“Good hotel for a weekend travel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Plaza

You added Washington Plaza to your Saves list
Washington Plaza
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #34 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good hotel for a weekend travel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I´ve staied for a weekend to visit Washington DC and was a great choice! It´s located near The White House and it´s not so far to walk to museums and monuments. There are some good restaturants nearby. I really recommend this hotel for people who want to spend a couple of days visiting Washington DC for the first time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for the 5-star review! I’m glad to hear that our central location suited your visit to Washington, DC. We appreciate you recommending us to others and we look forward to welcome you back for another weekend getaway.

Tom Casey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

From Start to finish:
Courteous staff at check-in. Prompt and friendly. Car parked by Valet for $25 per night on sight vs self-parking which frankly, is nowhere to be found. We had a good rate on our room, ~190 per night with AAA and for this reason I'm sure, we were placed in a room on the 9th (highest) floor with a view predominantly of the roof of an adjacent building. From what I've seen, the 2nd to fourth or fifth floors poolside, have balconies. I wouldn't pay the premium for these rooms unless they are a bit larger. There are ~ 4 elevators to the rooms and zero wait time. First step off the elevator there was a faint musty smell. The walk down the hall was hallucinogenic, with a carpet that makes you think you're in Willy Wonka-land. The room is typical in that the bathroom is situated near the door. The sink area is separate from the toilet/shower area. There is a small area that houses a clothing rack, ironing board and a safe.
The shower area is small and I found it annoying for the kids. The decor is modern, beds very clean and quite comfortable. There is a desk with an overhead lamp, a minifridge, a cabinet and two dresser drawers. There is a large flat screen TV. Housekeeping service very good. they supply you with fresh bottles of water each day. One quick note, I'm a tap water drinker, but DC's is horrid, really! horrid. The atmosphere in the hotel is quiet, which is a plus.
In the hotel there is a very small work-out room that has two ellipticals, three treadmills and free weights. Ice water on site. Two ATMs and One Gift shop. mostly though its for things you forgot to pack or a candy trap for kids..Pool outdoors, big, clean. Depth 3 to 9 feet. Lifeguard. Numerous chairs and umbrellas. Rinsing shower, small bar. Towels provided. The restaurant onsite is 10 Thomas, we treated ourselves to it for one night as financially is quite prohibitive to the average Joe, but it was worth every penny. Delicious from start to finish. A few blocks north are nice places to eat that are average in price with casual environment. Lots of 30 somethings around...The best place we found was called the Commisary on P street and 14th NW, about a ten minute walk. There is also a Starbucks, Caribou Cafe. Commisary is great for breakfast, esp[ with kids, priced right and food is good. Dinner is OK, but must say their thincrust pizzas are awesome. Next door is the Logan, a little pricier and uptight, but great for dinner. Lunch for us was usually random while seeing the sites. As for the area. If you're looking for chic book nearer to the White house/mall area. This hotel is located to the north. Per my observation and walks through, as a NYer, it very much reminds me of SoHo. OK but sketchy in places, wouldn't walk around after 10pm. Overall, stay was OK but not impressed enough to go back or recommend. Bus system outside the door. Easiest is bus 52 on 14th street down to Independance, a not too arduous walk to the mall area.
Subway takes a bit more strategizing if you're not familiar with the system.
DC with kids younger than 14 in my opinion is a waste of time. My 12 and 10 year old were impressed only with some exhibits in the Air and Space and Natural History, otherwise all they did was complain about the walking and the heat underscored their misery.
That's about it! Hope it was helpful

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your pros and cons about our hotel on TripAdvisor. Although your experience was not as pleasant as we want it to be, we value your feedback. It is encouraging to know that overall, you were pleased with your accommodations and services provided. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed our pool as well as the delicious meals from Ten Thomas Restaurant. However, I am disappointed to hear that you weren’t impressed enough with our hotel to come back. I am sincerely sorry for our hotel not meeting your expectations, but I do hope that you will give us another try on your next visit to Washington, DC.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Clean,well maintained,spatious room,free coffee,tea and water bottle in the room,fridge. Big and clean pool.Noise from street.
Take care about the exaggerated value of the deposit: for 3 days they asked me 200$!! Calculate yourself how much they ask for more days,they calculated according to the number of days booked.
Then: to check out to the reception They Had Not my money cash (wich i left as deposit)to gave me back!! And! After a receptionist gave me the money-my deposit-from her,they take me AGAIN (to check out!!!) the same soum-the deposit-from my card! Unbelievable!! Of course they had absolutely any reason to take that money to check out from my card! And the manager from reception lied me for stop my protests, she told me that in fact that soum is for the reservation,but of course the reservation has already been paid.Ok,they cancelled that abusive transaction after 1 day,but they ruined my trip with their unbelievable actions.
So,don't get ripped off,go somewhere else,are many hotels around.
In the last 3 years I booked almost 60 hotels in all continents but this didn't happened to me fortunately to any hotel till now.

