“Swanky, but not intimidating.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #16 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Barrington, Rhode Island
“Swanky, but not intimidating.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here October 2012, partly to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary and partly to attend an event at the Kennedy center. When we arrived at the hotel, the doorman was super friendly and immediately took our bags to the front desk. Once there, Clayton checked us in and even wished us a happy anniversary (when I made the reservation, I noted it was our anniversary). We were upgraded to a Spa room, which is a very large suite with an awesome soaking tub. The best surprised happened later that day - upon entering our room, we found a bottle of sparkling wine in a cooler and a selection of chocolates! That was definitely above and beyond, and much appreciated.

The lobby is full of interesting art and cozy places to sit. The rooms are very nice, sparkling clean and modern. Cool touches such as the lighted nightstand bases, chaise in the bedroom and thick animal-print robes make this place unique and fun. The wine reception in the lobby every evening is a nice touch - and the wine is actually pretty good! If you don't drink, they also offer non-alcoholic options. The hotel is pet-friendly, and the guests do bring their dogs. I love dogs - have 2 myself - so it was really fun to see them all hanging out with their owners. However, if you are not a dog lover, you may not enjoy this option. The hotel also is pretty kid-friendly, from what I could observe. We didn't have our kids (7 and 3) with us, but I wouldn't feel out of place had we brought them as I have in other "boutique" hotels. It's within walking distance of many DC attractions as well as 2 Metro stations. Lots of restaurant options, too, including a nice one right in the hotel itself.

Over all, this was one of the most enjoyable stays we have had in any hotel, and we travel a lot. That we didn't bring the kids probably helped too! A special shout-out to Clayton and Liz-Ann at the front desk - they provided excellent service, helped us with transportation and reservations and even gave us some tips for getting around the city more efficiently. Love it! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - can hurt to ask!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear the_golden4,
What a great review! Thank you so much. So happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share your review with everyone and especially Clayton and Lizann. We hope to welcome you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

we had stayed in many other nabes in dc but wanted to be in dupont circle i called kimmpton and this is wht we got big room coffee in lobby in the a.m. with free newspapers cozy wine our with warm fireroom 1021 quite large quiet

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear nycmom22,
Thank you so much for a great review. So glad to read that you enjoyed your first stay with us. We cannot wait to welcome you back soon. Best wishes, Stephane
Rancho Mirage, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Was a nice stay for 3 nights. The lobby has a very trendy feel. Free happy hour from 5-6pm. TIP: go down to the lobby about 15 min. early to get a comfortable seat and stay camped there. Very busy happy hour with limited seating. Location is an easy 2 block walk from the Metro. Received an email the week prior from the hotel offering a room upgrade for $15/ night based upon availability, which did clear at check-in. Was a nice size room with a wild animal motif (leopard and zebra) which was fun for a city hotel. Would stay again. Free coffee in the lobby but there is a Starbucks next door.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wynnewood, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I'm a bit torn between a 3 and a 4 on this stay. Nothing was particularly bad, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and bump it to 4.

Usually we stay at the Willard in DC, but recently becoming IC with InTouch I thought we'd give Kimpton a try in DC. After this stay I was missing the Willard.

When we arrived, the valet was quick to show up, offer to help with our bags and give us the valet tag. Check in was also pretty smooth. I wasn't told about the upgrade we ended up getting or given any mention of my IC status. These are pretty minor things, but just kind of set me up for the stay. I had originally booked a Deluxe Suite and we had been moved up to a Spa Suite.

