“Unexpected Delight” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotels.com Travelocity
Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast $1 More
Ranked #36 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Unexpected Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked through a group, so was able to get a really good rate. I really enjoyed my stay. It was centrally located so I had access to the Metro (Red, Orange and Blue Lines), and was in walking distance to many places that I needed to go. The room was clean, modern and very spacious. I am a Kimpton member so I received a $10 credit for the room bar which was nice. My only concern was upon checkin when the hotel charged my card $100 per night (x4) for possible incidentals. Also, the internet costs $7.99 for 15 minutes and a $15 fee is held on your credit card. I thought all that was a bit excessive. I had more charges being held on my card than the room was worth. Otherwise I would definitely stay there again. The staff was amazing and extremely accommodating. Two thumbs up! It was the perfect home away from home during my stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are nice and spacious
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Harlemstyle. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our service, location and unique decor! I am also pleased that you enjoyed the perks that come with being a Kimpton InTouch member including a $10 minibar credit and free internet! We do hold an amount on your credit card for incidentals, but whatever is not used is released at check out. Thanks!

1,035 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at the Rogue a few days ago. My room was fantastic- I stayed in an Executive King the room and its furnishings were outstanding. The staff was super accomodating as I checked in really early- something like 1230pm-. The hotel is on a quite street, which is great.

My only complaint was that the bar stools were very uncomfortable. They were the white half egg shell klind of seats. If the stools were more comfortable, I am sure I would have another scotch and a few beers, but instead I just went back to my room to crash out for the night.

Breakfast was great. I would suggest ordering from the menu. The French Toast was excellent! I would definately stay here over the Helix as the Helix is practically around the corner from The Rogue!

Excellent stay though!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear PhillyR. Thank you for being a fan of Hotel Rouge and Kimpton Hotels! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very pleasant hotel staff, nice rooms. I had a king size room in a corner at it was plenty big for one and also for two. Room 316 was wvwn bigger and had really nice windows and light.
Everything is very red so if you do not like that colour then stay away.
Its in walking disance from everything (if you lije to walk like a Scandinavian ;-) 1 km to the White House so perfect for the morning run.

Can only recommend this place. My only two regrets, they didnt reflll the body loting tubes and the breakfast was not included in the rate.

Room Tip: 316 and the rooms across from the elevator looked really big.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear tlha. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that we helped to make your trip to DC more memorable!
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Rouge. It was one of the two choicesfor accomodations for a "destination wedding". It is located in near the Dupont Circle area , within walking distance to the metro and many choices for dining. I "joined" the Kimpton Hotel guest program and upon arrival, I was not only greated by name, but I got a hand written note welcoming me to the hotel.
The staff was extremely accomodating for every little or big request . From the desk clerks to the house managers -they even remember where you go and they inquire if you had a good time on your return. The rooms are spacious, and beautifully decorated. (Although there is agreat deal of red in the decor throughout and the carpet pattern is a little dizzying late at night after a drink or two!)
The hotel has a small area in the lobby for coffee in the am served gratis or you can go into the bar for breakfast. The menu is pricey for what you get, but it is DC and convienient, although extremely slow service.
Also, parking is available, valet only and is also pricey.
My only real problem was driving in and finding the hotel. The entrance does not face the main street and the traffic circles in DC are notorious. All in all, we throughroughly enjoyed our stay and it was only a block from the wedding venue!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Rakdanit. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our great service, location and unique decor! I am also pleased that you enjoyed the perks that come with being a Kimpton InTouch member. We look forward to welcoming you back!
So Cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

First warning, this hotel is between two different metro stops so you’re going to taking a walk if you’re going to either one. It is right next to the Dupont Circle area and it was safe any hour of the day.