Room Tip: Ask for a room wich not faicing the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
I am very sorry to read of your experience. Please contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com if you would like to further discuss your concerns.

Forest, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I can't really say anything particularly bad, b/c the stay wasn't terrible.....but there were things that could have been better. I wasn't blown away and doubt I would stay here again when back in DC.

PROS
Allowed us to check in early and check out late.
Nice, clean pool.
Good, central location.
Clean rooms and bathrooms.
Nice bar and snacks available in the lobby area.
Restaurant on site.

CONS
When we checked in and asked for a room overlooking the pool and circle, we were told that there were none AT ALL available. I had a bit of a hard time believing this, since half of the rooms in this place face that direction. I wasn't told that one could be available for us shortly if we wanted to wait.....I was just told no. I just didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about this.

The keys to our room worked 1 time out of 10 tries. It was very frustrating. You had to use it just right in order to get into the room.

Walls were paper-thin. I'm used to hotels and the noise, but this was one of the worst for noise.

The breakfast food in the restaurant was good, but EXPENSIVE.

Rooms and bathrooms were tiny. Really tiny.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate seeing your pros and cons about our hotel on TripAdvisor. It is encouraging to know that overall, you were pleased with your accommodations and services provided. However, I do apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay, and also for not being able to offer you a room overlooking Thomas Circle. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to our property if you are willing to reconsider.

Olean, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Washington Plaza for three nights over the 4th of July long weekend. (2 adults and a 13 year old). The location of the hotel is convenient to the Whitehouse, Smithsonions, & National Mall and to an array of restaurants in the Logan Circle area. We used taxis alot to get around (reasonable) and there was always one or two waiting outside the hotel. After a day of sight seeing, we were happy to get back to the hotel and enjoy a swim and a drink at the outdoor pool. Our only one complaint was the size of the dacquiris on one day. We were enjoying very large glasses of dacquiris on Wed the 3rd and Friday the 5th, but on Thursday the 4th, the pool bartenders were serving them in tiny martini glasses for the same PRICE! When I asked why they were not the same size as the day before the bartender said that was the size glasses they were instucted to use. Needless to say we only ordered one that day by the pool. The fireworks were great on the Mall and we walked back to the hotel afterward (7 or so blocks) as public transport was impossible. The area is safe and the room view overlooking Thomas Circle, the pool, and historic churches were a great addition to our vacation. I would recommend this for families or couples looking for a nice hotel in the summertime in downtown DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool and the Circle. 4th floor and lower have balconies. Rooms are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I’m delighted to hear that you chose to spend your Fourth of July holiday with us and were happy with your accommodations, the service, and convenience of our hotel for your activities. I’m glad you had a chance to enjoy swimming and refreshments by our pool. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding the size of your drink and I wanted to let you know that this has been remedied. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel was in a wonderful location to all the attractions and night life of DC... We walked and biked everywhere! The hotel had amazing guest services and the pool and pool bar was huge and beautiful! By far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Washington Plaza and for the 5-star review. I'm so pleased to see that our accommodations, service and central location fit your needs perfectly. It is truly rewarding when our guests recognize our efforts and takes the time to provide feedback. Please come back and see us again soon!

Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a king suite on the 8th floor over the 4th of July holiday. Start to finish this was a fabulous place to stay. We walked miles every day so being this close to all the major landmarks was wonderful. Coming back hot and tired and having a swim and a gorgeous drink by the pool really perked us up! The restaurants in the area were amazing, we loved Chix, Tortilla Jacks and Thai Tanic. There was a Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks and Cariboo close by as well as several coffee shops so take your pick. CVS across the circle so you can get water and snacks and keep them cold for the following days touring.
We will certainly be back, Washington Plaza was just right! Book early in summer, this place is worth it!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise, loved being on the poolside to have a nice view of Thomas Circ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at the Washington Plaza. I am delighted to hear that we were able to make such a favorable impression on you. We agree - our location is conveniently located to so many DC sites, as well as great shopping and dining options. We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next stay in Washington, DC.

Tom Casey

Been to Washington Plaza? Share your experiences!