“Good summer time hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Plaza

You added Washington Plaza to your Saves list
Washington Plaza
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Park & Stay Package
Ranked #37 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good summer time hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Have stayed here several times whilst on business during the summer.
Good sized rooms, nice to get complimentary water in room.
Big outside space with nice pool & convenient to have a bar by the pool.
Pool definitely makes the hotel.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am delighted to know that our accommodations keep you returning to our hotel each time you are in Washington, DC. Being comfortable during business travel is so important, and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful pool. It’s such a great place to relax after a long day. We look forward to your next visit to Washington, DC and the Washington Plaza Hotel!

Tom Casey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Terrific service from the front desk to the restaurant. The room was spacious and very clean and had all the amenities. We had a balcony overlooking the pool which was an added and unexpected bonus! The breakfasts were reasonably priced and the food was good quality. The hotel is centrally located and within a 30 -40 minute walk to the museums and Capitol Hill. Great restaurants in the Logan Circle area, P Street and 14th Street.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and on floors 1 - 4 there is a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great comments and the 5-star review! I’m delighted to hear you had a terrific experience at our hotel and glad you enjoyed the delicious breakfast from 10 Thomas Restaurant. Please come back and see us again soon!

Hudson, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night here and were surprised with a free upgrade to a king bed with a balcony. The room was huge and very clean. The hotel is located in a convenient and safe location - you can easily walk to the Washington Mall and downtown locations. The only downside is the $30 parking fee.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm delighted we were able to give you a complimentary upgrade to a king room. I’m pleased to see that the location of the hotel suited your visit to Washington, DC. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Every employee at this hotel was smiling and helpful! I was amazed. The price was very reasonable (best parking rate in DC), 1.3 miles to the National Mall, and great restaurants easily within a half mile. The pool looked very inviting, though we did not have the opportunity to uses it. Clean, remodeled rooms which had everything we needed. Bed was very comfortable (I'm picky) and the bedding was fresh and modern. We were very pleased with our weekend getaway at Washington Plaza Hotel.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a 9th floor suite. One bedroom, sitting area with pull-out bed, and two bathroo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your weekend getaway. I’m delighted to hear you had such a great stay and you were so impressed with our accommodations. We want all of our guests to feel comfortable at our hotel, and I'm glad to see that our team's hospitality could top it all off. We hope you have the chance to stay with us again in the near future!

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I booked this hotel bc I was attending the APA convention at the Walter Washington Convention Center. It was a 20 minute enjoyable walk, bc of the sidewalks on Mass Ave. The closest Metro station is McPherson Square, a 5 minute easy walk http://www.wmata.com/rail/station_detail.cfm?station_id=36 There is a 24 hr CVS very close by and it was extremely convenient to buys some snacks. After my check in, the front desk called me to check if everything was satisfactory and I greatly appreciated the call. The room was extremely clean and I was so happy with the TV stations that they had. They had NFL Network, NBA, NBC Sports, HBO, I was in heaven watching football late at night. The bed was very comfortable and it had at least 4 pillows. Great office desk next to the bed that I was able to setup my laptop and use both the wifi and ethernet connections. Free Wifi by the way, very easy to setup using a Mac laptop. Finally they offered a free delivery of the Washington Post and that was great. I was not able to use the pool but many people appeared to have a great time out there, enjoying the water and their drinks. One suggestion that I have as an environmentalist is for the hotel to expand their green program beyond towels/sheets. For example, maybe they can offer recycling bins for paper or what they think would be best utilized. Overall, a great experience. When I visit DC again with my family, I will book my stay again with them. I am sure my children would enjoy the pool and my wife would enjoy the restaurants that they have on site.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your high praise of our property! I’m delighted to learn you had such a pleasant stay and were satisfied with your accommodations. We will definitely consider your advice regarding the recycling bins. We look forward to welcoming you back for another convention, but more preferably a leisure getaway with your family.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This hotel is wonderful. Clean, comfortable, the louge has a great view from the street and the pool. The rooms are so nice, with so many conveniences, and one important thing...very quiet.
The rooms I had opportunity to stay in, first in January 2012 and then in May 2012, are all very high level.
The service is great, the food was great. The surrounding is very safe, I could walk nearby at night.
I could use the phone and internet services and they worked really nice to a person for other country like me.
I would go back to Washington Plaza.

Room Tip: every room is great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. It’s wonderful to know that our hotel rooms and amenities were to your liking. I’m delighted to hear that you would stay with us again and we all look forward to welcome you back!

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

When I booked this hotel I did so thinking ( rather reading on the sites) that this place is very conveniently located. The hotel failed me miserably on that account. We had to take taxis everywhere… In Washington cabs are expensive, in fact more than NYC and if I add the cab fare to the hotel costs I could have stayed in a 5* property on the Mall outskirts.
In Washington everything is around the mall or Foggy Bottom. So if you are staying there you save a lot in commuting charges which is what we as a family would prefer. Minimum taxi fare in Washington is $10 so if you are staying near the mall e.g. in the Holiday Inn , you directly save that amount in one go and you are not in the mercy of public transport.
Now coming to other consideration factors – The hotel was definitely nicely appointed. Bright, well lit, nice pool ( no we didn’t use the pool , if I have to swim I rather stay at home but saw it and it was not big but was nice).. The rooms were clean, bright and happy colour combinations. The bathroom was tiny … like capsule tiny.
What I hated about the hotel is the fact that they did not have a coffee shop operating beyond 10 PM. We didn’t expect this so one day when we returned at 11PM almost went hungry when te service desk offered to order pizzas for us. Not ideal but did fine.
The final thing that irked me a lot was the fact that when the final bill came they charged us for parking and valet ( a substantial amount) when we didn’t even have a car. They also charged us for orders at their café when we had not even stepped in the same. When we pointed that out they promptly reversed the charges, but I am just thinking if we opted for an express check in these charges would come to me and then I would be spending 100s in IDD calls for their reversal.
Overall, I was not too satisfied. When I was looking for hotels I found some others at the same cost and when I passed them they looked as better bets. Next time in Washington I will not stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I was very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction with your stay at our property. I’m sorry that our location was not convenient for your needs. We historically have scored very high and received positive comments with regards to our location as seen in previous reviews. I sincerely apologize for our hotel not meeting your expectations and for any inconvenience we caused you. If you would like to further comment on your stay, please contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com.