“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The hotel is located in a fantastic area of Dupont Circle and is close to many fantastic restaurants and the metro stop. The staff were extremely professional and courteous, and assisted me in all that I needed. The room was a bit tiny, but the decor was exquisite. Very modern decor and very comfortable bed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Hebrew first
Carmel, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I like Kimptons, but this one is a little subpar. My room was tiny even by Georgetown hotel standards, and only one elevator was working. The restaurant is closed for renovation. The concierge could not tell me how to get to the Nationals ballpark by Metro. On the positive side, it is very close to DuPont Circle, affordable, and the free wine hour was sweet.

Stayed August 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is certainly a hip hotel, with trendy lounge music playing as you enter and trendy, younger professionals hanging out in the lobby during the wine happy hour, which is a really nice extra if you can get out of work or whatever you're doing by 5pm... Good luck with that, but what do you expect, it's free and I imagine not a cheap extra for the hotel. The room is fine, excellent super comfy bed that you won't want to get out of. The hotel has an outdoor pool, which is a rare for DC and a real bonus if you're there in the summer. Yeah it's small, but again, good luck finding another hotel in DC with an outdoor pool. Small gym that is sufficient.

Obviously, one of the best features of this hotel is its location. DuPont Circle is super fun: lots of great restaurants and nightlife right outside the hotel. Great spot in DC!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was my first stay in a Kimpton but I would definitely stay at the chain again...probably the best chain hotel I've been to.

Room-wise, things were very nice. The room was average-sized, but the bathroom was big - the floor space in the bathroom was at least 60% of the room. The sink faucet was pretty, but splashed water all over the place...minor quibble.

I've been to DC almost 10 times on business, and Palomar's off-Mall location was brilliant. If you've never been to DC, the sights are quite close by and you may prefer something near the monuments, but if you've had your fill of said monuments, this hotel's area let's you see DC as a neighborhood. Literally 20 interesting restaurants within 3 blocks of the front door; and 100 more beyond. Just a great, GREAT area - and safe. And free dog bowls/treats for pets (no charge for pets staying BTW), and free wine for the humans at 5 pm...apres ski without the ski!

The front staff were energetic and helpful. The property and rooms were nicely appointed without being overdone. They even have a free bike you can take to tool around the neighborhood.

On the downside, and this is nitpicking, there was a THICK film of dust on the glass shelf where the TV is....I would have expected better in that department as even Best Western does better. a small thing but disappointing since you want to like this place. Also, and this is NOT NITPICKING, the door to my room was left ajar after being turned over. I noticed that my lock stuck a bit and if left to close on its own weight, the door would rest open. Checking the lock is a simple thing and I hope their CQI process catches this. I came back from my meeting and simply pushed my door open, but fortunately, my room was off the beaten path...still though.

Also on the down side, the Business Center print policies were pretty heinous. The cost per page is bogus, and my first prints came out wrong because of the proprietary software...at least my employer pays for it in the end.

I urge anybody reading to stay at a Kimptom. It really was a cut above the normal hotel, and even boutique hotel, experience. This was a great place and a great experience.

Room Tip: You won't necessarily get gorgeous views but that's OK. Some rooms face the pool, others th...
Green Features: Very odd that there was no obvious "no towel change" process...where you can opt out of laundry. It is possible I missed it but I don't think so.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for business from July 29-August 2, 2014. I really wanted to love this hotel. The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff are really accommodating.

Location: The hotel is in a great location because Dupont Circle has several restaurants and shops open pretty late. The hotel is about two short blocks to the redline metro which can take you anywhere in the District. It's also very safe to walk around in this neighborhood. The hotel is close to several banks and a CVS for those items that you forgot or over the counter drugs you might need. Depending on traffic, it's about a 20-30 minute cab right from National Airport. It's an easy walk to Georgetown.

Hotel: The room is very spacious with modern and practical furniture. For example, the bed is super plush but not too low and uncomfortable like some modern furniture. Depending on where your room is positioned, the natural lighting can make a difference. I was facing the pool, and my room was relatively dark. The front desk staff was very helpful. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. They served free wine and cocktails I believe from 5-6 (check with the front desk). There were plenty of cabs in front of the hotel in case you don't do metros (which is a mistake in my opinion because DC traffic is no joke). The gym has everything you need and more. Even though we had great weather, I didn't use the pool but it looked really nice and several people took advantage of it.

I have two complaints about this hotel during my stay: 1) poor housekeeping and 2) noise level from other hotel guests. Housekeeping was extremely disappointing. When I arrived, several pieces of hair (from someone else) were on the bathroom floor and tub. It's like they didn't bother sweeping and moping the floor. One of the trash cans was not taken out one day. 2) The hotel guests across from my room were having a party on Friday night. Several visitors (at least 15-20) were coming in and out of the room all night. They were also making all kinds of noises so loud that I can hear them from way across the hall. I called the front desk at 1am and again at 3am. I had a total of 2 hours of sleep. The front desk was responsive every time I called, and I heard security tell them to cut it out. I only wish that security checked the floor frequently to ensure that this didn't happen throughout the night. This was the only night I did not have a restful stay.

Food: The hotel has a restaurant inside it is called Urbana. It's under construction right now, but it was one of my go to places when I lived in DC. I highly recommend their pizzas and cocktails especially for happy hour. I did not try the hotel's room service. For breakfast, I walked across the street to Bagel etc. They have fresh bagels and any type of breakfast for very cheap (cash only). There's a Starbucks on the same block as the hotel.

I have mixed feeling about the Palomar Washington DC. I'm hoping that my not so great of a stay this past week was just a one time occurrence where the housekeeping was having an off week and the hotel guests are not this obnoxious. Again, the staff and location are really great so I would try this hotel again.

Somerset, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Lovely hotel in excellent location close to DuPont Circle. Rooms are large, clean and beautifully appointed. Everything about this hotel is quality, I really didn't want to leave and go home, our room was so large and comfortable. Loved the fun leopard print bath robes. Unfortunately, the restaurant really lets it down. The tables were battered and chipped, the upholstery on the chairs and bench seats was worn and in need of re-upholstering. However worse than this, they were dirty. The chair frames and table pedestals were thick with dust and debris. We mentioned this on 2 separate occasions to the breakfast hostess and on a third occasion to the restaurant manager. Nothing had been done by the time we left so with such a slovenly attitude to cleanliness in a public area, it made us wonder about the quality of hygiene in the kitchen.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed in adjoining rooms on the 10th floor for two nights. Rooms are very large and well appointed. The pool is small, but the kids had a great time. If you do decide to use the pool, note that you will only get sun in the middle of the day. At this time, the hotel's restaurant and bar are closed, but they do have a "pop-up bar" available in the evening. A special thanks to Kelly at the front desk....she is awesome!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family