“Felt Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Antelope, California
“Felt Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

From reading reviews on line I thought this hotel was going to be awesome, especially since Kimpton is such a well respected name. If you are staying at a Kimpton Hotel ensure you sign up for the Kimpton In Touch program. We received a $10 credit for the mini-bar as well as free wi-fi. The lobby decor and staff was great. The room was a good size but very awkwardly arranged with our bathroom around a corner in our room. The bathroom is TINY, barely enough room to shower. Also the single sink/mirror is in the bathroom so there is no way for 2 people to get ready at the same time. The decor was great and very trendy, but the carpeting, bathroom and furnishings felt a little run down. The internet was terrible, it might have been only in our room but I would sit on the bed and get no reception, but sitting at the desk 3 feet away you would get wi-fi? It is also almost a 3/4 mile walk to either metro station (Dupont Circle or Farragut), and it is not a main street where taxis are readily available (The door man will happily catch a cab for you though). I probably wouldn't stay here again because I would like to be closer to the metro, need a more comfortable bed and didn't feel like it was an exception value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Kris C. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am pleased that overall, you enjoyed our unique style and friendly service. I’m sorry that you found us to be too far from the metro. We have 8 other Kimpton properties to choose from in DC and we hope that you will find a better fit at one of our sister hotels during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Turkish first
East Bridgewater, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Two years ago I stayed at Rouge in DC. We fell in love. I couldn't wait to go back. We left a glowing review here on Tripadvisor. Last Thursday, we arrived around 9:00 am. A room was not ready (we didn't expect it to be) so we left our bags and headed to the zoo for the day. Around 2 pm we came back and found a room was still not ready but they offered to give us a King at no extra charge. I went to give them my debit card and when the man at the counter gave me the amount it was $500 more that the amount of my emailed confirmation. I immediately said there was a problem and he said it was a $100/night "incidental" charge. First, I do not know who what type of people are staying at your hotels that would require such an enormous fee. Second, I am a seasoned traveler and never have I encountered this. The only other charge outside of an emailed confirmation was tax. In the email it does say incidental charge may apply, but does not state how much it is. I asked to speak to a manager after the guy at the desk stated I could simply just give him another credit card. We waited for 20 minutes for a manager and during that someone called the front desk and the man behind the desk was whispering. All I could make out was, "yes, they are still here." Almost like the manager was avoiding us, who by the way never came out. At this point my son who suffers from autism had a melt down. Everything needs to be structured for him and we spent painstaking time before the trip explaining each day and making sure he knew what would happen. I had to take him outside and it was very upsetting for everyone in my family. (My parents had come with us to the hotel). At this point I was fed up and we found another hotel to stay at and we ended up having a great vacation at their location for no hidden charges and $300 less than the original amount quoted from Rouge and we were closer to the city (Hotel Lombardi). I am outraged at what occurred and thankful we were able to find another hotel on Memorial Day weekend. I am curious to know if this is common practice at Kimpton Hotels or if Rouge is pulling the wool over people's eyes. We were not charged this amount two years ago, even though they said we were. I am thinking we were being charged the amount because we had a child with us. I will never stay at Rouge again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear anangel32003. Ouch! We are not used to hearing that our guest’s did not enjoy us but please know that your feedback is very valuable. We do require an additional authorization on guest’s credit cards in addition to room and tax for possible use of the restaurant, parking, movies, minibar and other incidentals. This is not a charge on the credit card, but an authorization to be sure that we are guaranteed the proper payment on departure. The authorization is released on departure.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

There is little to complain about at this hotel.

The bed was comfy. The room a good size. Location excellen (walk to Dupont and Logan Circle). Staff friendly enough.

Make sure you join the Kimption loyalty program to get free wireless. The speed of the internet was not that great, but it was free.

