We were offered a free upgrade to an executive room. The room was furnished in a traditional style with old TV etc. The cups provided for coffee were paper (poor for a 4 star), there was no milk (fresh or in a pot) and the mini bar would not open. There was make up on the pillow (had clearly not been washed) and a hair in the bath. The AC was functionless and blew cold air but this did not appear to cool the room. We complained (twice) and were told the manager would come to our room - she did not turn up.
I would have checked out at this point but having prepaid, there was little alternative and we accepted a further upgrade to a suite with the same decor. Again, there was a hair in the bath but I had given up by this point.
The manager stated that he would leave something in our room (another hair perhaps) but didn't bother (clearly they lead by incompetence in this place).
Despite being offered free internet by Expedia, the hotel tried to charge me, claiming I should have known (presumably by telepathy) that the free internet was wireless and on the mezzanine level. As expected, the internet didn't work anyway.
The coffee was not refilled after one night (how cheap can you get) so I asked for more. Guess what? It didn't turn up.
The whole stay was an utter shambles. They claim to have refurbished the place but it is tired with evidence of wear throughout. Don't be fooled by the grand entrance and hallway - the rooms and level of service are utterly incongruous.
I would avoid this place. There are much better places to stay and they managed to ruin part of our honeymoon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known as the progressive Grand Dame of the nation's capital, The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel is a 4-diamond luxury hotel and a proud member of Historic Hotels of America. With a timeless aura highlighted by an abundance of modern conveniences, our historic hotel is perfectly located in the heart of downtown with iconic attractions like the White House and National Mall just minutes away. Our hotel features 650 guest accommodations and 74 handsomely-appointed suites each with signature Renaissance bedding and Aveda bath products. Ideal for leisure and business, our hotel offers exceptional meeting, banquet and event space, complete with an on-site floral boutique, multiple dining options and a Thomas Pink retail store. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Marriott, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayflower Hotel Washington Dc
- Renaissance Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Renaissance
- Renaissance Mayflower Hotel
- Mayflower Hotel Dc