“Best Hotel I have ever stayed in!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #14 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Best Hotel I have ever stayed in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Palomar was the greatest hotel that we have ever stayed in. The kids really enjoyed the pool. It was great to have a lifeguard on duty. They also liked the complimentary milk and cookies. We enjoyed wine hour, with the occasional snack. The rooms were fabulous and the staff was great. I have been to many large cities and the parking attendants at this hotel are the best that I have seen. My wife even forgot her hairbrush in the car. We called the front desk and 15 minutes later there was a knock at our door. Absolutely no complaints about anything at this hotel whatsoever. We came to D.C. the week after Congress adjourned so the rates were remarkably low, even compared to one week earlier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Fantastic! What a statement; thank you so much b_jammin_10. I will be sure to share your review with the team. We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Hebrew first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Join the loyalty program before your stay and you get some free things (as well as a choice of pillow!) The hotel knew who we were when my family arrived as we had ordered a package there.
The decor is probably not to everyone's taste but I liked it.
Free water in the lobby as well as a selection of newspapers, this was greatly appreciated. There is also a free wine reception in the evenings. Breakfast was fantastic.
The location is absolutely brilliant, within walking distance to a bunch of great restaurants, shops, Georgetown, Dupont Circle metro station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Georgie W,
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel to spend your family vacation in DC. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the little extra touches we provide. We love doing it especially when we hear how much our guests enjoy it. Thanks again. Best wishes, Stephane
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a Kimpton Hotel and you can tell at the booking because you always get way more bang for your buck at a Kimpton! Join their free loyalty program and you get loaded with complimentary freebies -- free wifi, free drinks at the bar, free $10.00 to spend in your room at the mini fridge. It's just wonderful.

I stayed here for a conference rather than the conference hotel (The Fairmont) because the service was just leaps and bounds better. My room was very spacious comfortable and clean. There is a starbucks right next door and taxi's conveniently stop right outside the hotel to wisk you away.

It is very close to Georgetown and convenient to subway and restaurants. Overall the decor and esthetic is great being hip and trendy boutique hotel. Also the hotel restaurant is also really good and not too expensive.

This is NOT a hotel to stay in if you are interested in a short walk to the monuments or other famous tourist attractions, for that I would suggest the Nine Zero Kimpton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Prada3721,
Thank you so much for your great feedback. So happy to read you found our hotel to be of great value. Please come and see us again soon. Best wishes, Stephane
Barre, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights on a business trip. Very convenient location being close to Metro, Starbucks right next door, and tons of restaurants within walking distance. Room was very spacious and certainly adequate for my purpose. Didn't like the dark, crowded reception area, and contemporary color designs and art scheme wasn't exactly warm and calming.
I had dropped a piece of a button that broke on the floor in the morning, and that evening when I came back it was still there, which means they didn't vacuum the floor when they serviced it. Not that it was a big deal, but worth noting.
They have free reception every night (free drinks) and free coffee in the morning. Also note that this hotel is pet-friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I just stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Palomar in February. We loved the location of the hotel - convenient to transport, restaurants etc. We also loved the decor and whole esthetic of the place. Our room was a bit small but was also a bargain at a special rate of $146/night. We felt we got more than we paid for.

However, the first time we turned on the TV it would not go on. We tried everything but there seemed to be no power. We called the front desk and they send an 'engineer' up who jiggled some wires on the back and made it work. The next night, the same thing happened - another engineer was sent, who detached the cord from the back of the TV and replaced it, once again 'fixing it.' The third night, when it happened again, we were able to do this ourselves! It is obviously an ongoing problem that no one has taken the time to address, which seemed out of sync with the rest of the service at this hotel. I am sure we were not the first guests to encounter this issue!

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay and would probably return if we got a similarly good rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear musicgalNewYork,
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The TV issue you encountered is being addressed; thanks to your review. We hope to see you again very soon. Best wishes, Stephane
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Summary: My experience was rather poor and I would not go back. For the same price one can get better. To be sure some things were lovely and its not a bad hotel. But being a hip, boutique hotel doesn’t mean the basics can be ignored. Given that its not cheap one can get a better experience for the price elsewhere.

I will give a balanced review, and include the positive points as well.
The advantages:
- good location, close to the metro
- spacious rooms, quite comfortable
- good internet (wi-fi)
- some cool extras such as an i-pod dock
- nice toiletries and very lovely, soft towels

The weak points:
- poor service : I asked for a quiet room and was assigned one overlooking the car park. In the day when I wanted to work in a quiet atmosphere, the constant loud noise form large service truck engines that were charging/loading/unloading made it impossible to concentrate. There was some in the evenings aswell so could not really relax in the room.

- poor service continued: I had signed up to the kimtpon intouch loyalty programme that offers all kinds of personalized touches and extras before I arrived. Unfortunately for me it all turned out to be in vain. At check in (and during my stay) the staff neither asked if I was a member nor told me about the service. I also did not get the ‘special touches’ that I had recorded in my personal profile. No extras either. Disappointed at all that enticement and then getting zilch!

- no coffee/tea maker in room (you can request one). The hotel also serves coffee/tea in the morning in the lobby for guests. For a truly international hotel, guests arrive from various locations at all hours, and if you arrive when the lobby coffee service is over, you may just want a quiet cuppa in the room. At 3am (or what ever time it is after a long fight) you may not think to request the coffee maker.

- not a place for short people: the safe is in the closet and is a standard one for you to put valuables. Unfortunately its placed at a height where I could reach it and shove my stuff inside and grab it (from the edge) but cant really see inside it or reach it comfortably. I almost left a small jewellery case in the safe since it had got pushed inside a bit and I could not see it. My nephew who is taller than i saw it and gave it to me.

- there was a pair of snazzy room socks in the closet along with the bathrobe. The socks carried a message ‘ a charge of $15 will be added to your room if the socks are broken apart’ (the socks had a couple stiches into hold them together. Essentially using them meant paying $15. If one is paying that much surely one can expect a complimentary pair of carpet slippers/socks?

- there was no stationary in the room: I had to go to reception to ask for envelopes. There was a dinky writing pad with about 4 sheets left on it. Again this is not a big deal, but I fail to see why one is charged for luxury and does not get it.

Breakfast was not included in the deal booked by the conference folk, so I dont know if that is standard for this hotel or not. I would hope though that for the room rent posted in the room,it is included!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear arti605,
Thank you so much for your feedback. It definitely looks like we forgot our "A" game during your recent stay. I will share your review with the team and we will work extra hard to overcome the deficiencies you highlighted. If a future trip brings you back to DC please contact me directly (stephane.vogel@hotelpalomar.com); I would love the opportunity to really show you the true Palomar service. Best wishes, Stephane
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Palomar. The staff and manager are friendly and very accommodating. Every night they have a little happy hour. They serve wine, flat bread crackers, and a variety of olives. The room is large and well appointed. The hotel is located in a great area (Dupont Circle) where there are many good restaurants. It is a bit of a walk to the Mall area where the Smithsonian is located. We walked a couple of times and took the Metro a couple of times. If you want to walk to the White House, it will take you about 30-40 minutes depending on how fast you walk. If you want to go to Georgetown, there is a bus stop at Dupont. We have already decided that when we go to Washington again, we will stay at the Palomar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!