“Great hotel stay for DC Tap Fest!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #48 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Collingswood, New Jersey
“Great hotel stay for DC Tap Fest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here for two nights this past weekend, when I came for DC Tap Fest. I am happy to say that my stay was enjoyable and that the Hotel Rouge or its staff did not disappoint. They were friendly, courteous, and very efficient both at check in and check out. My room was tastefully decorated, clean, and the bed was very soft and comfortable. The hotel offers an evening wine reception that I recommend, as well as a bloody mary reception on Saturdays from 11-noon that's also fun. The hotel is well located, just a very easy walk to DuPont Circle restaurants and bars. Whole Foods Market is only a two block walk away on P Street between 15th and 14th. DuPont Circle Metro is about a five block walk away up Massachusetts Avenue. If you're coming on the weekend, I personally would recommend looking for parking on-street as it is not time limited in the area on weekends, is available, and the hotel valet is rather expensive at $40 per night. I have to say, I was very impressed with the Rouge and will definitely consider them for my future travel plans.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 4th floor or above; this will make sure you get a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear tapdancer77,

Thank you for spending time with while visiting DC! It’s great to see your stay was a success and our team took such good care. Take care and we hope to host you again in the very near future!

Warm regards,

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Spent a long weekend here with my husband. Upon check-in I indicated we have several pieces of luggage and would need valet...I had to ask for a bellman and for valet. They did not offer..at this point I knew it wouldn't be a typical kimpton. The valet person was rude and I felt he found my dogs annoying. They were barking after a 7 hr drive in the car..he rolled his eyes a few times. The rooms were fine, clean and nicely sized..I had requested that few items be in our room upon check-in & they were not, but were delivered several hours later... the location is fine but plan to walk if you're site seeing. The best part was Lukas at the bar. He was very kind and accommodating. Leigh was also very pleasant during wine hour. Lily was terribly rude ( breakfast server). We asked if we could substitute an item (same price) she said no because the prices were different when they certainly were not. She needs to be versed in the menu. Also she did not ask us for our drink order or bring us silverware. We will stay with kimpton again , just probably not this hotel. First impression is key & I felt they missed the bar..except for Lukas and Leigh, they were great.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear ricosmommy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Great feedback to share with the team to make sure our guests stays are amazing form the moment they arrive until the moment they checkout. I will most certainly share with our team here to make sure this happens. Thanks again and if your travels bring you back to the area please give us an opportunity to make your stay amazing.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is everything you'd expect from a Kimpton. The room was immaculate, the bed was incredibly comfortable and the room was well soundproofed. I could hear sound in the hall, but lot my room.
The bar staff is friendly and engaging, but know when to leave you to your book. There's a whole foods and plenty of restaurants in walking distance. Stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Greetings LivesInHotels365!

Thank you so much for spending time with us at the Hotel Rouge. I am so pleased to see that our team took such good care and that your stay was great! I will most certainly share your feedback with the team. Hope to see you very soon!

Best,

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I'm a huge fan of Kimpton hotels (check my previous reviews, I usually rave). This is not only a disappointment relative to the extremely high standards of the Kimpton chain, but an unpleasant hotel in general. I won't stay here again. I'm returning to D.C. in a few weeks and had two options on the Kimpton reservations site - this hotel or a Kimpton in Alexandria, and I chose the Alexandria Kimpton even though it puts me out of the District. It was that bad.

First, the good - the rooms are nice enough, the linens are very nice (a staple of the Kimpton line) and the pillows are top notch. The hotel is decently located, .6 miles from the Farragut West metro line and in accessible (though not easy) walking distance of all the major attractions in D.C. and most of the agencies. One or two of the staffers exhibit the welcoming friendliness that is a hallmark of Kimpton hotels (Lance and the guy whose nickname is a car are the two I remember).

The indifferent:

-A lot of the Kimpton chain have high quality coffee (and Keurig coffeemakers) available upon request in the rooms. Rouge has those crappy little sachet things that color the water brown, along with the little plastic packet of non-dairy creamer. Ick. All Kimptons provide hot drinks in the morning, this was my first Kimpton hotel that didn't provide tea as an option in the lobby.
-Many of the Kimpton hotels now have decent mugs and nice wine glasses - not at Rouge, you can expect a wine glass at the reception that is thick and clunky enough that it would probably bounce if you dropped it.

