“Wow” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #14 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Gainesville, Florida
“Wow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Great great great. I agree with just about all the positive comments below. My only negatives are this- don't book up all the bar space at one one time. We enjoy going out and having a drink at the hotel bar before going out or after coming back. Booking it for private parties really sticks it to your guests. Secondly, when you work at the front desk don't air your company business that loud. Walking by and could hear the guy saying that they were overbooked and would have to upgrade a lot of people. He said you just have to know how to pick the right people. I guess I can't complain as I got upgraded the day before, but still...all in all...excellent facility.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear palamedes79,
Wow indeed; thank you so much for making these great points. I have shared your review with the restaurant and front office team. I can tell you that your feedback really brought it home. Thanks again and I hope to have the pleasure meeting you in person soon. Best wishes, Stephane

2,605 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
d.c.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is dog friendly. I get that. I love dogs. I have two dogs myself, however i board them when I travel because I know that if I left them in a strange hotel room, they would freak out and bark constantly and disturb everyone. So, take into consideration when you book a room at a "pet friendly" hotel, one that you are spending a fair amount of dough to "get away" for a weekend, that your fellow humans may not be so aware of their little darlings annoying habits. In fact, they are oblivious or perhaps just lacking in judgement? The hotel itself is nice, modern and clean. The staff is very sweet. If you are looking for a quiet dinner, don't go to the hotel resataurant. Great food, but LOUD especially on the weekends. And ask if there are dog floors and non-dog floors because I think I ended up on the dog floor and man-o-man, I'm glad my dogs aren't that obnoxious. But you know what they say, bad dog-bad owner.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-dog floor and a higher floor. Also, they don't provide coffee makers. If you ask t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Palomar was the greatest hotel that we have ever stayed in. The kids really enjoyed the pool. It was great to have a lifeguard on duty. They also liked the complimentary milk and cookies. We enjoyed wine hour, with the occasional snack. The rooms were fabulous and the staff was great. I have been to many large cities and the parking attendants at this hotel are the best that I have seen. My wife even forgot her hairbrush in the car. We called the front desk and 15 minutes later there was a knock at our door. Absolutely no complaints about anything at this hotel whatsoever. We came to D.C. the week after Congress adjourned so the rates were remarkably low, even compared to one week earlier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fantastic! What a statement; thank you so much b_jammin_10. I will be sure to share your review with the team. We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Join the loyalty program before your stay and you get some free things (as well as a choice of pillow!) The hotel knew who we were when my family arrived as we had ordered a package there.
The decor is probably not to everyone's taste but I liked it.
Free water in the lobby as well as a selection of newspapers, this was greatly appreciated. There is also a free wine reception in the evenings. Breakfast was fantastic.
The location is absolutely brilliant, within walking distance to a bunch of great restaurants, shops, Georgetown, Dupont Circle metro station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Georgie W,
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel to spend your family vacation in DC. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the little extra touches we provide. We love doing it especially when we hear how much our guests enjoy it. Thanks again. Best wishes, Stephane
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a Kimpton Hotel and you can tell at the booking because you always get way more bang for your buck at a Kimpton! Join their free loyalty program and you get loaded with complimentary freebies -- free wifi, free drinks at the bar, free $10.00 to spend in your room at the mini fridge. It's just wonderful.

I stayed here for a conference rather than the conference hotel (The Fairmont) because the service was just leaps and bounds better. My room was very spacious comfortable and clean. There is a starbucks right next door and taxi's conveniently stop right outside the hotel to wisk you away.

It is very close to Georgetown and convenient to subway and restaurants. Overall the decor and esthetic is great being hip and trendy boutique hotel. Also the hotel restaurant is also really good and not too expensive.

This is NOT a hotel to stay in if you are interested in a short walk to the monuments or other famous tourist attractions, for that I would suggest the Nine Zero Kimpton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Prada3721,
Thank you so much for your great feedback. So happy to read you found our hotel to be of great value. Please come and see us again soon. Best wishes, Stephane
Barre, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights on a business trip. Very convenient location being close to Metro, Starbucks right next door, and tons of restaurants within walking distance. Room was very spacious and certainly adequate for my purpose. Didn't like the dark, crowded reception area, and contemporary color designs and art scheme wasn't exactly warm and calming.
I had dropped a piece of a button that broke on the floor in the morning, and that evening when I came back it was still there, which means they didn't vacuum the floor when they serviced it. Not that it was a big deal, but worth noting.
They have free reception every night (free drinks) and free coffee in the morning. Also note that this hotel is pet-friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I just stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Palomar in February. We loved the location of the hotel - convenient to transport, restaurants etc. We also loved the decor and whole esthetic of the place. Our room was a bit small but was also a bargain at a special rate of $146/night. We felt we got more than we paid for.

However, the first time we turned on the TV it would not go on. We tried everything but there seemed to be no power. We called the front desk and they send an 'engineer' up who jiggled some wires on the back and made it work. The next night, the same thing happened - another engineer was sent, who detached the cord from the back of the TV and replaced it, once again 'fixing it.' The third night, when it happened again, we were able to do this ourselves! It is obviously an ongoing problem that no one has taken the time to address, which seemed out of sync with the rest of the service at this hotel. I am sure we were not the first guests to encounter this issue!

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay and would probably return if we got a similarly good rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear musicgalNewYork,
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The TV issue you encountered is being addressed; thanks to your review. We hope to see you again very soon. Best wishes, Stephane

Been to Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!