“No such thing as a free lunch... Or breakfast.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #52 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Perth, Australia
“No such thing as a free lunch... Or breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

So you might wonder why I'm saying this about breakfast... Well, as a very long haul traveller, one of the exquisite things about being in a hotel a long way from home is ... Breakfast. Silly me, booked my group of 10 into the rouge on a Kimpton "add breakfast for $1" deal. Even sillier me, didnt think that the rate would be top rack nor the "breakfast" basically juice and bagels.... I'd had the pleasure of breakfast at sister property Donovan House previously and assumed it would be comparable. This is my very very big (and expensive) gripe. So now we are done with that...
Rouge. Very nice. Very fun. Very red. Great room although for what I paid, a view of something that wasn't a parking lot would have been lovely. Agree with everyone else here that paper thin walls are interesting... Location terrific. You can get breakfast 2 minutes walk away for alot less than the miserable offering in the hotel! Harald is a star. However if you are travelling with low credit card limits may want to be aware that rouge takes a whacking $500 off you just in case you want to ingest everything in the mini bar. Why?! That's an awful lot of peanuts rouge!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear SadTravellingOnMyOwn. Thank you for letting other travelers know about your recent experience at the Rouge. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry that you were underwhelmed by our breakfast for $1 more. The package includes a continental breakfast which includes juice, fruit salad, pastries, toast/bagels, yogurt and assorted cereals and granola. If you are looking for eggs, bacon and a more American style breakfast, we have that too! It’s just not a part of the breakfast for $1 more package.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Turkish first
Towson, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I spent two nights at Hotel Rouge this past weekend. I was traveling with a friend so we had a two-queen-bedded room. The room was big - lots of space, though the reading chair was uncomfortable, and had no light nearby.

The decor is sort of neo-bordello. LOTS of red (hence the name) and lots of bold B&W graphics. Very comfortable bed, Small but adequate bathroom, and reasonable storage space. For a longer stay, the closet space would be insufficient, but for a few days, it's fine.

The bed was comfortable, and the room was quiet. Heavy curtains kept out the light, so it's great for sleeping.

The included wine reception was a bonus.

The only negative would be the inconsistency of the front desk staff. The fellow at checkin was very helpful, and offered restaurant advice when needed. We were up early on Sunday, and looking for breakfast. I asked at the front desk, and the guy told me where several were, but he had no idea if they'd be open at the 9am hour or not. He really didn't know the area like he should, and there were no resources at the desk to help him.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Vivavino. Thank you for commenting on your visit to the Rouge. I hope that your next review will be “Great room, great location and great staff”! I apologize for the inconsistnacy in service. It is unusual for us to hear that the staff were less than amazing but all feedback is important and we will be sure to use your comments to improve.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

During a recent weekend trip to DC we stayed at Rouge and had a great experience. The staff was very friendly and resourceful. Chase at the front desk couldn't have been more helpful. He gave us tips on places nearby to eat that we could walk to, helped us learn about Uber cab service to get around using a credit card in DC (We didn't realize so many cabs are still cash only) and even left us some refreshments as a welcome gift. It was a nice touch to come back to after walking around the city all day. We loved the free wine hour and the beds were really comfortable. You also can't beat the location if you're looking for something close to more of the non-tourist type restaurants and neighborhoods, but still close enough to get to the mall if needed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear WRP68152 Thank you for letting other travelers know about your great experience at the Rouge! Looks like we have a new fan! Thank you for noticing how wonderful our staff is – AND for giving Chase a shout out.
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed at Kimpton properties Rouge and Helix (a block away from the Rouge).

Rouge is like a nightclub that is no longer trendy. Dotted metal front door with serpentine handles and crimson red everywhere.

Pros:

* InTouch members (free to anyone to signs up) entails $10 "Raid the Bar" credit from the mini bar. I got a 1 liter Fred spring water ($6) and 20 oz smartwater ($4), and did not have to buy bottled water during my stay.

* Harald Han at the front desk greeted me by name when I checked in, and he was an absolute professional - he could have been an ambassador for Four Seasons. The rest of the staff was friendly and hard working.

* If you are interested, they offer a rent-a-bike program and free yoga mats in the room.

* 5 - 6 pm wine hour featured a red and white wine, and some sweet potato tater tots in the lobby. Nothing fancy but still nice.

