“A bargain, with a few quibbles” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #14 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, NY
“A bargain, with a few quibbles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I just stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Palomar in February. We loved the location of the hotel - convenient to transport, restaurants etc. We also loved the decor and whole esthetic of the place. Our room was a bit small but was also a bargain at a special rate of $146/night. We felt we got more than we paid for.

However, the first time we turned on the TV it would not go on. We tried everything but there seemed to be no power. We called the front desk and they send an 'engineer' up who jiggled some wires on the back and made it work. The next night, the same thing happened - another engineer was sent, who detached the cord from the back of the TV and replaced it, once again 'fixing it.' The third night, when it happened again, we were able to do this ourselves! It is obviously an ongoing problem that no one has taken the time to address, which seemed out of sync with the rest of the service at this hotel. I am sure we were not the first guests to encounter this issue!

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay and would probably return if we got a similarly good rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear musicgalNewYork,
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The TV issue you encountered is being addressed; thanks to your review. We hope to see you again very soon. Best wishes, Stephane

2,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Summary: My experience was rather poor and I would not go back. For the same price one can get better. To be sure some things were lovely and its not a bad hotel. But being a hip, boutique hotel doesn’t mean the basics can be ignored. Given that its not cheap one can get a better experience for the price elsewhere.

I will give a balanced review, and include the positive points as well.
The advantages:
- good location, close to the metro
- spacious rooms, quite comfortable
- good internet (wi-fi)
- some cool extras such as an i-pod dock
- nice toiletries and very lovely, soft towels

The weak points:
- poor service : I asked for a quiet room and was assigned one overlooking the car park. In the day when I wanted to work in a quiet atmosphere, the constant loud noise form large service truck engines that were charging/loading/unloading made it impossible to concentrate. There was some in the evenings aswell so could not really relax in the room.

- poor service continued: I had signed up to the kimtpon intouch loyalty programme that offers all kinds of personalized touches and extras before I arrived. Unfortunately for me it all turned out to be in vain. At check in (and during my stay) the staff neither asked if I was a member nor told me about the service. I also did not get the ‘special touches’ that I had recorded in my personal profile. No extras either. Disappointed at all that enticement and then getting zilch!

- no coffee/tea maker in room (you can request one). The hotel also serves coffee/tea in the morning in the lobby for guests. For a truly international hotel, guests arrive from various locations at all hours, and if you arrive when the lobby coffee service is over, you may just want a quiet cuppa in the room. At 3am (or what ever time it is after a long fight) you may not think to request the coffee maker.

- not a place for short people: the safe is in the closet and is a standard one for you to put valuables. Unfortunately its placed at a height where I could reach it and shove my stuff inside and grab it (from the edge) but cant really see inside it or reach it comfortably. I almost left a small jewellery case in the safe since it had got pushed inside a bit and I could not see it. My nephew who is taller than i saw it and gave it to me.

- there was a pair of snazzy room socks in the closet along with the bathrobe. The socks carried a message ‘ a charge of $15 will be added to your room if the socks are broken apart’ (the socks had a couple stiches into hold them together. Essentially using them meant paying $15. If one is paying that much surely one can expect a complimentary pair of carpet slippers/socks?

- there was no stationary in the room: I had to go to reception to ask for envelopes. There was a dinky writing pad with about 4 sheets left on it. Again this is not a big deal, but I fail to see why one is charged for luxury and does not get it.

Breakfast was not included in the deal booked by the conference folk, so I dont know if that is standard for this hotel or not. I would hope though that for the room rent posted in the room,it is included!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear arti605,
Thank you so much for your feedback. It definitely looks like we forgot our "A" game during your recent stay. I will share your review with the team and we will work extra hard to overcome the deficiencies you highlighted. If a future trip brings you back to DC please contact me directly (stephane.vogel@hotelpalomar.com); I would love the opportunity to really show you the true Palomar service. Best wishes, Stephane
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Palomar. The staff and manager are friendly and very accommodating. Every night they have a little happy hour. They serve wine, flat bread crackers, and a variety of olives. The room is large and well appointed. The hotel is located in a great area (Dupont Circle) where there are many good restaurants. It is a bit of a walk to the Mall area where the Smithsonian is located. We walked a couple of times and took the Metro a couple of times. If you want to walk to the White House, it will take you about 30-40 minutes depending on how fast you walk. If you want to go to Georgetown, there is a bus stop at Dupont. We have already decided that when we go to Washington again, we will stay at the Palomar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've always had great stays with Kimpton Hotels. The Palomar was on par with the hotels in Seattle, Portland and Philly that I've stayed at. Great location. Tons of good places to eat around. It was an easy walk for me and my husband to all the monuments and museums (we're probably willing to walk a little further than most people).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in DC and a our travel agent recommended the hotel to us. The room was spacious and comfortable, the staff were friendly and the extra touches were well received. Overall we had a great experience and would recommend this hotel. I have not given five stars as the room was noisy. We were next to the elevator and I could hear it throughout the night. Also on our last night there was a party in the room next to us and it took security over two hours to stop the noise. I know this was down to fellow guests and not the hotel, but I just wish they would have stepped in a bit earlier than they did. Other than that it really was good fun and the staff are a credit to the establishment.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've visited DC many times and stayed in various hotels. The Palomar is by far my favorite. The room was large and beautiful and we also enjoyed a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. T free happy hour every evening between 5-6 is also plus. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the location, just a few blocks from the DuPont Circle metro,is very convenient. This is my new favorite place to stay in DC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was my first time STAYING in DC but it was definitely not the last. I went with a friend who was celebrating her birthday and the Palomar truly out-did themselves. Gave us a beautiful room with a high floor, as well a bottle of champagne with chocolate strawberries waiting for us in the room upon checkin!

The staff was amazing, shout outs to Gordon for checkin, Joy for her amazing smile and attitude on the overnight and Phil the concierge for dealing with my slightly annoying requests. ;)

Urbana was awesome too, can't beat happy hour prices! All around an amazing stay and for sure will be coming back, so expect us! :)

Room Tip: the 01 line is amazing