel like you are part of Old Washington as they don't make lobbies, etc. like this anymore. The hotel has recently refurbished all of the rooms and the rooms were spotless with comfy beds. They are still renovating the lobby so that was a pain--no place for an a la carte breakfast. And we did wish that they had a coffeemaker and safe in the rooms.

The location is great. Less than a block from the red line of the Metro which we found convenient. Nice upscale shopping (though we did little of it), a CVS close by and plenty of local restaurants to satisfy your dining needs.

We weren't charge dfor internet service...don't know why.

I would highly recommend the Mayflower to tourists visiting D.C. They are very accommodating and seem to understand the importance of good service.

• Liked — Friendly staff and larger executive rooms
  • Disliked — No coffeemaker
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a free upgrade!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2006

Stayed in the Mayflower for 3 nights in December. Prior to arrival we'd requested a no smoking, King room on a high floor - this request apparently hadn't been passed on.

The first room we were given had a fabulous view of the back of buildings and the ventilation plant - nice, so we asked to be moved.

They moved us to the only room left in the hotel - a room with a stree view, but queen beds.

They told us they would see if they could move us after night one - but the the hotel was totally full all week - so no move for us (and no contact to tell us that this would not be possible).

All of that was dissapointing as we booked 11 months ago, so would ave expected a decent room which matched the request we made.

All that said, the hotel staff were OK, but the bar staff were great.

The hotel location was good for things like the White House, but there did not seem to be a lot of choice for eating and drinking in the area - so I think we would re-think staying in this area again.

Over all the hotel was fine - just disspointed with the room.

• Liked — The bar
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you double ceck your room request before arrival
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

It's a beautiful hotel in a great location. But a beautiful lobby doesn't make up for poor service, inadequate business accomodations, and outlandish prices.

Within an hour after I had checked in (at 10:00 pm) the following occurred:
1) The desk clerk was delightful. Best part of my stay so far.
2) I got into my room and discovered that the lighting was very poor. There are two lamps in the entire room. One between the two beds, and one at the desk. Even the desk lamp would hardly qualify as task lighting. No hallway light. No reading light. No overhead light. (Why do hotel rooms never have overhead lights??) There is an armchair by the window which would be nice for kicking back with a book, except that you couldn't possibly see well enough to read there except in full daylight. The desk is also quite small and internet access is $10 per day.
3) I decided to order room service as I had not had dinner. Room service took my order, then lost it and called me back to have me repeat it, then delivered my eggs without the promised toast, then delivered the toast dry with no butter or jam. For my scrambled eggs with 4 slices of potato and dry toast, and about 6 oz of iced tea, I paid over $20. And that was the bargin on the room service menu. They were at least very fast.
4) The metro train went by three or four times. It's loud. And it keeps going till 2 in the morning or so. (I was on the 4th floor facing Connecticut Street. It might be better on the other side.) The street noise in general is pretty bad, and that's at 11:00 pm. I'm wondering what it will be like in the morning.
5) I discovered that there is nowhere to buy a soda except the in-room bar, where it costs $4.25.
5) I hung a skirt (not a heavy skirt, just a skirt) on the shower rod and the shower rod fell off the wall. The bracket had clearly broken before, and was now beyond repair. Fortunately I take baths, not showers, so I told the desk clerk not to bother trying to fix it till the next day. (We'll see if it actually gets fixed.)

Another minor annoyance: Every time I call room service or the front desk, the phone rings MANY times before they pick up. I'll grant you that it's now close to midnight, but not what I expected from a "full service" hotel.

For my money (and a lot less of my money at that), I'll give up crystal and marble next time for better service and more business-friendly accomodations at one of the Marriott's less prestigous properties.

• Liked — The bed is great.
  • Disliked — The noise will wake you up early in spite of the great bed.
  • Tips/Secrets — Send a letter on the stationairy. You'll impress your friends.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

A beautiful hotel...no doubt about that. The bed was the most comfortable one I have ever slept in! The 4 star service ends there, however. The door man only opened the door if you were wearing a suit or fur coat...he ignored the rest of us. My room was very small...but VERY clean. No fridge (cost extra), no coffee maker (in lobby only), no internet (cost extra). I'm a walker and loved walking around the city...but there isn't a whole lot around the hotel itself. Just banks, businesses, hotels, and churches. I do recommend the Improve comedy right across the street...and the Daily Grill (expensive), Fudruckers (moderate), Chipoletes (moderate). If you want to do anything in the city ,the metro is right across the street. Cheap, fast, and convienent. Walking to the White House was a waste...you come up to the back side of it, and it's another 1/2 mile to see any other landmarks. Take the metro instead.

• Liked — comfort of the bed was fantastic
  • Disliked — no extras...nothng to do around the hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — stay here if you have a lot of money to spend on cabs, otherwise take the metro
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ImOnHoliday
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

This is such a boring, mediocre hotel. I think that it was last decorated during the Reagan administration, by Nancy herself.
If that's your thing, then you'll love this place. It's not mine, so I didn't.

Didn't Monica Lewinsky stay here during the trials? The best thing about the hotel, like many in DC, is the whole politician-gone-bad undertone that makes you think you might run into someone like Tom Delay or Marion Barry.

As me and my friend were parking our car on the quiet hotel side street, we saw two 50-somethings --ahem -- enjoying one another's company in the side entrance of the hotel, which, albeit very amusing, didn't really make me feel great about staying there. When I walked through the lobby, either secret service or some other body-guard entourage was hanging out at the lobby bar. Maybe their client was the one [---] the PTA mom outside?

I paid around $425 per night for this piece of Connecticut Avenue magic, which is crazy. I had a suite, but it was decorated so horribly that I hid in the bedroom. Every morning, when I woke up and walked out of the bedroom and into the living room, I had the distinct feeling as though I had spent the night at my grandparent's house. They even had the same tv-in-console contraption that was all the rage in the 80's. No wireless internet, only one ethernet connection in the living room. I'm sure they'll add wi-fi around 2015, since that seems to be the pace of things in this place.

The location is great, making it very easy to quickly slip away from your awful hotel experience.

Overall, I cannot imagine a stuffier experience. The silver lining to this type of place is that it makes you appreciate places like Kimpton Hotels so much more -- so it provides a nice amount of contrast to truly nice hotels.

• Liked — Great location.
  • Disliked — The stuffy atmosphere
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a Kimpton Hotel ahead of time.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2006

I just stayed four nights at the Mayflower. Unfortunately, my room was on the fourth floor on the back side of the hotel. The last night of my stay I was awakened at two in the morning by loud noises from the huge ventilation system right under my window. It was too late to change rooms, and the front desk didn't offer any other solutions, nor call me back after they said they'd research the problem.

Otherwise, a nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We stayed at the Mayflower for a wedding last week. We spent 5 nights and it was wonderfull. The room was small, and a little oddly organized. The TV was to the side of the bed.We were on the 10th floor facing the street and I was suprised that you could still hear the Metro from that height, so I imagine that the lower floors are probably pretty loud. When we checked in they offered us a free fridge for our room, and were glad that we did, because there are no soda machines, and a can of Pepsi was $4.75 from the minibar.
The best part of the hotel is the location. The 1st day I grabbed some free coffee from the louge downstairs and went for a walk. I was at the White House in less than 10 minutes.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a free in room fridge
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel? Share your experiences!