Cons:

* Walls are paper thin and I could hear conversations clearly late past midnight. I had to sleep with earplugs - never enjoyable.

* Water pressure was piddly. It took me more than twice the normal time to shower because the water was more like a light drizzle.

* Gilchrist & Soames shampoo, conditioner and shower gel were bolted to the wall like you would find at the gym, and the nozzle was set so low, you had to pump a dozen times to get a quarter size of product. Also they all smelled kind of like toothpaste, which was unpleasant.

* There were heavy red velvet curtains in the windows, great for blocking light to sleep, but not great when you wanted sunlight during the day. These curtains were locked in three sections along the windows, so it was impossible to sweep them to the side to let in the sun or fresh air.

* Continental breakfast (approx $12) did not entail hot food. It was hard bagels and hard bread, over-sugary muffins and croissants that tasted like they came from the supermarket, stale fruit, yogurt cups and cereal. Mighty Leaf tea was very good, though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Wanderlust2014. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Rouge. I am pleased that for the most part you enjoyed your visit and the perks that we provide for our loyal Kimpton InTouch Members! Your feedback will be seriously reviewed with the team so that we will continuously improve. Also, if the décor is not your style, we have 8 other Kimpton Hotels in the DC area for you to choose from. We hope to see you back at one of our hotels during your next trip to DC.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

great service, everyone was friendly and helpful. if you valet your car, be prepared that it will take 30 min to retrieve it so call ahead/plan accordingly. hotel was strangely a bit tricky to find for our gps, and for uber, but after a few goes around the rotary we managed. decent breakfast, complimentary wine at happy hour and coffee in the morning in the lobby was a nice touch. fitness center is small and the lights are motion detected so for some reason 30 min into my workout the lights went off so i had to either continue to run in the dark or stop and walk around the door, even though i was in there moving anyway. was pet friendly which we loved and they even brought us up dog beds which was very kind of them. Also was super impressed with their eco friendly practices - very impressive (despite my fitness center mishap). overall vibe and atmosphere was fun, friendly, and funky.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear lam012289. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rogue’s great service, accommodations and unique vibe. Thank you for letting other travelers know about your good experience and we look forward to welcoming you back.
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I really liked this hotel, it's the sort of colour scheme that you either love or hate, and I loved it. The front desk service was excellent and the location near the White House , DuPont circle etc was great. I would have been happy to give thus a 5 star review, but a couple of things let them down.

The breakfast was odd , not particularly nice and the staff unhelpful. The worst thing was the little fruit flies that were all over the eating area. I don't know if this was rotten food or something but it was most unpleasant .

On departure we asked for a taxi to the airport. We were told that the hotel limo service was going to the airport and that we could have this but only have to pay the normal taxi price ($60 ish). However on arrival at the airport the driver asked for $95 . It felt like we had been set up, and reluctantly after telling the driver that this was a set up paid him €80.

I later tried yo contact the Rouge via the website contact page. I have written twice now and not received any response or acknowledgement .

Really disappointing end to a great stay in Washington, and appalling customer service..

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bernard F. Thank you for your feedback! I am so disappointed that your visit was tainted by the car service to the airport. We do work with some drivers and we strickly enforce proper quotes prior to guest’s agreeing to the service. I will be sure to find out who this driver was and be sure that he/she is not used again! I am disappointed that there were fruit flies around the buffet at breakfast. That’s gross! I don’t hear that often and when we do get ANY reports of bugs, we immediately get our pest control guy out to take care of it. I will be sure that the servers are also letting me know right away even if they even see ONE!
Wesley Chapel, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at the Rouge because of the reviews. It's fine, but really nothing special. The staff is friendly, the restaurant was really bad!!! They had one guy working who seemed new, they had no sugar, get eating utensils was a chore and the food was not very good. I asked for some bread with butter and was given 4 pieces of bread that was hard as a rock and no butter. I ordered iced tea and it was the absolute worst, I mean it's just iced tea, how can you mess that up . He said they didn't have that so he made some himself....
We waited forever for service not enough staff to provide the proper service.
The rooms were nice, but again nothing special. We would likely try another hotel on our next visit to DC.
The bell staff was excellent, friendly and always making the extra effort.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MyChickie. Ouch! We are not used to hearing that our guest’s did not enjoy us but please know that your feedback is very valuable. I hope that you will try us again and experience the great visit that you deserve and that most of our guests are familiar with.