“Really an exceptional hotel in DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Washington

You added Park Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Washington
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 24th Street NW, (at the intersection of 24th & M Streets NW), Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #6 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
United States
“Really an exceptional hotel in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Now that I've stayed at the Park Hyatt about five times, I think it's time for a review. This hotel is consistently one of my favorites and is by far my favorite hotel in DC. I've tried the Willard, a couple of Ritz properties, and many other upscale chains. Nothing comes close to the Park Hyatt. It is unpretentious, modern, trendy (but not super hip like W Hotels try to be), and caters well to all ages. The staff is amazing, super-friendly, helpful, and professional. Even the smell is inviting. I think they pump some mild scent through the hotel.

The onsite restaurant, Blue Duck, is one of the best restaurants in the city. Make your reservations early. It is NOT your typical hotel restaurant. It would be a champion as an independent site in any city in the world. Be sure to try it. In the lounge are a small bar and the Tea Cellar, offering dozens of luxury teas, and kindly, free refills of water for multiple steeps. Compared to the $18 gin and tonic I had at the bar, the Tea Cellar seems like a bargain.

The rooms are larger than other upscale hotel rooms in DC and the bathrooms are beautiful. I also think the rooms have character with a split living room/bedroom concept and a modern style. Some on here have commented that the colors are bland, but I find the rooms peaceful. I like the unusual but perfectly adequate lighting, the colors, and the amenities. One important tip that will make the stay better: the super cool bathroom of the Premier Park Deluxe room (or better) is well worth the extra money. The large open marble shower/bath concept is awesome. I could stay in there all day.

There are only two negative things I can think of to write. First, prices for everything are ridiculous - even more ridiculous than most upscale hotels. Valet parking is $48 per night for example. That's unconscionable enough that I specifically don't use it and taxi to/from. Maybe that's what they're going for. Second: no spa. They have a "spa room" but that it is just a normal hotel room retrofitted with a massage table and some other spa items, but it is NOT a spa. Furthermore, massage prices in the lackluster spa room are, like everything there, stupid expensive. $175 for a 65 minute Swedish massage is the cheapest option. Maybe I'd pay that if it were a real serious spa and I could spend some quality time relaxing before and after.

As long as you know going into the stay that all of the hotel's services are very expensive, don't hesitate to book here if you can afford the room. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premier Park Deluxe for a GREAT bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear OU812Kiev,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your loyalty to Park Hyatt and value your comments and feeback on both the hotel and Blue Duck Tavern. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I've been here a dozen times. It's my first choice hotel in the DC area. Clean rooms, excellent restaurant, superb service, attentive staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Doc T,

Thank you for making Park Hyatt Washington your first choice in the nation's capital! We appreciate your patronage and enjoy your recommendations to others. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Checked into the Ambassador suite with the wife a few days ago. But well before then we had liased with the Chief Concierge, Shane regarding some basketball tickets and other things we wanted to see and do whilst in DC. - It was then we realized that this hotel was going to be good as Shane made it his personal mission to ensure everything was fastidiously arranged for us just the way we wanted including 2 courtside seats centre court for the Nicks v Wizards game at the right price, not the not looking after you very well price.

On check in we were whisked straight to our suite where some nice Red wine and fine cheese greeted us after a long flight. Check in was in the suite and easy.

The suite was lovely and the accommodation suites those who prefer modern or contemporary lodgings. A great rain forest shower with pads that massage your feet was a nice feature.
There are two large screen TV's in the suite and it has a study as well.
The Spa only has one treatment room, but we had a massage in our suite together instead so this is no big deal.
The front of house culture in this hotel is fantastic. Very proffessional crew who know the meaning of five star service. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor as the noise from the street is noticeable in this property.
Dear RelaxWithMax,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us at Park Hyatt Washington. We are delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit and how accommodating our employees were to you and your wife. Sounds like a great trip to DC! We hope to see you both again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed here on business recently and was very pleased with my stay.

When staying at a hotel, I look for cleanliness and service and this place has both. The rooms were clean, bed was incredibly comfortable and the service was outstanding. The convenient location is a bonus. I would definetely go back.

Try it! You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room away from elevators is best.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Dina M,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay with us at Park Hyatt Washington. We are happy to read that you had a wonderful experience. We value your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

The Park Hyatt in Washington D.C. is five star in every way!!! From the time, we entered the doors of the hotel, we were truly "cared for". Check in was quick and handled in the most professional of manners. The rooms are very special. The attention to detail and the decor were perfect. I am a person that judges a hotel by the bathroom amenities and this hotel "had it all". The soaps, the towels, the robes, the linens were all first rate. While the hotel was extremely busy, it did not feel that way once I entered the doors. I asked a staff member where the bathroom was in the lobby and they proceeded to escort me right to the door. Me and my husband felt that the staff was dedicated to making sure that our stay was nothing less than perfect. The staff even made an effort to learn our names and addressed us by such whenever we walked by. I am very fond of the location of this hotel. We walked to Georgetown and we were 10 minutes by cab to the major sightseeing attractions on the mall. This part of downtown is very upscale and being the foodies that we are, it was nice to have many restaurant experiences near the hotel. This is truly the place to stay in D.C. Cant wait to return.

Room Tip: This was our second stay at this hotel and we were in a different location in the hotel but both are...
Dear nurse0722,

Thank you for posting about your "amazing stay" at Park Hyatt Washington. We truly enjoy reading all of your comments and have already shared them with our team. Your feedback is very important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Overall this was a nice hotel.

Pros -

1. Good Location, close to Georgetown and the centre of DC. Both about a 15-20 min walk.
2. Service of staff, they could not do enough for you.
3. Blue Duck Tavern, we ate here and it was fantastic!! A must do, but book ahead.

Cons -

1. The rooms are Noisy!!!!! We heard everything in the room next door! The connecting doors are sooooo bloody thin! We had 2 guys talking really loud on the phone and could hear everything.
Apron checking out I said about the noise and the front desk guy said oh was that thru the connecting doors!
For a 5 star hotel you expect a bit more than this...
2. The rooms were a ok size but had a really terrible outlook into a back ally. I can see why they had the blinds closed when we walked in.
3. No free Wi-Fi. Seriously in this day and age why should you have to pay $10.95 for wifi per day!

So for a 5 star hotel I would probably not stay here again. It is a shame because I have stayed at other Hyatts before and been really h

• Stayed February 2012
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear Morry1234,

Thank you for your feedback. While we're glad to hear you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, I'm very concerned to read about your overall experience. We'd be happy to address your concerns further. If you don't mind, please send me your contact information at Renee.Sharrow@hyatt.com. I'd like to make sure that your next stay is a more pleasant one.

Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

The Park Hyatt Washington is a beautifully maintained property, however it was the exceptional staff that made our stay a 5-star experience. Absolutely every Park Hyatt employee was personable, professional, and accomodating. This was a get-away weekend for my husband and me. The Park Hyatt was a quieter location than directly downtown but still within walking distance to the National Geographic Museum and only a ten minute drive to an embassy series concert. Dinner at the Blue Duck Tavern was a bonus. Sitting by the kitchen may not be for everyone (you have other options) but we loved it! We will make a point to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Keyboardmusician,

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback about both our property and our staff. I am pleased to read such delightful comments and have already shared them with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Washington again soon.

Director of Public Relations

Been to Park Hyatt Washington? Share your experiences!