It comes with my reccomendation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sam S. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our location and overall experience including the added bonus of being a Kimpton InTouch member. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Got this room through Hotwire.com when choosing to stay in the DuPont D.C. area. Was very pleased and surprised when this came up as the mystery hotel. After reading tons and tons of reviews on tripadvisor.com and other websites I had extremely high expectations for the hotel. After arriving at the hotel at almost 10 p.m. the check in was smooth and was given room 309 room right next to ice machine maker and elevators. No double was available so my friend and I had to settle for a king size room. The room in itself was spacious and perfectly sized for two girls that need space to get ready in. Room had a couch which was told pulls out to a queen bed. But the King bed was big enough for us two to share without hitting eachother in the middle of the night. Bed was comfy and delicious to say the least (made getting up in the morning THAT much difficult)

I only have four complains about this cute, hip boutique hotel.

1. Two out of the three nights in the middle of the night my friend and I woke up choking on smoke. I smelled cigarette smoke for hours on end. It was horrible made breathing difficult. I thought we were on a smoking floor. I come to find out it was not a smoking room as stated on the directory right outside the room.

2. When showering the water would not go down. The tub would fill up mid-way and would not go down until I would close the water up and was done. I do not know why this was but it was just gross.

3. Wine reception hour is literally only ONE HOUR LONG and it is right smack in the middle of the day so if you are a tourist and out and about exploring D.C. you will never make it back to the hotel for wine hour.

4. WiFi is free but never worked while I was in the room.

Other than that...location is amazing! Everything is within walking distance. The hotel is very chic, hip and clean. So if I were to be assigned another room not next to the ice making machine and elevator, on a higher level with a view and no cigarette smell. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Higher the better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Renee A. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms and great location! We are a completely non smoking hotel and I am disappointed to hear that you smelled smoke from your room. When reported, we immediately communicate with the guest who is smoking so that they stop and we also charge a hefty fine! Our complimentary wine reception is from 5-6pm which is in the afternoon so that guests have time to return after a day of meetings or site seeing; however, if a guest just misses the reception or is running late, we are happy to give out complimentary glasses to make up for it. Thanks again for commenting on your visit and we hope to see you again soon!
andy654
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a wonderful stay. Great location, lovely big room and A wine hosting hour everyday. Would recommend this hotel for everyone one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Really friendly staff where nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andy654. Exceeding your expectations is our ultimate goal and being the “best hotel” in your eyes is the ultimate compliment! Thank you for letting other travelers know about your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Oak Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you read through the positive comments, such as by rushnspkr, they pretty much reflect what I thought. First, the location is great: not only is there Dupont Circle and its restaurants, but there is a Whole Foods an easy walk away.
The hotel has a boutique vibe but doesn't come off as pretentious or too hip for thou. Things are very "rouge" here, so be warned of that if you don't like red. They have a free wine hour, which is very pleasant in their cool bar.
Unlike with some hotel sites, the picture they show of the standard room, which is what I assume we had, is accurate. It is just a bit bigger than your average upscale hotel room.
I agree with the one complaint someone made about limited cable channels, but that is more of a general affliction of hotels.
I will note that while it did not rain while I was there, there was an umbrella in the room closet. Nice touch.

Room Tip: Not sure. Ours faced the entrance street, which was a very pretty view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Oakparker300. Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rouge! It’s our goal to be the best in DC, offering something unique and stylish for all types of travelers.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Wow, what a pleasantly surprising stay at Rough over Memorial Day weekend! The lobby is cool and inviting, with guests treateed to wine and olives in the evening, pizza around noon, and fresh ice water on tap all day.

The toiletries in the bathroom were revitalizing, not your standard low-grade stuff in tiny bottles. The bed was heavenly. Spacious, with a generous, fluffy duvet and ample pillows.

As others have said, the location is great. It's in walking distance to hot spots

My onlty criticism is the price for valet parking. $42 for hotel guests. Even for DC, this is extremly high in my opinion. Given that street parking is extremely limited to non-existent, I think Rouge could do better by its guests to lower the price by half. That would put it in the same range as public parking garages through the city.

We will definitely return, either to Rouge or to one or some of the other Kimpton properties in DC!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rushnspkr. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience at the Rouge and that you found us to be unique, friendly and comfortable at the same time. That’s exactly what we’re going for!

Been to Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!