“Worth the price just for the free happy hour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #14 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Rancho Mirage, California
“Worth the price just for the free happy hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Was a nice stay for 3 nights. The lobby has a very trendy feel. Free happy hour from 5-6pm. TIP: go down to the lobby about 15 min. early to get a comfortable seat and stay camped there. Very busy happy hour with limited seating. Location is an easy 2 block walk from the Metro. Received an email the week prior from the hotel offering a room upgrade for $15/ night based upon availability, which did clear at check-in. Was a nice size room with a wild animal motif (leopard and zebra) which was fun for a city hotel. Would stay again. Free coffee in the lobby but there is a Starbucks next door.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

2,603 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
Wynnewood, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I'm a bit torn between a 3 and a 4 on this stay. Nothing was particularly bad, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and bump it to 4.

Usually we stay at the Willard in DC, but recently becoming IC with InTouch I thought we'd give Kimpton a try in DC. After this stay I was missing the Willard.

When we arrived, the valet was quick to show up, offer to help with our bags and give us the valet tag. Check in was also pretty smooth. I wasn't told about the upgrade we ended up getting or given any mention of my IC status. These are pretty minor things, but just kind of set me up for the stay. I had originally booked a Deluxe Suite and we had been moved up to a Spa Suite.

The room was roomy and reminded me very much of the similar suite at the Palomar Los Angeles. Perhaps they were designed around the same time. Walking to the room, it was very dark. Not an issue, more just a note. The room itself was well appointed with plenty of seats and lots of room. But, everything was seriously beat up. How old is this hotel and how long ago was the last renovation? From looking at this room, the place is in serious need of at least a quick touch up. One of the sliding doors wouldn't close, and the ones that did slide were very hard to move. A quick application of lubricant could easily solve this problem. The door that could slide to cover up the window into the bathroom was actually missing a part of the wood covering the railing. It was sitting on top of the railing. Did no one notice this while cleaning the room? It didn't bother me much, but just really shows a lack of effort. The paint around the doors was bubbling and peeling at spots. The drapes to cover the bedroom window were not long enough to cover the whole window. So, what was done? There was a piece of double sided tape to hold it on the wall. It just seems very lazy not to fix these things. In one afternoon this entire room could be fixed up almost like new again.

In the room we had our normal IC amenities. They were actually pretty good and exactly what we'd like. Only odd part was the note. It had my name on it and a place for the author to sign it, but no one signed it. Again, just seems a bit absentminded. The odd part though, was the housekeeper took our remaining pretzels away on the second day. They were still good and more than half were left!

Housekeeping was decent, but the small laziness or forgetfulness continued. Only some of the towels were replaced and none of the small amenities were replaced. Luckily we had enough towels left from the first stocking and my girlfriend had extra cotton swabs, but just seems odd to take all the towels and not replace them.

Each morning we enjoyed room service breakfast. Normally I'd only get it one morning on a weekend, but we were really busy in the mornings and room service was very convenient. Both times a small item was forgotten, but both servers were very apologetic and ran down to get the item. On the second day I wanted some Tabasco and instead of just bringing one he brought me five. Room service was tasty, quick and overall was very good.

Valet service was quick to bring our car around each time, but one night when we arrived back at around 11PM there was another bout of laziness. I pulled up and no one was nearby. By the time we had grabbed our belongings and made it half way through the lobby, a valet person walked out from behind the front desk. The look he gave us was priceless though. He looked questioningly at our keys, as if almost unsure what to do with them. Between the Kimpton tag still on the keys and me saying, "I'd like to drop the car off for the night," it should have been obvious what was happening. Again, nothing really bad, but just seemed sloppy.

Check out was smooth and our bill was accurate. I had a rate including parking and was happy to see this handled without me asking. The gentlemen checking us out was friendly and it was nice to meet another person who loved Philadelphia as much as we do.

Overall this was an OK stay. I might give it another shot, or might try the Monaco DC next time. Hopefully with a little elbow grease on the rooms and a little coaching with the employees everything can be at 100% next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Mark H,
Thank you so much for staying with us this past November and for being such a loyal guest to Kimpton. I am sorry that your stay wasn't 100%. We are usually obsessed with paying attention to the details you mentioned as lacking and I would like to present you my sincere apologies. When you are back in town please let me know. Together with the rest of the team, we will make sure we deliver the service and quality you have come and should expect while staying with us. Best wishes, Stephane
Pleasant Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a lovely hotel located in a great area of DC. It was close to the metro line and other restaurants and bars. The room was small but very clean and modern. The bed was one of the more comfortable hotel beds that I have slept in. The staff was very helpful and provided great service. I would definitely return. The only thing that was disappointing was the cost of the parking, beware its VERY expensive.

Dear CGO11,
We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a great time. Parking is really becoming a premium in DC. To increase value, check out some of our packages that include the cost of parking the next time you are in town. Thanks you so much for your great comments and we hope to welcome you back soon. Best wishes, Stephane
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a pretty solid choice, I usually prefer the Kimpton Brand for Boutique hotels. The Palomar has a nice modern vibe with a no fuss feel. The room is lovely, the bed is heavenly. You just never want to leave it. Great locaton, plenty dining and quick food options nearby, area is walker friendly and the Metro is very close. The hotel resutrant and bar Urbana is good and highly rated. Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. I ended up having to extend a couple of days longer due to Hurricane sandy and they were very accomendaing and helpful. I enjoyed my stay very much and will certainly consider staying here again for any future trips to DC.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a excellent hotel in a fantastic area of DC.

The room was very spacious and the bathroom was great.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The 'wine time' happy hours in the afternoon were great - we only got the chance to be there in time once, but still a great idea.

Athens Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Large easy restful spacious rooms, huge work desk, large- screen tv, stocked mini bar, perks for members, good wifi for all devices, and leopard bathrobe. I thought this Kimpton was much nicer than both LA and San Francisco because of the beautiful rooms and great value. The bathrooms were modern, but the bath tub/ shower itself very small and basic in relation to the spaciousness ad luxury of the rest of the room. If the price goes up though, not sure if I would opt to return for economy only.

There are spa services advertised, as well as in-room, but didn't try as they were pricy. Full gym also available. No slippers but socks for purchase in-room. Starbucks on corner, and Pain Quotidien one block away for breakfast out, many good restaurants in area, duPont circle exactly 2 blocks away

The only drawback was the cleaning service in the room which failed to clean up the room during normal . When I am in, I always have the do not disturb sign n the door, but remove it when I go out. I went out between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm, when the room was never cleaned although someone entered to replace the liter water bottle in the mini bar. As I was resting from the day's walking and shopping, and considering getting ready for dinner, the housekeeping staff telephoned at 5:15 pm to ask if I would like my rom serviced at that time. Not really, would you?

Room Tip: My room was an executive king and was beautiful. It looked out towards the street, not towards the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent a weekend in this hotel. One of its advantages is that it is a couple of blocks away from Dupont Circle Metro Station. The room is reasonable in size, bathroom is comfortable and noiseless (we stayed at the 10th floor). It has a very nice Reception and direct access to the Urbana restaurant which has a very decent menu and not too overpriced. Very close by to the hotel you can find several restaurants: thai, mexican, italian too. There is a Starbucks nearby. However, one recommendation is to have breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien. It has very interesting and delicious options.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Beto_Rios,
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience. Awesome to hear that you enjoyed everything the hotel has to offer and especially found our restaurant a great place to eat. The neighborhood is indeed a lot of fun. Great that you had a chance to experience it like the Locals do! We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane

Been to Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!