And the bad:

-Most of the staff are pretty unconnected and cool. I'm used to a friendly greeting when I come and go from Kimpton hotels - didn't get a single greeting from the front desk, who are right in front of the doors in my entire time there except when I checked out. Also, haven't ever stayed at a Kimpton hotel whose doorman didn't open the door. The doors at Rouge are a little difficult, and the doorman doesn't open them.
-The building is a bit tired on the guest floors - some flaking paint, hallways are kinda smelly, chips on the doors. My room was pretty dinged up, though clearly the cleaning staff tried to disguise it (moved a mirror to partially cover stuff on the wall, etc.)
-My room was at the far end of the floor - even so I could hear the elevators whoooshing up and down all night pretty audibly. I'm really glad I didn't get a room closer to the elevators.
-One morning I found a random drunk guy on my floor who was pretty obnoxious as I was trying to leave the hotel around 7:30 a.m. I was pretty sure he wasn't staying at the hotel. I told the front desk, they visibly shrugged.
-I called ahead for a taxi 5-10 minutes ahead every day. Each time the front desk said they'd have one waiting when I came down. Not once (out of 7 days) was there a taxi waiting for me, and not once did the bellman indicate he'd heard about my request.
-The elevators were the worst. I stayed a week and didn't ever wait for less than 3 minutes for an elevator, and three times waited ten minutes. Due to the layout of the hotel, the cleaning, maintenance and waitstaff all use the same two hotels that the guests do. During peak periods, it was particularly annoying to finally have an elevator door open only to discover one of the enormous white laundry tubs was entirely filling it...and I had to wait another five minutes for the next elevator.

All in all, wouldn't come back here again under any circumstances and wouldn't recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear BlueBear92,

Thank you for taking to time to give us your feedback. We will certainly use this information to move forward, become stronger and ensure our guest’s stays are wonderful. Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to the area. Feel free to contact me directly, I would like to personally ensure your future stays are amazing.

Lee Seiler
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Returned for a business trip was placed in a handicap room.
The room itself was lacking in any sort of appeal.
The bathroom wasn't very clean, the elevators falling apart.

I wasn't impressed with this stay at all.

I wanted to stay at the Palomar but they were sold out that weekend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Chris P,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. Great points to share with our team. Please keep us in mind when you are back in DC. We would love an opportunity to make your next visit spectacular. Feel free to contact me directly so I can ensure your stay is great!

Thanks again!

Lee Seiler
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

In town for a wedding and most guests stayed at the Rouge. Excellent hotel and location but the service is what stood out. Particular kudos to the bar/restaurant staff for catering to our every need. The red lobby and halls at first make you feel that you've stumbled into some sort of hipster palace but the staff couldn't do more to make our stay pleasant. The location is excellent with DuPont circle just a short walk away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello dang213!

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback in regards to your stay with us! It’s great to see your stay was a success and that our team took such good care of you. Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to DC!

Hartsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I attended a conference in DC a few weeks ago and decided not to stay at the conference hotel due to some experiences during my last stay that I do not want to mention in detail. I found the Rouge in walking distance to my conference hotel and decided to give it a try. I really enjoyed my stay and will be back for more. The problem is that Kimpton has quite a few options in DC and I am sure to try them all out.
I took advantage of the free one-night parking for my red car but had to miss the evening wine receptions due to other commitments. The staff was super friendly but the recommendation for a nearby dinner spot was a little off for my taste (sub par recommendation). Not a big deal. Loved the room design and setup. I think I had a separate couch in a pretty large room for one person. Bathroom was small but efficient. The only gripe I had was the elevator noise coming from a wall right behind the bathroom. Next time, I will make sure to double-check the distance to the elevators before taking my room key. I enjoyed their french toast for breakfast a little bit too much as I kept coming back every morning. I was concerned at first to read more about the 'extreme' (in a positive way) pet friendliness and was surprised to find the room was super clean and fresh. Keep in mind, I have two cats at home but I am not a fan of cat hair all over the place.
After Kimpton accepted my other hotel chain loyalty level match request, i will make sure stay here and at other Kimptons more often.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator. Do not expect a room with a view as there seems no view in this neighborhood...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer H, Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Greetings PhilAlexander!

Thank you so much for the kinds words regarding your stay. I am really happy to see that your stay with us a great! Please do visit us again soon and we hope to see you at wine hour!

Lee

Been to Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!