“Nice hotel & good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Washington

You added Park Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Washington
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 24th Street NW, (at the intersection of 24th & M Streets NW), Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #7 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands
“Nice hotel & good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We booked 2 rooms and prior to arrival we mailed ahead to make sure we would get connecting rooms. They replied within few hours this was arranged.
Upon checking we were given an higher category room which we appreciated very much as this additionally had a 'living room area'. Check in was efficient and friendly and we liked the looks and decoration from both hotel area's as well as rooms. The beds were phenomenal and the bathroom of our suite was with an exceptional large shower/bath in nice dark marble/stone.

The hotel is located in a nice area right between the major sightseeing and museums on one side and the nice shops around M street. Bikes were at hand at the doormen and we used them to cycle downtown to visit the white house, capitol etc. A typical way for a Dutchmen to go around.

Where there points of criticism, yes but few.

I found they had plenty of staff in the restaurant we used both for breakfast and dinner but it seems all a bit slow and inefficient though friendly. Hard to explain but you will notice what I mean.

What annoyed me is that I tried to make a reservation at the seaters for the next evening with a table outside I was told this was not possible, only inside as outside was done at a first come first serve base. I asked them I would feel this is inappropriate to guest staying in the hotel. Well, they did not care. I walked over to the reception and told them the story, added that I am, besides a hotel guest, a diamond member and expected something extra and that I had many options around. Here reply was forward, Sir, no need for all that, i agree with you as a in house guest and will arrange it. And so it happened. The restaurant said to be one of the better in town, it was good but not something I would call spectacular...

Anyhow, good hotel in a more quiet part of town with fine rooms.

Room Tip: Higher floors and better not facing M street at this is more busy road.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I stayed in the somewhat larger deluxe room category. I was very happy with the oversized desk in the middle of the room - perfect for working. Everything was comfortable and well-appointed. Large and well designed bathroom. Lobby area very pleasant. Nice, professional service. The hotel was very accommodating when I asked to switch a quieter room. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear AvidTraveler941,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to read how accommodating our staff was with your Premier Park Deluxe room switch. Their spacious size really makes for an enjoyable stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

A little bit pricy, but not bad for the location in DC. 5 blocks from a Metro station for easy transport. A courtesy car that will take you anywhere within 5 miles for only the cost of tipping the driver (WAY less than a cab!). Wonderful concierge service that will do anything from grab your sunglasses out of your car, bring you ice, or track down theatre tickets. Exceptionally professional staff from doormen to housekeeping to management. Overall very impressed with the room we stayed in (500-something square feet). Very clean and well kept, and a great stay overall. We will probably return.
The only complaint is that our room faced a back alley, and despite being on the 10th floor, it was VERY loud when they came to pick up the trash at 7 AM nearly every day.

Room Tip: Upgrade to something bigger than the base room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Brent C,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent visit. Despite the inconvenience of hearing noise in the back alley, it sounds like you had a very pleasant stay. What a delight to read how helpful our concierge was, honoring all of your requests, and then some! I will be certain to share your comments with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I had planned our week in Washington D.C. 4 months prior to our trip. This hotel was our first stay of our 7 day stay around Washington D.C. We got to the hotel very early on July 30th to check in - about 11:30 or noon. No problem - we could not check in and they held our luggage. The front desk lady said, "Are you part of the group of convention people who are checking in?" I said, "No, we are not." (Back to that later in my story.) Great, we will go explore the city. We left with the front desk saying "We will call you and let you know when your room is ready and it will be before 3 PM." My boyfriend was fighting the end of a cold and by about 2:00 he asked if the hotel called me. I said no and I shall call them back. I called and I got a cold "No your room is not ready." So we did a few more things and then started to make our way back to the hotel. It was then after 3 PM. Again, the front desk person said, "Sorry but your room still isn't ready." I then said, "Well I need a room and I need to speak with someone. It's past 3 PM and my boyfriend is not feeling well." Well out comes Gregorie Lantoin. Very polite and well mannered but he apologizes and says, "We are sorry but we had a group of convention people last minute "last night" book a lot of our rooms." I then said, "Well that is all good but I booked my room 3-4 months ago and it's past the check in time of 3 PM. I said, "I don't care if you put us in a smaller room or a larger room but we need a room." He politely smiled and we did get upgraded and finally got in our room.

