“Okay, but a bit run-down and ELEVATORS NOT WORKING” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Valet Parking
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Helena, California
“Okay, but a bit run-down and ELEVATORS NOT WORKING”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel due to the location, the amenities, and the overwhelming positive reviews. Well, I have to say that I can see the allure, BUT this hotel seemed EXTREMELY packed, and as such it was completely unacceptable that they had elevators not running due to repairs (and the ones that ARE working are very small.) If I had known this, I wouldn't have booked a room there.

The non-functional elevators resulted in 15-minute waits for a single elevator trip, and situations with people forcing their way onto the elevators, overcrowding them and smashing each other into the walls... a fistfight almost broke out at one point.

Unacceptable, and I would advise staying against there until situation is resolved.

Also, the hotel seems in need of some maintenance/updating -- wallpaper warped and peeling from walls and other run-down appearances. Bed was comfy and room was clean, though.

Room Tip: The budget rooms are fairly small. The beds are reasonable (good size and comfy), but the rooms are...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Abe L, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hi mediaguru,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. The elevators are currently being modernized, which is also apart of a much larger renovation. I apologize it impacted your stay, but unfortunately the work is unavoidable. Once complete, we will move on to renovating the Hotel Guest Rooms and Corridors. Hopefully you can return to us after these updates are complete? I would love to personally arrange that future stay for you.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My flight got in really late and I hate to get up really early so I didn't really make the best of this. But it seemed like a great hotel and as good as any of the other Kimpton's I have stayed in over the years. I got a great deal through Hotel Tonight (about $150). The room was very comfy, stylish etc. The location good. parking sucks. That's about it really. Hopefully I will be back to savor it more fully one day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hi Mactoki,

Thank you for your review. Glad you found a great deal on Hotel Tonight. We load only a few rooms at a time, last second, so it's great you got a room. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy our services, would have loved to see you at our Evening Hosted Wine Reception or Dining in Urbana. Next time?

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We agree with the below review from jakklein...after a 4 night stay we were a bit disappointed from our previous visit. 2 small elevators just don't handle the number of guests in a 10 floor hotel, and the waits were very disheartening. The manager posted a "mea culpa" in each room but it was not expected and made coming up and down for morning coffee (nice touch) or evening wine almost painful.
The Dupont Circle location is hands down the selling point for this Kimpton...there are great restaurants all around, it is 2 blocks from the metro, and the neighborhood feels so safe and busy without the downtown frenetics of some of their other locations. One more comment from our previous visit, some of the furnishings are starting to show their "age"...While we too are showing our age I expect Kimpton hotels to keep their rooms up to their 4 star standards. Sure hard to beat the large room size of the Executive kings...made our other destinations seem tiny.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are about 500 sq. ft.
Green Features: Good signage to encourage "green" practices (re-using towels etc)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hi 145JulieH,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our elevators. They are the first phase of a multi-million dollar renovation that is occurring through the end of 2014. The renovation beyond the elevators will also address all the wear and tear issues you mentioned in the guestroom. Hopefully you will rejoin us after the renovations are complete and I would love to personally arrange this stay for you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Nice hotel, unfortunately there was only two active lifts during are stay and they're were extremely slow which was a little annoying. Also, during the night every time someone shut a door on our floor our room door shook so we didn't sleep well. The room was a good size but doesn't really provide any views. A bit out of the hub of the city but very close to a metro station & I would recommend using this. The breakfast was basic but sufficient. The hotel restaurant, Urbana was a little disappointing. The reception staff booked it for our first night of our honeymoon & they told the restaurant this but they still sat us on probably the worst table in there & the food was ok but not amazing, preferred Scion across the road. Would look at other hotels if visiting Washington again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi CEL1232014,

Thanks so much for the review. I'm sorry about the mixed bag of experience at my Hotel. We're currently in the process of a major renovation, the first steps in this process include modernizing the elevators. as for the view, all of the buildings in DC are subjected to a height ordinance, so views are tough to come by in general. I'm also sorry to hear about your Restaurant experience. We will be sure to review this with our Management Team in that area.

Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Just finished a five night stay at The Palomar. A Kimpton property that I used to love. It is going through a rough time right now. Our stay simply wasn't good, and we were not alone.

1. The hotel has 10 floors and a large number of nice rooms. However, it has 3 elevators, and they are upgrading the inside of one elevator at a time right now. So, with only two SMALL elevators, the waits to go up or down (we were on the 10th) floor were unacceptable. Sometimes we had to wait 10-15 minutes for an elevator.

Worse, I asked the maintenance engineer and they are not upgrading the speed of the elevators anyway, which are already remarkably slow. This is a serious problem.

2. They have a very finicky door key. Our keys would routinely stop working after each use - forcing us to trudge back down 10 flights (or wait 10 minutes for an elevator) to get a new key.

At first they told me it was just us - unlucky. Then I realized it couldn't be us - we had two rooms and all of us had the same problem. Apparently just having your key in your pocket, with a cellphone in ANOTHER pocket, leads to demagnetized keys. Furthermore (can you believe this?) they told me that they keys demagnetized when you visit a museum in DC (metal detectors). So, get ready to keep asking for new keys.

3. This is a VERY pet friendly hotel. I don't have a pet but find that Ok, unless, as was the case here, you have barking dogs all the time, as we did. I have no idea how they are supposed to deal with this, but I think they really want only dog owners.

The hotel is well located, just 2 ½ blocks from the Metro. It has a decent restaurant. But I would not stay again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi jakklein,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate you compartmentalizing your experience. Sometimes if one issue occurs, there is a tendency to impact the entire stay negatively. Yes, we are in the midst of an elevator modernization. They will not be faster, but there are many things with the operation that will improve to make them more intuitive, therefore more efficient. I'm sorry to hear about the key issue, but glad to see it was addressed. Like all Kimpton Hotels, we are pet friendly. In the future, we can always setup a request to block your room on a pet free floor. I appreciate your loyalty and hope you will continue to choose us for your stays in DC. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next stay at, Abe.liao@hotelpalomar.com.

atlanta georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The location and service was excellent. The room was above average in size and clean. The gym was above average for this size hotel. The lobby restaurant was very good for breakfast. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi qdkelly,

Thank you so much for your review. Sounds like a great mix of value and services. Our guestroom size and gym, are larger than the average accommodations in DC. Appreciate you sharing that. A tid bit of info, our Restaurant is undergoing a renovation in July. Be sure to check us out after.

Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed for a family city break. Location close to Dupont Circle and Metro was really helpful. Also not too far from a stop on the yellow route on the "Big Bus Tour" (recommended). We had an executive room with two Queen size beds - room very spacious and coped well with four of us. Free wifi (thanks to being a Kimpton In Touch member) was very helpful.
All staff were really friendly and helpful - particularly the concierge team.

Room Tip: Some early morning noise from garbage removal for rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi PaulRTaylor,

Thank you for your review.

Sounds like a great stay. We do have VERY spacious guestrooms, especially our Executive Category rooms. I appreciate the note about my staff as well. They are genuinely friendly people.

Hotel Manager

Been to Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!