“Good value, comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast $1 More
Ranked #40 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bluemont, Virginia
“Good value, comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Received an excellent room rate when I booked through Priceline. Quiet, spacious room, comfortable beds. Valet was easy to use and staff were all extremely friendly. I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

1,095 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We recently stayed at the Rouge for three nights. We had two of our children with us and reserved a king room with a separate nook with two bunk beds. The layout of the room was great. The King bed was very comfortable and the kids loved the bunk room with the tv, video game player, and little refrigerator. Only two little complaints about the room. The bathroom is very small and the two lounge chairs in the room are the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat in. I am sure they were chosen for their design, but whoever chose them should have sat in them first. That having been said, we very much enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Rouge. The only other caveat is that the location is a little bit out of the way. Other hotels are better located.

Room Tip: The rooms with bunk nooks are great for families.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We came to this red hotel for Valentine's day (what could be more perfect?) and it was a very nice experience. The AAA rate was very reasonable and the hotel is located on 16th St NW, which is down the street from the White House. The rooms were clean and most importantly everything SMELLED clean. The sheets were changed daily (you'd be surprised how often some hotels just tuck them back in) and the decor was very nice. The room was spacious and it had a MODERN flatscreen tv that is big.

Free wine on tap 5-6 (we didn't go, since we don't like to mingle/network) but the pizza on Saturday and Sunday mornings is nice.

I would recommend this hotel for a younger crowd, it seems geared for young professionals or groups of friends coming out to have fun. It's a nice location across from the Australian embassy.

I would only complain about the lack of free wifi and the paid parking.

Room Tip: Use the AAA rating and get the King Deluxe room. If you can get up to the higher floors, even better...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This one is very red. But I like red. It has the Kimpton sense of humor. The goldfish at the front desk is named as a concierge. The continental buffet breakfast is priced better ($12) and included more goodies than most. The room is very comfortable. Shower excellent. Bathroom a bit small. Room could use a coffeemaker. Just know it is 4 blocks from either Farragut North or Dupont Circle subway stop-not right there. Two blocks from a nice block on P (between 14th and 15th) (this is at 16th and O) with Whole Foods and restaurants. A lovely lunge off the breafast room would be good to rent for cocktails or after-parties and lovely rest rooms off main lobby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel and employees were very sweet. I booked this room for Valentine's Day and in my request I asked for rose petals in the room. Although, they do not offer that 'type' of service due to damages that may be acquired to the sheets if the rose petals were accidentally washed in, they still put a dozen red roses in a vase and told us the roses were a gift and we could keep them along with the vase. The room was beautiful and sexy! The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept like a baby; no traffic noise or hall noise complaints. My husband and I enjoyed our stay and we'll definitely return!!!! Best hotel I've ever stayed in by far!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I didn't mean to click swimming to be terrible. Everything was excellent!!! Anyway, I chose th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am a huge fan of the Kimpton hotels, so I was happy to book a room at Hotel Rouge for a great winter rate (about 150/night with tax). I was in town on business for one night. Rouge was suitable but did not live up to the standard of other Kimpton hotels.

Pros: Service is excellent - everyone friendly and helpful. Great Kimpton perks for members (free wi fi, discounted parking for hybrids, ten dollar mini bar credit). Location is nice - not in the thick of things, but in a nice neighborhood surrounded by embassies and walking distance to metro stations. It was a nice morning, and took me about 15 minutes pleasant walk to the McPherson Square area. Complimentary coffee and tea to go. Room was large and clean. Nice little hotel bar.

Cons: The building just feels a little tired. The rooms and common areas feel a bit cheaply done. Room service wasn't great and was overpriced. I was satisfied for the price I paid (about 50% off regular rate, plus free parking). I would NOT have been happy if I paid 200+ for the room, plus 39/night parking.

I would stay again if in town for work on my own. I wouldn't stay here on vacation or a getaway with my husband. The area is lovely during the day, but it's primarily business/government buildings and so not good for walking to restaurants, bars, shops. For pleasure travel, stay in Dupont Circle or Georgetown. For work, this is fine - especially if you get a good rate.

Across the board, I am always impressed with customer service at Kimpton hotels. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in one of the other DC Kimptons, which are more expensive so probably more luxurious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
McFarland, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

On a recent business trip to DC I had the pleasure of staying at the Rouge in DC. I have to admit it took me a bit to get use the the Red everywhere, but the wonderful people who work there made up for that from the start. Chase was really great helping us find the place on the night of President Obama's inauguration and he made us feel right at home on check-in. We arrived late, they kept the bar and restaurant open and Charisma was a wonderful bartender and server-- after a long day traveling the food and drink hit the spot. Every night they have a wine reception and Lucas provided excellent service. Leigh was also very helpful at the front desk. Very nice location, ok fitness center. Good food at he restaurant. Excellent service from all the people who work there, housekeeping everyone. thanks

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!