I did go back and forth on this hotel and almost booked the Grand Hyatt which now I wish of would of done. I didn't like the fact that I planned this vacation down to a tee and now had to beg to get in my room. The room was nice and the bathroom was beautiful. The "Bergamote 22" shampoo, soap and lotion that was provided in our room was great. We stayed here 2 nights and then stayed at the Willard right by the White House for 2 nights. We ended our stay in Arlington, VA at the Le Meriden. This is my first time staying at a Park Hyatt and it may be my last.

I guess if I would of told the check in person I was part of the convention, I may have got my room quicker? I don't know but I've stayed in many hotels and it's the first time I ever had to do this.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MN_LADY_X,

Thank you for taking time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. While we strive to create a memorable experience for our guests, clearly this was not the case, and for that please accept our sincerest apologies. I have passed your comments along to our management team for further review, as perhaps this situation could have been handled better. We do hope that you consider to stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to make your second visit a much more pleasant one.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Park Hyatt is my favorite high-end hotel in DC. I have never been disappointed here. It is expensive (for me) but when the occasion warrants a splurge this should be it.

Rooms are beautiful, lovely linens, good art work in the rooms - throughout the whole hotel. Fun little amenities and turn down service. The staff is flawless.

Suite are spacious and well appointed. This would be a good place for family visits to the city - fourth of July, New Years Eve, Presidential Inauguration, anti-war demonstration, etc.

Just wish I could afford to stay here more...... sigh.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear cosmic_beancounter,

Thank you for selecting us as your favorite hotel in DC! Please be sure to visit the Offers page of our website to see which special promotions are being offered during visit to the nation's capital, as you will find a variety of perks for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Had an excellent 4 days here at the Park Hyatt; High quality service and excellent food; very professional and helpful staff offering high quality service. The hotel is modern and spacious and conveniently situated to all the major sites. It is only a 10 minute walk to Georgetown, its restaurants and beautiful streets. If walking is not your cup of tea, there are plenty of reasonably priced taxis always on hand. I would definitely return to this Hyatt again in the future.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Donald F,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us! It is great to read how much you enjoyed our hotel, including the service demonstrated by our team. I have already shared your comments with our team, who are most appreciative. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Planning/Booking
Now I’ve stayed at the PH before and it’s not my first choice in DC… I find the area quite sterile and much prefer to stay in Georgetown.. However, the PH offered me 1200 square feet (Ambassador suite) for the price of a standard room at the Four Seasons… so, in the end, it was an absolute no-brainer to pick the PH… After booking, my parents decided to join us as well so I ended up booking them a room via the Hyatt Free Time promotion- which gave them the third night free and breakfast each morning. I then reached out to the PH and was able to have their room connect to the Ambassador suite. So, in the end I was able to secure a two bedroom suite for the price of a Premier room at the FS (though FS later added a 3rd night free deal; however there wasn’t any availability the dates we traveled). Finally, because of the cold winter/spring the cherry blossoms ended up blooming later this year so that we were in town for almost peak blossom season- most of the other hotels were sold out at this time period…..