The room was roomy and reminded me very much of the similar suite at the Palomar Los Angeles. Perhaps they were designed around the same time. Walking to the room, it was very dark. Not an issue, more just a note. The room itself was well appointed with plenty of seats and lots of room. But, everything was seriously beat up. How old is this hotel and how long ago was the last renovation? From looking at this room, the place is in serious need of at least a quick touch up. One of the sliding doors wouldn't close, and the ones that did slide were very hard to move. A quick application of lubricant could easily solve this problem. The door that could slide to cover up the window into the bathroom was actually missing a part of the wood covering the railing. It was sitting on top of the railing. Did no one notice this while cleaning the room? It didn't bother me much, but just really shows a lack of effort. The paint around the doors was bubbling and peeling at spots. The drapes to cover the bedroom window were not long enough to cover the whole window. So, what was done? There was a piece of double sided tape to hold it on the wall. It just seems very lazy not to fix these things. In one afternoon this entire room could be fixed up almost like new again.

In the room we had our normal IC amenities. They were actually pretty good and exactly what we'd like. Only odd part was the note. It had my name on it and a place for the author to sign it, but no one signed it. Again, just seems a bit absentminded. The odd part though, was the housekeeper took our remaining pretzels away on the second day. They were still good and more than half were left!

Housekeeping was decent, but the small laziness or forgetfulness continued. Only some of the towels were replaced and none of the small amenities were replaced. Luckily we had enough towels left from the first stocking and my girlfriend had extra cotton swabs, but just seems odd to take all the towels and not replace them.

Each morning we enjoyed room service breakfast. Normally I'd only get it one morning on a weekend, but we were really busy in the mornings and room service was very convenient. Both times a small item was forgotten, but both servers were very apologetic and ran down to get the item. On the second day I wanted some Tabasco and instead of just bringing one he brought me five. Room service was tasty, quick and overall was very good.

Valet service was quick to bring our car around each time, but one night when we arrived back at around 11PM there was another bout of laziness. I pulled up and no one was nearby. By the time we had grabbed our belongings and made it half way through the lobby, a valet person walked out from behind the front desk. The look he gave us was priceless though. He looked questioningly at our keys, as if almost unsure what to do with them. Between the Kimpton tag still on the keys and me saying, "I'd like to drop the car off for the night," it should have been obvious what was happening. Again, nothing really bad, but just seemed sloppy.

Check out was smooth and our bill was accurate. I had a rate including parking and was happy to see this handled without me asking. The gentlemen checking us out was friendly and it was nice to meet another person who loved Philadelphia as much as we do.

Overall this was an OK stay. I might give it another shot, or might try the Monaco DC next time. Hopefully with a little elbow grease on the rooms and a little coaching with the employees everything can be at 100% next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark H,
Thank you so much for staying with us this past November and for being such a loyal guest to Kimpton. I am sorry that your stay wasn't 100%. We are usually obsessed with paying attention to the details you mentioned as lacking and I would like to present you my sincere apologies. When you are back in town please let me know. Together with the rest of the team, we will make sure we deliver the service and quality you have come and should expect while staying with us. Best wishes, Stephane
Pleasant Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a lovely hotel located in a great area of DC. It was close to the metro line and other restaurants and bars. The room was small but very clean and modern. The bed was one of the more comfortable hotel beds that I have slept in. The staff was very helpful and provided great service. I would definitely return. The only thing that was disappointing was the cost of the parking, beware its VERY expensive.

Dear CGO11,
We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a great time. Parking is really becoming a premium in DC. To increase value, check out some of our packages that include the cost of parking the next time you are in town. Thanks you so much for your great comments and we hope to welcome you back soon. Best wishes, Stephane
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a pretty solid choice, I usually prefer the Kimpton Brand for Boutique hotels. The Palomar has a nice modern vibe with a no fuss feel. The room is lovely, the bed is heavenly. You just never want to leave it. Great locaton, plenty dining and quick food options nearby, area is walker friendly and the Metro is very close. The hotel resutrant and bar Urbana is good and highly rated. Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. I ended up having to extend a couple of days longer due to Hurricane sandy and they were very accomendaing and helpful. I enjoyed my stay very much and will certainly consider staying here again for any future trips to DC.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a excellent hotel in a fantastic area of DC.

The room was very spacious and the bathroom was great.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The 'wine time' happy hours in the afternoon were great - we only got the chance to be there in time once, but still a great idea.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!