“An Amazing Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mayflower Hotel

You added The Mayflower Hotel to your Saves list
The Mayflower Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1127 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Formerly The Mayflower Renaissance Washington DC) (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #79 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“An Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I loved the location of the Mayflower Renaissance Washington. The central location was ideal and in close proximity to a lot of site;however, I was there to attend a convention which provided shuttle service to the Convention Center. When it was difficult to have a place to store luggage prior to departing, the hotel provided a room for all luggage to be stored. This was a great gesture of service.

Room Tip: The staff is extremely helpful. The service is superb. The location is ideal. The hotel's dec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The Mayflower is a classic DC hotel. All the cab drivers will know when you say, "The Mayflower" because it is a landmark. The hotel is central to many great restaurants and shopping.

The rooms and bathrooms are small, which makes sense given its age. I thought the rooms were well-maintained and very tastefully decorated.

The early morning (4:15 am) desk attendant and bell hop were fabulous and helpful. I was assured there would be a taxi at the crazy hour of 4:15 AM for a drive to the airport on a Saturday...and they were right!

There were a number of us there for an event and we all had a good experience. One Person in our group had a constantly running toilet, but after asking for a room change all was resolved with ease. Kudos to the desk folks for being very accommodating!

I would return to the Mayflower.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

It was about six years since I stayed at the Mayflower, so I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into a totally new looking and feeling lobby. It was well done, bright, contemporary and well lit. Yet, I quickly realized that something was amiss, when there was no one at the front desk to check me in. Someone did come, but having to wait for someone to greet you at a hotel (including at the front door) is not what you expect from the property that bills it self as Washington's second best address. When I got to my room, i noticed a not so low "Hum" and looked outside the window and saw that the room was near a generator (or something) and that this would have gone on all night. I called the front desk (and also realized that it's hard to get the front desk and/or in room dining directly on the phone) and asked to be moved, which I eventually was. While waiting to be moved, I noticed two empty refrigerators in the room -- one which reminded me of the type I took to my dorm room at college. Curious, that they were both empty. Yet, looking around, I noticed dents in all the wood furniture, which made for a pretty dim looking room, which no painting on the wall can mask. I was moved to a room that had no outdoor sounds, but which had furniture with lots of dents and scratches. Even the soap dish in the bathroom was chipped. When I picked up the television remote, I noticed the back of it (where the batteries go), was missing. This is just sloppy and not well maintained. I can't argue if the decor is not my "taste", but can get annoyed for rooms that are not well kept. I could go on about how room service was late and other points, but think you get the point here. I don't often like to make "complaints" publicly -- yet my brief experience was pretty poor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Prior to visiting Washington DC we'd read a whole load of mixed reviews bout this hotel, but we went with and open mind. And guess what in our opinion we'd use the hotel again, we had a great time. It location is perfect for those people who enjoy sight seeing and want a bit of atmosphere in the evenings. The hotel is situated about 10 minutes walk from the White House, and 15 minutes in the other direction you'll find yourself in DuPont circle.

The lobby is impressive with a mezzanine floor above it with very nice seating area and business center, which you can use to check in for your flights for free. Back in the lobby the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Checking was painless and only took us about 5 minutes. As was checkout a few days later.

A big plus point in our eyes are the elevators in a hotel, if they work and are timely in any hotel its a real bonus, if they do all this when you have two major conferences on in the hotel is a double bonus. even at peak times we never had to wait for more 30 seconds for a lift, and they never seemed to be full. Good sign

We had a very nice room at the rear of the building, larger and well furnished. OK so some things are a bit tired, new light switches and a lick of paint of some well worn door frames would add to the overall ambiance, but hey those are minor details. It was clean and tidy, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was spacious enough with a bath and great shower in it. We had no problems with the water temperature of the water at any stage during our stay.

Air-conditioning was efficient, a little noisy possible but nothing that stopped wither of us sleeping or relaxing.

The concierge desk was always manned with very efficient and polite staff who did everything from give out advice about places to eat/visit to arrange transfers to and from Dulles for us, great people who always have a smile and some useful tips for the first time visitor the the city. The duty manager and house detective always seem to be on hand in the lobby and are very helpful and friendly. As are all the staff we met during our visit. The newly refurbished Bar/Restaurant is very nice, We only had breakfast in it and my one tip for people like us (i.e those who eat reasonable portions) choose from the menu don't go for the buffet. believe it or not if all you want is coffee and say eggs, bacon and toes its cheaper off the menu. If you eat a hearty breakfast then by all means head to the buffet table.

Obviously the hotel has a large conference scene during the week so a lot of business types around during the week as well as a few of us tourists (This was late Sept). The hotel caters well of all young, the not so young and the older customer and everyone seem to go along with not problems at all.

One point I will say, which is recurring is the WiFi is fee in the lobby but you have to pay for it in your room, and at peak times the lobby service is swamped even though they have two or three systems set up (conference, Lobby and another service I can not recall now).

I could keep on writing about the hotel, but I'll leave you with this thought. Its a fine old hotel with loads of history, a great location and wonderfully helpful staff, close to metro stations or easy walking distance to all the main attractions. Don't judge he place because some of us aren't to careful with our bag going in an out of rooms and chip a bit of paint. its a good place to stay for all. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

One last thing it doesn't have a swimming pool, and no one advertises prior to your arrival, but if you see a member of staff you can get access to one right around the corner.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the rear of the building I'm told its quieter, we certainly didn't have a p...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't ask for more from a hotel. Wonderful beds and linens and towels. Surrounded by every kind of restaurant one could ask for from Italian to Seafood to Greek and a wonderful breakfast hideaway called the Luna cafe one block away. Great bar and banquet and meeting facilities for hundreds. Friendly service from the people at the door to the housemaids. Would not hesitate to return.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Whenever I visit the District, I stay at The Mayflower. It is conveniently located within the city, a great place to people watch, AND there is a Filene's Basement across the street for us savvy shoppers! The staff is friendly and professional. I particularly commend the hotel for having one of the finest concierges I have ever met. Her name is Azi. If you choose to stay there, please tell Azi that Bonnie said hello.

Room Tip: Unless you don't mind the sound of a dumpster early in the morning, do not get a room over the a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here for three nights, Septemebr 21-24. The hotel has outstanding history. The lobby is amazing. Location good, about 4 blocks from the White House. Sadly, the rooms, at least my room, needs improving. It was hard to slept with the old-fashioned air conditioner running all night with rest periods of maybe 5 minutes before it started again for an hour at a time. The breakfast buffet in the Edgar rooms needs some freshing up. All the staff were outstanding. If you like the history that is the Mayflower, this is your hotel. If you want a modern hotel room, this isn't it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family