“Lovely Old Lady in DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel

You added The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel to your Saves list
The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1127 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #83 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Jonesboro, Arkansas
“Lovely Old Lady in DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

After reading reviews of the Mayflower, I was prepared for a disappointing stay. That was definitely not the case. The hotel staff was exceptionally friendly and willing to offer assistance. My room was quite large and very interestingly shaped--not the standard rectangular box of a room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was really quiet. I did not hear any noise from adjoining rooms. My room faced 17th street but it was high enough to block out traffic sounds.
I had several meals there. The food was very good but I cannot comment on the prices since our meals were covered by the sponsor. I can say that drinks at the bar were outrageously expensive.
I travel to DC fairly often and would definitely consider returning to the Mayflower.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Connecticut Avenue if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Quick business trip to DC in early January. I arrived after a transcontinental flight and was greeted warmly by the doorman. Upon check-in, I was offered (and gratefully accepted) a complimentary glass of champagne, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I'd been upgraded to a suite, even though I'm only a Silver member. And what a suite it was... large foyer, nicely decorated sitting room with fireplace, comfy couch and chairs, huge plasma TV, and a nice desk/work area. Bedroom was about the size of a normal hotel room and the bathroom was huge, with soaking tub and large shower. Everything was sparkling clean. Only thing missing was a bathrobe (I was surprised about that). The staff is first-rate and the public areas (lobby, bar, etc) are also beautifully decorated. I only wish I'd had more time to enjoy the suite. Next time I'm in DC, I'll be back at the Mayflower.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed just one night and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was delicious. The price was right. What more could you want?!? Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2012
Midlothian, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I stayed one night at the Mayflower as I took my husband to D.C from Va. for his birthday. I stayed in a suite on the 5th floor. They did say they have been going through some renovations but I couldn't tell. The lobby was magnificent! lovely chandeliers line up from the lobby all the way to the back entrance. The front desk staff was very helpful and attending staff pleasant. We did get a complimentary bottle of red along with some chocolate covered strawberries for his birthday-which I thought was a nice touch. The bed was absolutely divine and I sank into the pillows. Everything you can expect from a luxury hotel. My husband loved it. I would stay there again in the event I want to splurge in D.C!

Room Tip: This is in the city so if you don't want the late night workers peeping at your window choose th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I have stayed 6 nights at the Mayflower Renaissence DC hotel. I had a problem when I arrived because I didn't get a suit as I always have with any Marriott as a platinum member, couldn't been professionaly fixed by the front desk. I tried to reach the GM's office the next day. His PA sorted out this problem in less than 5 minutes by connecting me to Mr. Tewfik Maki, the front office manager, who went out of his way to make it up to me. I have also received a very nice "apology" from Ms. Jennifer Laughner, guest service manager, which was touching & kind. I must than Mr. Maki here because he was extremely accommodating & generous. I had the best stay due to his professionalism & impressive manner. Also, I must add that unlike most managers, he is always available at the lobby to greet guests & to offer help when needed. I must thank also Mr. Rudy, the concierge lounge attendant for his cheerfulness & understanding. Suits are spacious, clean, comfortable & quite, great location & reliable WIFI, excellent doormen. The only 2 comments is about the over priced wine at the bar & the front desk employees who should be trained more. This hotel is one of the few historical & elegant in DC & everything should match. I highly recommend this hotel & I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Can not tip as I am a heavy sleeper but concierge level would be great if available.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Stained carpets, cracked leather furniture fail to impress on first entry to the once elegant lobby. Rooms aren't much better and are in desparate need of updating. Room furniture is stained, wooden furniture such as desks are all worn and need repairs. The rooms may be clean, but the depressing decor and state of the furnishings gives suspicion that they aren't.

This may be one of the old "grand dames" of D.C., but it could certainly use a major facelift. It certainly won't attract my business until they do. Not exactly a flagship showpiece for the Renaissance brand I would say.

• Stayed January 2012
Fairview Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Our upgraded-to-suite room was large. Oddly, though, the "antique" furnishings in our suite just looked old and beat-up. 3 adults staying in our room but only one bed. Asked for rollaway. It didn't arrive. We went out and about, came back several hours later, called for a rollaway again. It was delivered shortly. What I really didn't like was the $20 charge for the rollaway. Nowhere is that listed on the website, and at no time did anyone mention that there was a charge. The charge was removed from the bill at checkout when I complained.
The hotel is in a very good location. I wanted to like it, but it felt impersonal. We booked at a very low holiday rate and knew that parking was $45/day. (btw - there was a long wait for a parking attendant to take our vehicle) Our rate included breakfast for 2 adults and 2 (not sure that was specified) children. We had 3 adults, so we were charged $25 for the 3rd breakfast buffet. I was not particularly offended, even though the logic escapes me. 2 kids make more dirty dishes and probably eat as much as our 3rd adult, but oh well.
In conclusion, I'd say that I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to any of our friends or family. Stay on the outskirts of town and Metro in, or stay somewhere else in town.

Room Tip: Always ask for a high floor when staying at a city hotel. Too much street noise otherwise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel? Share your experiences!