“A diamond of a surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast $1 More
Ranked #37 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alexandria VA
“A diamond of a surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was a last-minute good deal trip, and I don't think I could have done better! This place definitely (and thankfully) lacks the stuffiness of many DC hotels. Funky decor (Austin Powers would be pleased, as was I). I booked on a pre-pay discount web site, but definitely didn't come away feeling like I was treated like trash (as I often do at a number of larger chain hotels). From the friendly staff at check-in, to the huge, spacious rooms with LOTS of natural lighting from the large windows, it was a GREAT stay. And I'm not in the greatest fitness, but the metro is only a pleasant (and safe) 15 minute walk away. And along the walk, it was very fascinating to see what organization one building housed and whose embassy the next building housed. HIGHLY recommend! An affordable, comfortable alternative to the ridiculous prices charged by the big chain hotels in DC.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking 16th street, but didn't hear any street noise. I would say avoid the e...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear tcm_crew. Thank you so much for such a great review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel! We are unique and love it when our guest’s notice our fun and friendly vibe. We hope that you will remember your experience when finding a place to stay during your next trip to DC and thanks again.

1,030 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Turkish first
Chappaqua, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Lovely hotel (converted apartment building) steps from Dupont Circle. Funky Decor. We had a very large Double Queen Deluxe room with a sitting area. Only complaint is that bathroom was small and not well-ventilated. We were traveling with our dog and needed an early arrival. They were very accommodating. ALso, I left a shoe at the hotel and it was sent back for free. Head of housekeeping even called me from home on her day off to make sure I knew she was on top of the situation. Would go back when in the area. Kimpton Hotel are great.

Room Tip: Queen Queen Deluxe-very large for DC area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Chappaqua3. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge and for being a Kimpton fan! We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to DC!
Cumberland, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Spent 2 days at the Rouge and I was not a huge fan. I found the decor (RED), to be to much. That aside, the hotel seemed dated and a little dirty. The room was spacious, and not too bad. The elevators were small and not as clean as they should have been. For the price I was unsatisfied. Will not stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Veritas938. Thank you for staying with us. We are so bummed that we were not a good fit for you! There are a lot of Kimpton Hotels to choose from in DC and I am happy to help you find one that more suitable to your taste.
Lititz, PA (native NYer)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I love staying at Kimpton properties. As InTouch members, you can't beat the perks. Plus, they have such a fun vibe and chicly decorated rooms. Rouge was centrally located, about five blocks from the White House. The hotel felt a little dated in the lobby. Our room, an executive king suite, was quite large. However, with all that extra space, they could have designed it better to have a bigger bathroom instead of a ton of wasted space with a smaller-than-average bath that had no circulation vent or fan. It was quite hot outside during our stay and even with the AC on full blast, the room had a hard time staying cool and felt humid. Also, the mini refrigerator was quite dirty with stains on the bottom shelf. So that kind of was a turn off. The staff were all excellent and incredibly friendly and helpful. We stayed for our anniversary. Upon arrival, we told our host the secret password (so fun, btw, nice touch!) to which we got to choose a "prize." As she was telling us about our options, she indicated not to go with the complimentary bottle of wine as they had something planned for us since it was our anniversary. With that expectation set, and since we stayed two nights, we were quite excited. However, the surprise gesture and wine never arrived. That didn't bother us in particular, but the expectation should not have been set. Overall, I would recommend but if returning to DC, i would opt to stay at their sister property instead.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear purplejennybean. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Rouge. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location and large rooms but reading about the lack of detail in cleanliness and service while you were here is disappointing! We rarely miss the mark, especially with special occasions, and we will be sure that the suggestions you have made and the cleanliness issues are seriously reviewed.
Philadephia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

It was my fist stay at the Hotel Rouge.
I really enjoyed my room, very specious for a Quenn bed. Great modern decor and very comfortable beding.
I was just a little surprised of the parking price. $50 including tax. Valet only, no self parking. You have to leave your key at the front desk.
When I checked out, I asked the front desk to call for my car. I waited 20 mn. I had to ask again the Valet Attendant how long time I should wait to get my car. He then pulled out in 2mn. Parking is right under the hotel. Visibly he was never informed by the Front Desk. You just don't want to start your day like that. I was running late for my meeting.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear YannphillyR. I am glad your first experience with us was good, but we prefer it to be GREAT! I am sorry that the valet parking service was delayed and you are right, with DC parking prices as they are, cars should have their own beds!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Rouge Hotel for a few days during a trip to DC and really enjoyed it. If you're looking for something different than the usual Hilton or Marriott experience, this is a great choice. The decor is fun and the service was great and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. For the price it was pretty terrific. Here are the highlights:

1. Location - Close to DuPont circle. We did find the walk to the metro was a bit long in the heat of the summer. But it's in a nice location otherwise.

2. Parking - They have parking on premises and they were offering a 50% discount for a hybrid and a free night of parking for a red car ;-)

3. Rooms - Huge and spacious. We had two queens (many of the DC hotels are two doubles). Animal print robes. Wi-Fi was great and fast.

4. Continental Breakfast - Plenty of choices...fruit, bagels, oatmeal, cereal. We thought it was great. They also have a wine reception in the evening with appetizers.

5. Service - Everyone was very nice. They even brought in a red betta fish to our room to keep our daughter company.

Room Tip: Not your typical Hilton or Marriott
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear dbasl. Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rouge and we are thrilled that you found us to be a fantastic, funky and fun find! It’s our goal to be the best in DC, offering something unique and stylish for all types of travelers. Thank you for noticing and we look forward to welcoming you back!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I don’t always actively look to stay at a Kimpton property, but I am thinking I probably should since there service expectations are step above other chains.

Full kudos to the staff for being welcoming and engaged. There was also a gentleman on the last day that went above and beyond and hailed us a cab from the busier cross street that was close by (we were running late to a scheduled tour).

The hotel location is great if looking for a place by Dupont Circle and the room we had (king bed) was far roomier than expected. Highly recommend staying here for the excellent management and staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sharkfansd, Sounds like we hit a home run in all areas for you and the Rouge Team is cheering loudly! Thanks for letting other travelers know about your experience and we are excited that you will now actively seek out Kimpton Hotels when you travel around the country

Been to Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!