Arrival
Ahhh how easy it is to hope in the car and only have to make a 1.5 hour trip.. We left mid morning so missed traffic as well. Given that I wasn’t planning on using the car, I elected to find a self park close by for cheaper than the $45/day that the PH wanted for valet. I had used ParkingPanda last time and ended up parking at the Westin across the street. I turned to them again and secured parking for 3 days including tax for $67. Not too shabby. We arrived on foot/stroller therefore and entered through the main entrance. One thing to note is that the main entrance is not handicap/stroller friendly. So, it’s actually kind of a pain in that you have to go around to the side entrance. Given that it’s actually only like 3 steps from the main entrance down to the lobby, it would have been fairly easy to build a small ramp. We are able bodied, but if one wasn’t so mobile, it would definitely be a pain having to go around to the side entrance every time. We were met by doormen who helped us up the short flight with our stroller (Joovy Caboose for those of you who care). Proceeding to the front desk, I was informed our connecting room was available at that time (1130 AM) but not the suite. The front desk agent remarked that the Ambassador Suite was occupied but that the party was due to check out soon and that she would have them expedite the room turnover. She also took my cell phone number promising to call given that we planned to go out for lunch. She explained the Virtuoso benefits for the suite and went ahead and took off the 3rd night from the other room.

Location
The location is actually fairly sterile. It did, however grown on me. It’s about a 7-8 minute walk to the Foggy Bottom metro. In addition, there’s a Whole Foods located there too, which was helpful. It’s not a terrible walk to the heart of Georgetown or to Dupont Circle.. there are some fairly good restaurant options nearby. We ate at both Sushi Taro and Obelisk, both of which were excellent… One of my biggest complaints with this location is the proximity to GW means that there is a lot of ambulance noise, which can be quite annoying…

Room
The Ambassador suite is on the top level of the hotel. It’s a beautiful suite, with a large green apple, Bang and Olufsen stereo and a nice area with plates and flatware. It’s kind of like a railcar though. All the spaces are quite narrow. The bedroom and bathroom are spectacularly beautiful but to sum up my thoughts I though the room had some misses in my book. We ate a lot in the room, due to having both our kids with us and it’s almost criminal in such a suite to not have a dining table. The only real option is to eat around the absurdly long couch and the coffee tables. Not exactly ideal. I recall in the park executive suites that they do indeed have a proper table for dining with for four. Beautiful floors in the bathroom; but with a little water and the little slope down from the shower turns it into a slip and slide for the little ones (my daughter took a nasty tumble). I would also think that the elderly would be prone to problems as well. Things I like about the room include the absurdly long couch. My entire family (kids, parents and grandparents) was able to sit comfortably around it (though not ideal for eating). Nespresso machine is huge. Having plates and flatware was a big bonus. I do wish that the living room had blackout drapes as well. Both my son and daughter slept there and it wasn’t a great sleeping environment. Alternatively, a door between the bedroom and office would have made a good sleeping nook. The connecting Park Deluxe King was actually quite cozy. I was surprised at how small the room was. My guess would be somewhere around 300 square feet. The bathroom did not have a separate shower and bath not was it outfitted in limestone. It seems that for a room designed to connect with the Ambassador suite; it should have carried over the same design themes present in the suite (at least in my mind). The toiletries in the suite were Le Labo Santal 33 and Le Labo Bergamonte in the room. Wifi was free but slow (see my speedtest). ATT LTE was a much better option

Food and Beverage
We had breakfast each morning in the Blue Duck Tavern. The first morning we opted for the a la carte option. I’ve had the hash in the past and enjoyed it so tried it again and guess what? Thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife went with the crab omelet which was also a hit. The staff at breakfast were for the most part all excellent, very attentive to us and our children. However, the first day when I asked our waitress if they had a kids menu, she merely told me that they did kids portions at half price. So, we ordered off the menu for them. Only the next day did we find out that the kids could eat off the buffet at no additional cost. We went with the buffet option the next couple of mornings. Everything was of fairly high quality; however, nothing seemed to stand out as exceptional. All and all it’s a pretty solid breakfast but I don’t think I would be overly inclined to pay for it if it wasn’t included. We did opt for room service one night.. burgers all around and they were quite good; as well as the fries. I remember being disappointed with out last room service experience (but the bread was quite good) so that was a relief (though we did all opt for safe options).