The hotel is really pretty, the décor is VERY red and the service was fantastic. What I would say I liked most about the hotel was the nice little touches in the rooms. My friend and I had arrived early and were lucky enough to have a room available. The room had animal print robes and an umbrella ready for us in the closet (with the safe) and I thought those were neat little personal touches. There was a mini-bar in the room and although I never used it, you could see some of the weird items inside (such as wax lips). The beds were comfy and the heater worked well. The hot water was quick and the water pressure was nice.

There is a free wine hour that we did not make but since we were there on the weekend, we made the pizza/bloody mary mix time. I love when hotels give free finger foods because I’m always snackish anyway.

The workout room needed air conditioning. There were two fans in there and it did not keep it cool enough. The workout room was in the basement and was open 24 hours a day. The machines were new and there was only one TV for the whole room but it didn’t bother me since I was the only one in there.

We had the cupcake trio from the hotel bar and it was delicious. The bar was cute and trendy and the décor matched the rest of the hotel.

I loved the area the hotel was in although I would like to stay closer to the metro stops in the future. Definitely recommend the hotel if you don’t mind a pretty, safe walk in D.C. to the metro.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear LilPiggyQT. We pride ourselves on a clean, comfortable and welcoming hotel with unique touches that make us stand out above the rest so we thank you for noticing!
Lakeville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our first experience staying at a Kimpton hotel. We chose the Rouge for its location, room size, and pet friendliness. The hotel met my expectations but did not exceed them as I often hope a hotel will do.

The check in was fast and efficient, the room was large and pretty quiet for being on the second floor overlooking a parking lot. The room was very clean and everything was in working order. I loved the dimmer light in the bathroom...could use it as a nightlight, but wish there were auxillary lights for putting on makeup. Bedding and toiletries were very nice. The continental breakfast was very good with great fruit, cereal, croissants and muffin selections. Coffee and tea were great.

There were only two things that disappointed me. The desk staff were rather cold and "functional". I expected the front desk personnel to be much more friendly and outgoing in a boutique hotel. They weren't overly busy but they seemed to do the bare minimum to answer your questions or make you feel at home. Some were nicer than others, but overall the staff should be trained in "hospitality". The second negative was the $39 per day valet only parking fees. This seems a bit excessive. I enjoyed the color and decor of the rooms, halls, and common areas as well as the eclectic music playing in the lobby. Overall, I would stay here again and recommend the hotel to friends, I just wish they could have friendlier, more helpful hospitality professionals at the front desk.

Room Tip: Look at the hotel layout on Room77.com. Pick a room away from the center of the building, that'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear WaTerBaBy58. I am so pleased that enjoyed our atmosphere and style and that you enjoyed the additional touches in the room! It is rare for us to hear that the staff was not overly friendly or helpful. Your review will be used as an example to continuously work on improving our service and guest experience.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I really liked this hotel. The only complaint from my husband was that there was no coffee making facilities in the room. We rectified that by buying an inexpensive coffee machine from the local CVS store. It was cheaper than having it delivered to the room.

The hotel is convenient for the White House and National Mall which are only a short walk away. It is also close to DuPont Circle, the vibrant gay district of DC.

We were there during superstorm Sammy and were grateful for the way that the hotel tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible while we were stuck inside. They gave us movies and wine! We had a an issue with water coming in the windows during the storm, but the staff were more than keen to sort that out.

This is a hotel which like to think of itself as cool, and it is, but they are also more than happy to cater to the normal traveller's needs (us). We are neither young nor fashionable but didn't feel at all out of place. We just enjoyed the comfortable room and the fact that housekeeping take a pride in their job. In fact the head housekeeper made a point of checking that we were happy with their service.

I would stay here again. For the price you won't find better. Make sure you join Kimoton in touch to get free wifi access though.

Room Tip: It is close to a busy road. A room on a high floor is best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear clare_r_uk. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms, great location and service! We do offer coffee makers in the room on request, so please be sure to ask if you prefer that to our complimentary morning coffee offered in the living room each morning. Thanks again!

Been to Rouge, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!