“Great location,nice rooms, a little bit tired, basic bkfst, good value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #46 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

Within walking distance of the white house,
Original design, friendly staff, lots of space (room for 4), free intrnet.
Hotel decoration could use revamping.
Breakfast is basic.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Hello jdill.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am glad you liked the location and that the staff were friendly. I hope that the next time you come into the city you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Virginia Beach, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

As anyone looking to stay at a hotel in DC knows, it is very expensive. I was looking for a cheaper hotel without going too cheap. I passed this one by on TripAdvisor because the rate was over $500 for two nights. When I contacted the hotel directly they told me is was $150 per night. I would strongly recommend that anyone booking a hotel through this site contact the hotel directly to ensure they're not getting ripped off.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello A TripAdvisor Member.

Thank you for staying at Hotel Rouge during your recent trip to Washington, DC. I apologize for the difference in price that you saw but I am glad that you got the right price and stayed with us after all. I hope that you will stay again soon!
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

Booked through AmericanAirlines Vacations and it was a fantastic value. Nice, clean, good sized rooms.

My only negatives are that our entry cards had to be reset everytime we came back to the hotel (a glitch they assured was rare, but this happened to both our rooms), and a lack of stations on the television (someone in our group was unable to see many of the sites and stayed at the hotel a lot), no real restaurant.

• Liked — Fantastic staff.
  • Disliked — No real restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2009
Hello Jescs,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback. I do apologize about your key cards and the television channels. I will be happy to pass your feedback on to the operations team. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Dili, East Timor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I have stayed at Hotel Rouge quite a few times, as it is the closest hotel to the office I work from when in Washington DC. The hotel has a very distinctive personality - be prepared for a riot of red styling and leopard print carpet in the hallways! Probably not for everyone, but I thought it was fun and a nice change from generic beige chain hotels. The rooms are spacious and some have nice district views from the upper floors.

The hotel restaurant is not great, and you have to walk a few blocks for other dining options and to get to the metro. The hotel staff are enthusiastic but not always very helpful.

The hotel often has excellent promotional rates on offer, in which case it is great value. However if given a choice I would generally prefer to stay at Hotel Palomar or Donovan House, which are both slightly more upmarket options.

• Liked — Leopard print carpet
  • Disliked — Hotel restaurant
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hello Salbolt.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. We appreciate your business and your comments. I am glad that you like the hotel décor and enjoy the enthusiastic staff. You’re right that we do offer some great promotional rates throughout the year and we encourage everyone to look into these. Thank you and please come back and stay again!
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We arrived at the hotel where we had a one night stay planned! I've stayed at numourous hotels around the globe from 5*lux to backpackers and i can honelty say this is one of my favorite hotels EVER! The room was massive Probably the size of my house back home! The best thing was attention to detail and the theme that runs through makes it slightly unusual and quirky.

The staff were helpful and friendly, the hotel was exceptionally clean. The location is excellent everything is within walking distance i rarely stay at the same hotel twice as i like viarity but this hotel is worth going to washington for!

• Liked — value and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Banana0411.

Thank you so much for staying with us during your trip to Washington DC. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and thought it was massive. We are all excited that this is one of your favorite hotels ever and that the staff was helpful and friendly. Thank you for staying and please do come back and stay again soon!
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

As a travel agent i can be very very picky when it comes to places to stay. On the way to NY for the holidays my husband and I desided to stay in D.C. for a few nights. I wanted a hotel that was comfortable, affordable, in a great location, and that would not mind taking exotic pets. We have rats.
I found the Hotel Rouge after an exhaustive search of the area. Even while checking other hotels I started using the Hotel Rouge as the one to compare the others to.
It was stylish, when I called to ask about my pets they were very nice, and offered parking (at a nominal fee).
I desided on th hotel and I have to say that the hubby and I could not have picked a better place. The wine reception in the evening was just the thing after a day of hitting the museums.
Eveyone was very nice and always had a smile.
They are about 2 blocks away from the Dupont Circle metro stop and about 4 blocks behind the White House.
The beds were very comfortable, rooms very spacious and clean.
One of the best things about the place was the fact that when I booked the room I got it for one price. A few days later I looked to see if the prices had changed. In fact they had gone down almost $30 a night. I called the hotel and asked if I could get the new rate and they changed it no problem.
And added bonus: about a block away is a great Middle Eastern place that we ended eating at both nights.
Enjoy the ROUGE!!

• Liked — willingness to change room price, ease of check in, evening wine reception, overall look, comfort of rooms and beds, great employees
  • Disliked — The parking price was kinda steep but worth it in the long run
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hello Deepsilvr,

Thank you for staying at the hotel during your recent trip to Washington DC. Be sure to tell everyone about your stay! I hope that you will come back and join us again soon! Thank you and have a nice day!
Suffolk, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed here Jan 01-03, in room 314. It was a corner room and like almost every Kimpton room I have stayed in, it was huge. The staff was friendly and the wifi is free in your room. We got a great rate through Kimpton directly and I think they have a price match program, so I highly reccomend going directly through them. When we arrived it was freezing and we were tired and hungry, so I called down to the desk and asked what delivery they reccomended in the area for dinner. They sent up multiple menus of local eateries, we chose Pizza Bolis, which was very good. The room was cleaned when requested. The valet is a bit high, over $30.00 a night but worth it, trying to park in DC is a nightmare on a good day. One complaint would be the lack of TV stations in this particular property, there seem to have been more in the other Kimpton's I have stayed in. The lobby, elevators and hallways have a nice perfumed smell, and they have free wine around 5 pm. This was an amazing value as we paid about $90.00 a night, and the rooms are giant!

• Liked — The room size and attentive staff
  • Disliked — The valet price
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!