[B]Pool[/B]
We hit the pool. Everyday. It’s a small saltwater job but for a 2 and 5 year old it’s perfect. In fact, if you ask them their favorite part of that vacation it’s not the air and space museum or the natural history museum. It’s the pool. So, I could probably have taken then to the Hunt Valley Embassy Suites and they would have been just as happy. But I digress. The pool was always fairly quiet. It’s a little convoluted to get to as it’s in another building but if you go down the long hallway on the second floor it’s possible to get their without going outside. The jetted hot tub was unfortunately broken and thus only a hot tub during our entire stay.

Very very hit or miss… Mostly miss I guess.. The doormen were always very helpful. The promised expedited room turnover and call were well executed- we received a call to stop by and pick up the additional keys about 2 PM. The side entrance was right by the concierge stand and one of the concierges would always go open the door when she saw us coming. In addition to the crib, they also provided a Park Hyatt Panda (which my daughter now loves) and a set of Bert’s Bees baby toiletries. I’m trying to think if there are anymore hits. My mom wasn’t feeling super great and finally I convinced her to go to the emergency room for more diagnostic testing (turns out she had pneumonia). The concierge gave a great recommendation to go to Sibley Hospital instead of George Washington Hospital (which is a matter of blocks away). However, I asked the front desk if the hotel car was available for transportation and the agent said yes. Gathering my mother from breakfast, we went outside only to find another guest getting into the hotel car. Apparently, there was some sort of miscommunication and the very nice Mercedes Benz was not available. Fortunately, the manager came out and offered to pay for a taxi to take my mother. So, the service recovery was seamless there. One of my biggest troubles was getting ice. I had injured my ankle earlier in the week playing ultimate Frisbee (at least trying to play) and needed to ice it every afternoon. Given that there aren’t any ice machines, I had to call down for ice. It usually took about 10-15 minutes, but one day it just didn’t come. By the time I was going to call again (around 6 PM- almost two hours later) housekeeping had come around for turndown and I was able to get ice from them. I understand at a certain level hotel that they don’t have ice machines, but for me it would be so much easier to just walk (or hobble) to the machine then to wait for someone to bring it to me. I much like the approach of some hotels where the ice bucket is always filled; having to call for ice is a gigantic pain (plus do I have to tip the guy/gal who brings me ice?). The plates/cups/silverware in our room was never consistently replaced. By the second day we were out of knives; on the third afternoon we had no coffee cups, no plates, no glasses and no silverware. I ended up having to call down to get everything replenished; but at least I made sure that they brought a bucket of ice with them. Finally, my parents room did not come with tea or a tea kettle but the instructions for the coffee machine state that complimentary teas and a tea kettle are available. So, I called down for them, asking for the complimentary tea. They asked what sort of tea I would like and I replied some sort of green or Japanese, which was brought fairly quickly. At checkout, however, there was a charge for $15.88. Inquiring further, it turned out that the tea request had somehow morphed into a request for room service tea. They did end up taking the charge off. In summary, I felt that for the most part the front of house did a reasonable job but that that didn’t filter all the way down through the rank and file.

Summary
I’m pretty sure in my last review I said something like I would pick the Four Seasons over the PH for a paid stay. The Park Hyatt however, offered me a lot more value than the Four Seasons. If it’s just my wife and I then yes we will probably go to the Four Seasons. However, with my kids and parents I was able to get a two bedroom suite for a steal. I would have paid more for two suites at the Embassy suites. I will, however, probably opt for a park executive suite next time. The Ambassador suite is beautiful but honestly not too functional. No dining table is a big turn off and the living area is quite narrow actual. The Foggy Bottom area has grown on me (due to proximity to Dupont and Georgetown) but the sirens are annoying (but not a dealbreaker). Food and beverage is solid and service is adequate. I don’t think Park Hyatt can compete with the Four Seasons but it’s definitely a strong option in DC.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Park Hyatt Washington? Share your experiences!