“Awesome staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Irving, Texas
“Awesome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during our week in Washington. Let me just say WOW! Exceptional service still exists. It is not the adversities that define but how they are handled. Our first day there we get locked out of our room due to a dead battery on the door mechanism. Security is the first to arrive and quickly I might add. Engineering is next on the scene - the hotel sent us to the bar on them while the battery was replaced. Both security and the engineer were extremely polite and apologetic. Joe the bartender was AWESOME - he knows his tequilla! He told us about local places to go eat and places to visit. The hotel took care of arranging our open top site seeing tour and our shuttle back to the airport. Due to our later flight the hotel held on to our luggage. My husband and I realised about 4pm that the hotel had booked the shuttle to the wrong airport. We were to fly out of BWI. The hotel was immediately on the phone trying to arrange another shuttle. The shuttle was unable to accomadate us. The hotel arranged for a limousine to take us to the airport and again sent us to the bar for drinks on them while we waited for a driver. While we never ate at the restaraunt the food looked and smeeled great. The hotel is centrally located and there are many choices for shopping and food. This is the only hotel that we will stay at if we ever get back to Washington.

Room Tip: The beds are hard and the pillows are soft. We were on the 9th floor and it was quiet..
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Palomar Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear lawana g,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I was happy to read that each staff member displayed care and attention to all your needs. I will make sure to share your review with the team. We are thrilled you chose our hotel and hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Stephane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Hebrew first
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I've had the chance to stay at three of the Kimpton properties in DC, the Monaco, Topaz and Palomar - the last two back to back this week. The Palomar stacks up well. Well designed rooms, good Aveda amenities (but I wish they had a teapot in the room), quiet rooms (I had what I call the "Priceline" room which I got for a great rate, but typically these are the rooms that are less desirable. Mine was right on the parking lot, but it was reasonably quiet on a Thursday night!)

I find the staff at all Kimpton properties are stellar. The care of cleanliness and housekeeping varies. While I was only one night at the Palomar, I liked what I saw. (There were more challenges at the Topaz earlier in the week.) I like the happy hour at all the properties.

The Palomar has a great location right near Dupont circle; restaurants, shops, etc.

Dear choconancy,

Thank you so much for your great feedback and for being a fan! Let me know when you are back in town. We do keep tea kettles and coffee makers for guest who requests them. I will be happy to set it up prior to your arrival.

Best Whishes,
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel two years ago on a business trip and was happy to see the company book a room here for a trip last week. I stayed four nights. The staff is very friendly and engaging and there are lots of employees around to help meet your needs. The rooms are well appointed and the beds are very comfortable. I loved the cheetah bath robes, the bedside table with built-in soft illumination, the well-stocked mini-bar, and the Aveda products. The smoked salmon bagel I had delivered for breakfast one morning was delicious and the delivery was perfecty timed.

I'd highly recommend this place for single or couple travelers looking for a place in Dupont Circle.

Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at the Palomar, and I could not have had a better experience. My room was beautiful (thank you for the upgrade!), and it was truly a first class experience. I travel for business frequently (and I have stayed at many DC hotels), and the staff handled all of my business and personal needs with style and finesse. I truly can not say enough positive things about this hotel, and there is no doubt I will be returning.

Dear MelissaR2012

We are thrilled you chose our hotel and had a great time. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. If you need anything at all prior or during your future stay, please let me know.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We had a lovely weekend in DC staying at the Palomar. We had a deluxe king room which was very spacious and welcomed a lot of natural sunlight! The dupont circle area was just great surrounded by many restaurant options and just a few short blocks to the metro station. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They gave us two fabulous restaurant recommendations in the area which we were very pleased with. On our last day, we inquired about renting bicycles in the area only to find out that the hotel had bikes we can borrow! This was one of my highlights of the the trip! Gabriel helped us with this and made sure we were having a good time and that everything was to our liking.

The room was stocked with Aveda products which were great. The bathroom was quite large, almost the size of my bedroom at home! hahaha. The bed was very comfortable and found the hotel very quiet and peaceful.

The happy hour/wine tasting, etc was a very nice touch. After a long day of walking around and sightseeing, it was nice to grab a drink and some light snacks before dinner. Our room came with complimentary breakfast. Considering the caliber of the hotel and the happy hour the previous evening, I was quite surprised about the breakfast. There were very few options and we were segregated from the rest of the dining area of the restaurant...I did enjoy the food I ate as I am not a big eater however, it did not look very impressive and again, not quite reaching the high standards set in this hotel chain.

Palomar is located in a fabulous neighborhood and was not surrounded by the hustle and bustle of a touristy area. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to DC. Thank you for a great stay.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We booked this place on the back of the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor, and to be honest as we approached our stay we were a bit nervous - could this place really be as good as everyone says?

Well, it was. The rooms were, by US standards, enormous, and beautifully fitted out. Breakfast was plentiful. But what really marks the Palomar out is the service. The staff could not have been friendlier. When we had a small problem with our bath (plug not working) not only was it fixed promptly but the engineer offered us a free DVD as compensation.

The hosted wine reception is a lovely addition (although they need to stop interlopers as quite a few non-residents crashed it during our stay) and while we were they had an artist doing free caricature drawings of people - again a nice touch.

If I had to quibble I would say the views from the room weren't great (of a car park). The walls were a little thin. But that really was it. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear ScruttonStreet1,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are really proud of the atmosphere we create. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.

virginia beach,VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

The Palomar is located near Dupont Circle, one of my favorite areas in DC. 3 blocks to Q st entrance of Metro and tons of dining options. My hotel stay was good but did not blow me away. We stayed 2 nights over the weekend, first night in a Deluxe Queen room which was pretty tiny. We inquired about an upgrade and they were able to put us in an Executive King room which was much more spacious and somehow the bed was a lot more comfortable as well. The continental breakfast was a little limited so we went out for breakfast the second morning. I would stay here again but I'm still searching for my favorite DC hotel

Dear bridybo

Thank you for your great feedback. I am pleased to read that you found the Executive King room comfortable. We are indeed located in a fun and vibrant neighborhood. I am so happy you enjoyed it. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you return. I hope we can make the Palomar your favorite hotel in DC.