“Exactly what I wanted” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #49 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Exactly what I wanted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel had just the right amount of funk. In a good way. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the decor was cool, but not cheesy. My room was spacious, and the bathroom was large.
Location was great for the metro and nightlife.
I truly loved my stay and will be back.
My only teensy complaint...I was there on a Sunday night and came home in just enough time to catch Mad Men....and they don't carry AMC.
For what I paid for my stay...no worries. Great hotel. Period.

Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Jules4068 Thank you for recommending the Rouge to your friends and colleagues and I am so pleased that were exactly what you wanted! I am sorry that we did not offer AMC on our channel lineup. We will look into that so that Mad Men fans don’t have to set their DVR’s while traveling!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This past weekend I was fortunate to try a DC hotel that I’ve never been to before. My boyfriend and I were pleasantly surprised! The Rouge was overall fantastic and exceeded my expectations. First off – the room. The room was huge. I had booked a simple king room and was given one in the corner of the 8th floor. It was an expansive rooms with windows all along the longest wall. The bed was comfortable, the décor a little funky (but note that the hotel is called the “rouge” so none too surprising that there were a lot of reds!). The minibar was part of this cool retro drawer set in its own little room that separated the bathroom from the living room/sitting area. All in all, the layout was wonderful for a two night stay; lots of storage space as well, which was nice.

The hotel doesn’t really have a legit restaurant, but it has a bar –which is, in my opinion, much more than a bar. There was ample seating and an even more ample “small plates list.” The menu consists of a lot of small plates, as well as full meal options (which can also be ordered in a small plate/appetizer type size if you wish to not eat a full meal). My bf and I were impressed with the drink menu – lots of clever cocktails to choose from. The food was also wonderful – we ordered a small plate of the mussels, baby back ribs, asparagus salad, and fries. These four dishes were plentiful – made for a great dinner. Everything was also reasonably priced and fresh/well made. The kitchen that serves the bar also serves room service, which had a similar menu.

The folks at this hotel make the hotel. Everyone was so pleasant and kind to interact with. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and recognized every guest who walked in/out, which made me feel more safe – and something that I would appreciate even more if I had been a female traveler traveling alone. Charisma at the bar was fantastic and made sure our drinks were always full. Oh – I should also note that the housekeeping at this particular hotel did a really thorough job with our room . The room was in great shape.

I also like the location; everything was within an easy walkable mile (or less) of our hotel: U St., the Mall/Washington Monument, and Dupont. Had a great visit and would definitely return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Amanda C. Thank you for being a fan of Hotel Rouge and for letting other travelers read about your great experience! I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations with our great rooms, location and awesome bar!
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

first time to Washington so this was a great location for a hotel. Clean and functional although the deco was a little strange (black and red leather interior). Staff friendly. Complimentary fruit and take-away coffee was appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear chlovestotravel. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our location and overall experience!
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I arrived into DC around 9:39 AM and caught a cab from the airport, called the front desk to see if an early check in was available and checked in shortly thereafter. I was given an excellent room(on the pet free floor due to allergies)and was able to settle in for a perfect weekend! The location of the hotel is so convenient, the staff warm and helpful, my room clean as a whistle and quite spacious. I will definitely stay here again and look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear khamilton10. I am pleased you “loved” Hotel Rogue’s great service, stylish & unique atmosphere and location. Thank you for telling other travelers about your good experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Its a trendy and well-located hotel; rooms are big and comfortable, bathroom rather small compared to the room. Breakfast is OK. Would prefer it again, as it is more "informal" and alternative in design compared to other business-like hotels in Washington DC.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear NatashaGD. Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rouge and glad that you found us interesting! It’s our goal to be the best in DC, offering something unique and stylish for all types of travelers.
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel overall was a little strange. My boyfriend and I went for our 3 year anniversary and upon entering the leather doors I found myself surrounded in red walls and animal print carpets. The hotel had a dark feel to it. Like Vampires would stay there. Although the room seemed fairly new, the fridge was broken. They were kind enough to send up champagne for our anniversary and due to the fact the the fridge was leaking all over the floor.

The location was pretty good though. About a 17 minute was to the white house.

Washington DC overall though is incredible. Very nice people with a wide range of things to do and restaurants to eat at.

It was a nice hotel, but I would probably try a different hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel Y. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am glad that you enjoyed DC and found our location convenient. We genuinely want every guest to have a good time and a great experience and I’m glad that it shows. If our atmosphere was not your cup of tea, we have plenty of Kimpton Hotels with different types of décor to choose from in DC and we hope that during your next trip we can find a better fit for you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very cool and hip modern decorator style. The lobby smells great. Rooms are spacious and well furnished. The bathroom is nice but small especially when compared to the size of the room. Location is GREAT, right across the Australian Embassy. A Whole Foods, Starbucks, and CVS are two to three blocks away with an extremely charming walk through treelined streets and gorgeous brownstones. A little tricky to get to, if you are not familiar with DC. You must valet park which is an unexpected higher expense. They promote free internet at least on the site that I booked and it was really $12.00 a day. One extremely great point is that its a chic hotel that allows dogs in a dog friendly neighborhood. Bar is cool, but pass on the food not worth the time or cost.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear LeonelMD. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Hotel Rouge. I love that you enjoyed our unique style and location. We think it’s nice change from boring beige!

Been to Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!