“Brits Abroad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #54 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Brits Abroad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Wanted something a bit more interesting when we booked from the UK. This Washington Hotel fits the bill nicely and we had 2 nights here at the start of our 22 day trip to the USA. Walkable from the National Mall with no worries we had a full day walking around and doing the Smithsonian, in a couple of its forms..

Designed with cool and modern decor it wasn't big, downstairs but everything was there. Staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was nice and the food in the bar great, if you wanted to stay in of an evening. I had a couple of really nice beers from a good beer list.

The room was huge with two massive beds and had all the standard big hotel features. I joined Kimpton InTouch to get WiFi and because I was impressed with this first taste of the Kimpton Hotel group. I'd use them again, now.

Our only downside was getting scammed by a private hire taxi on the trip back to Dulles to pick up the hire car. They were hanging around outside the hotel and when the receptionist couldn't find another taxi we took this one and were overcharged. This was nothing to do with the hotel... more the lack of availability of metered taxis. Just a warning! We would probably be more sensible in London but everything was new and we were early on the trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Simon C. I am pleased you enjoyed Hotel Rogue’s great service, stylish & unique atmosphere and location. Thank you for telling other travelers about your good experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Pros: location, decent sized room, fair breakfast, good useable wireless internet
Cons: poor fit and finish, smelly room, decor misses the mark

The fact that this hotel is so highly rated is a testament to the poor value DC hotels offer. While passable for the money, my experience here left me wanting and I will be looking for a better hotel next time I am in DC.

The location is the best thing about this hotel. Close to DuPont Circle, it is easy to walk, get the metro, and find food. The area is safe and walking around is pleasant. The commute to- and from Reagan International is also relatively simple.

I shared a room with a friend of mine, which had plenty of space for both of us. However, the room reeked of smoke, despite requesting a non-smoking room. This never improved over the week we stayed. Unfortunately, the bathroom was really small and poorly finished. The door to the bathroom was beaten up with a loose doorknob, and the bathtub tap was nearly falling off. There was very little room to move inside the bathroom, and spartan storage space for any cosmetic items. Strangely, there was a small, useless nook between the bathroom and the rest of a rather spacious bedroom. I wish that extra space was used to make the bathroom larger.

The continental breakfast is free and on par with similar basic breakfasts. The wireless Internet is free provided you sign up for Kimpton's loyalty program. Frankly, I get tired of hotels doing this, because we live in the 21st century and Internet should be free at this price point. All that said, it is not terribly inconvenient to sign up, and the Internet is a decent, usable speed. I give special mention to this, as I have stayed in several hotels with "free" wireless that is ridiculously slow and utterly unusable. For me, it is a big deal because I need an Internet connection for work.

Last and probably least, I feel the decor misses the mark. While people describe the decor here as "funky" and "eclectic," those terms can only apply if the finish is up to snuff. Otherwise, it just looks old and cheap. The hallways are poorly lit with red everywhere--much like something out of a Bram Stoker novel.

Overall, I was disappointed with this hotel, but not enough to give it 2/5 and call it unacceptable. I just wanted something a little nicer.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Hotel guru N. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Palomar. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location but reading about the other negative issues while you were here were disappointing! We rarely miss the mark and we will be sure that the suggestions you have made are seriously reviewed. We are a completely non smoking hotel and I am sorry if someone was smoking near your room. Also, if the décor is not your style, we have 8 other Kimpton Hotels in the DC area for you to choose from. We hope to see you back at one of our hotels during your next trip to DC.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel had just the right amount of funk. In a good way. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the decor was cool, but not cheesy. My room was spacious, and the bathroom was large.
Location was great for the metro and nightlife.
I truly loved my stay and will be back.
My only teensy complaint...I was there on a Sunday night and came home in just enough time to catch Mad Men....and they don't carry AMC.
For what I paid for my stay...no worries. Great hotel. Period.

Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Jules4068 Thank you for recommending the Rouge to your friends and colleagues and I am so pleased that were exactly what you wanted! I am sorry that we did not offer AMC on our channel lineup. We will look into that so that Mad Men fans don’t have to set their DVR’s while traveling!
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This past weekend I was fortunate to try a DC hotel that I’ve never been to before. My boyfriend and I were pleasantly surprised! The Rouge was overall fantastic and exceeded my expectations. First off – the room. The room was huge. I had booked a simple king room and was given one in the corner of the 8th floor. It was an expansive rooms with windows all along the longest wall. The bed was comfortable, the décor a little funky (but note that the hotel is called the “rouge” so none too surprising that there were a lot of reds!). The minibar was part of this cool retro drawer set in its own little room that separated the bathroom from the living room/sitting area. All in all, the layout was wonderful for a two night stay; lots of storage space as well, which was nice.

The hotel doesn’t really have a legit restaurant, but it has a bar –which is, in my opinion, much more than a bar. There was ample seating and an even more ample “small plates list.” The menu consists of a lot of small plates, as well as full meal options (which can also be ordered in a small plate/appetizer type size if you wish to not eat a full meal). My bf and I were impressed with the drink menu – lots of clever cocktails to choose from. The food was also wonderful – we ordered a small plate of the mussels, baby back ribs, asparagus salad, and fries. These four dishes were plentiful – made for a great dinner. Everything was also reasonably priced and fresh/well made. The kitchen that serves the bar also serves room service, which had a similar menu.

The folks at this hotel make the hotel. Everyone was so pleasant and kind to interact with. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and recognized every guest who walked in/out, which made me feel more safe – and something that I would appreciate even more if I had been a female traveler traveling alone. Charisma at the bar was fantastic and made sure our drinks were always full. Oh – I should also note that the housekeeping at this particular hotel did a really thorough job with our room . The room was in great shape.

I also like the location; everything was within an easy walkable mile (or less) of our hotel: U St., the Mall/Washington Monument, and Dupont. Had a great visit and would definitely return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Amanda C. Thank you for being a fan of Hotel Rouge and for letting other travelers read about your great experience! I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations with our great rooms, location and awesome bar!
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

first time to Washington so this was a great location for a hotel. Clean and functional although the deco was a little strange (black and red leather interior). Staff friendly. Complimentary fruit and take-away coffee was appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear chlovestotravel. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our location and overall experience!
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I arrived into DC around 9:39 AM and caught a cab from the airport, called the front desk to see if an early check in was available and checked in shortly thereafter. I was given an excellent room(on the pet free floor due to allergies)and was able to settle in for a perfect weekend! The location of the hotel is so convenient, the staff warm and helpful, my room clean as a whistle and quite spacious. I will definitely stay here again and look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear khamilton10. I am pleased you “loved” Hotel Rogue’s great service, stylish & unique atmosphere and location. Thank you for telling other travelers about your good experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Its a trendy and well-located hotel; rooms are big and comfortable, bathroom rather small compared to the room. Breakfast is OK. Would prefer it again, as it is more "informal" and alternative in design compared to other business-like hotels in Washington DC.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear NatashaGD. Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rouge and glad that you found us interesting! It’s our goal to be the best in DC, offering something unique and stylish for all types of travelers.