“Great stay in DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #47 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lowell, MA
“Great stay in DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Rouge for 2 nights on a quick vaction to DC. The location of this hotel was great...located near Dupont Circle and a quick walk to the White House. The room was comfortable, and the red was a great theme, but tastefully done. The free wine at happy hour was great, as well as the food in the restaurant!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear hef1218. I love that we made your quick vacation to DC more enjoyable and memorable with our unique décor, great service and ambiance! Thank you for telling other travelers about your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The front desk was amazing. I was having trouble printing and they were so helpful and sweet. They were always ready to give directions, smile and help. The room was very large but I do have to say...red gets old.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear LizardAtlanta. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location, atmosphere and friendly, helpful service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Decent hotel in a fairly decent seemingly "out of the way" location -- a six block or so walk to the edges of Dupont Circle.

When you order ahead for a "feather free" room, which I did for my wife (and they confirmed it was non-feather when we arrive), you have a 50-50 chance that the pillows are indeed down feathers. As it was this cause. This can cause quite an inconvenience when you arrive later in the evening, and the housekeeping staff has gone, so the manager has to rifle around and figure out what a nonfeather pillow is.

Otherwise, great staff with a free wine hour. Continental breakfast (which we got comped because of the feather crisis) was rather ugh.

All in all, a good place to stay, though. Nice "rouge" read room with an overgrown mirror laying on the floor as decoration.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear hapgator. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I apologize that the room was not set up as feather free initially, a very rare mistake as many of our guests require this! We strive to be better than decent and look forward to your next visit where we will WOW you.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

very nicely renovated pre-war hotel, with large spacious rooms and beautifully decorated in nice kimpton style; minibar well-stocked (and $10 voucher a nice perk) and lots of outlets for charging gadgets. one big thing missing is coffe/tea kettle in rooms; served in lobby in morning, but would be so much handier to make your own any time you want. a bit of a walk from nearest train.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear slwjosh. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rogue’s great service, accommodations and location. We do offer coffee makers on request as well as offering complimentary coffee in the morning in the lobby. Thank you for telling other travelers about your good experience and the special perks with becoming a Kimpton InTouch memeber.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Loved this hotel. The rooms are very trendy and large. My kids loved the animal print robes, fish in the room and gift they received at check in. Beds were comfortable. Everything is very red - especially the hallways.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear jenba97. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that we helped to make your trip to DC more memorable!
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Rouge over the weekend. This is a very nice hotel.

PROs:
- We had a good-sized family suite (room 714) which featured a separate area for the kids. The kid's room had a bunk bed and an X-Box (games are available for free at the front desk). Our 2 boys were very excited about this.
- Simple modern decor was very nice.
- Quiet location
- There are a number of restaurants, coffee shops, and stores two blocks East on 14th street.

CONs:
- Parking is $39 a day, plus another $10 in taxes. That's $49 a day for parking. Way too expensive!
- Service in the bar was pretty slow, primarily due to it being understaffed. We ordered drinks Saturday night and waited about 20 or 30 minutes before we had to remind the bartender of our order.
- No fan in the bathroom made sharing the facilities unpleasant.
- I'm sure many people are happy that this is a dog friendly hotel, but it's not so fun when there is a dog fight in the lobby.

Overall we enjoy the Kimpton hotels and have stayed in 4 of them in DC. We will probably try another one when we return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear jwc3. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am glad that you found our bunk bed rooms comfortable and fun for the family. They are so popular I wish we had more! We strive to make traveling easy for families and I’m glad that it shows!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked through a group, so was able to get a really good rate. I really enjoyed my stay. It was centrally located so I had access to the Metro (Red, Orange and Blue Lines), and was in walking distance to many places that I needed to go. The room was clean, modern and very spacious. I am a Kimpton member so I received a $10 credit for the room bar which was nice. My only concern was upon checkin when the hotel charged my card $100 per night (x4) for possible incidentals. Also, the internet costs $7.99 for 15 minutes and a $15 fee is held on your credit card. I thought all that was a bit excessive. I had more charges being held on my card than the room was worth. Otherwise I would definitely stay there again. The staff was amazing and extremely accommodating. Two thumbs up! It was the perfect home away from home during my stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are nice and spacious