“Dirty Room, not worth a penny!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Shoreham Hotel

You added Omni Shoreham Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Shoreham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Calvert Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #23 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Dirty Room, not worth a penny!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

I booked a room to for my friend's bachelorette party, and I was disappointed from beginning to end. When I arrived, there was no bellman to help me with the 3 bags I had. I checked into my room and immediately noticed the HUGE stain on the carpet that looked atrocious! I walked across the room to see the view, and I stepped on something. I looked down on the floor, and I saw a ziploc bag of cookies that the previous guest had left and the housekeeping attendant didn't bother to pick up!! I called housekeeping and requested an extra ice bucket and 3 bathrobes since there were 3 of us. I received only two and no ice bucket and requested the attendant for the ice bucket and additional robe. He arrived with only the ice bucket and no third robe. How many times do I have to ask to get it clear?!? The room was dusty...dust on the TV and on the bureau under the mini-bar. At 10am on Sunday, there was knocking and drilling. The toilet stopped working and ran all night, and the bathroom door locked you in. Two housekeeping attendants came into our room WITHOUT knocking!!!!!!!!!!! I took a shower and noticed the mold/mildew in the tub. I also noticed the dirt around the basin. Upon check-out, I stated all of this to the front desk staff, and her excuse was "We're renovating" and there was NO APOLOGY! $129 for this room...that's unacceptable. $129 is not much for this room, but I later realized that I could have paid $189 for the Ritz-Carlton. I once stayed at a Super 8 on a cross-country trip for $50, and my room was cleaner than the Omni. I will NEVER stay at an Omni again! I travel a lot for pleasure...I've had better service at Hilton, Hyatt, Wyndam, Westin, Ritz, Four Seasons, etc.

• Liked — Proximity to Adams Morgan
  • Disliked — It was DIRTY!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
Alta Loma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

Had a Wonderful stay. Great Staff. Turn down service. Close to Metro. Very nice Neighborhood.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Closet
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

Lovely hotel, rooms are comfortable, location is great, but above all the service is wonderful! I was warmly greeted every time I saw a staff member, which was constantly. But what made it exceptional was that they all genuinely seemed glad to see me. I usually get the feeling from most hotel staff that I am bothering them when I ask for something; consequently, I'm more interested in room comfort but if you like service, this is it! Tip: Be sure to sign up for Select Guest before you arrive, it's your ticket to a better room and $3 room service breakfast every day! (Juice, coffee, newspaper, muffin/bagel, etc. left at your door at precisely the time you request.) Last, rooms are above average, comfy bed, individual temperature control, good amenities, deep bathtub!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reading, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

Stayed here for 1 night while taking in D.C.'s attractions for children - the Zoo and the Smithsonian's museums. Had 2 rooms , 1 for myself and and 2 children, the other for my parents. While I would have liked connecting rooms, our 2 rooms were across the hall from one another. Both rooms were oversized but bathrooms were small. Typical of an older, historic hotel. My room had a balcony which overlooked the pool area, very nice! My room also had a stained carpet and the TV cabinet had a large chunk of the veneer missing on the front doors. Seems like it's time for an updating. So good and bad....Overall, I was happy with our stay, service from the front desk to bellman was very friendly and welcoming. The room was VERY clean. Love the Select Guest freebies at all Omnis. Didn't eat at the hotel, ate across the street at Open City with indoor/outdoor seating, casual dining, good with/without kids, great for breakfast, too! Super easy walk to the Metro, 15 minute stroll to the Zoo (which is alot of walking once you get there!) Pool area was very nice, lots of seating, they had a small children's pool and a hot tub also. Would recommend this hotel to travelers! Haven't found an Omni that I don't like....

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Wytheville, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Omni Shoreham in Washington, DC, from August 2-4, 2007. I agree the hotel lobby and main restaurant are very pretty and clean. However, the negatives made my stay just very so-so. There was only ONE trashcan in the hotel room and it was very tiny. My friend stepped on two screws and some type of small razor blade that were in the carpet near her bed. The prices in DC are crazy, including at this hotel. Our Cheeseburger from the Lounge the first night was $15.00!!! And I ordered room service our last night due to craving chocolate ice cream. I got a tiny carton/cup of ice cream about 2 inches tall and 2 inches around for $8.00. I was so flabbergasted by the ridiculous amount that I took a picture of the tray! You also must pay for internet access at this hotel! I thought four star/diamond hotels were supposed to give superior and generous service. Not be stingy with every little thing!

• Liked — Lobby
  • Disliked — Prices!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

We arrived around 8 PM, and were told that our room was not ready, but would be ready by 9 at latest, so we took our kids, 5 & 7, swimming while waiting. By 9:30, still didn't have a room for us, finally gave us a King room with roll out twin for one kid, the other slept with us. Not a great start to our stay, but everything went well from there. Hotel is lovely, yes it's old and showing it's age, but I prefer an old hotel with history and character over a new "cookie cutter" style hotel. The grounds were fabulous, very pretty gardens, shaded tables with chairs, benches, and hammocks. It was like a lovely park within all the chaos of the city. Pool is only 3 ft deep, great for small children, useless for adults and teenagers. The location was perfect for us, we went to the zoo each morning by 7:30, then hopped on the metro to get to all the other attractions. There are tons of great restaurant options within a block or two of the hotel. We ate at Lebanese Taverna, and an Irish Pub for dinner, both were outstanding. We ate at Open City one night for dinner, and it was adequate, their breakfasts there were great, though. We also ate at International Cafe a couple mornings, they offer assorted bagels, breakfast sandwiches, danishes, etc. Pretty good, quick service, and right on the way to the zoo or metro. We would stay at this hotel again at the rate we received ($140 ) because of the great location, the room size, and the ambiance of the hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — check in
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

This was my first visit to the Omni Shoreham and I would definitely return. The rooms are very large, clean, and quiet. The bathroom, while not large, was comfortable with everything in good working order. We had a large walk-in closet which could have accommodated a large family's luggage. By joining the Omni's Select membership club (free) one receives not only free wireless internet access, but also free coffee, tea, and/or juice delivered daily. An additional charge of $2.50 is added for a bagel, muffin or toast (a much cheaper alternative to many similar hotels). The hotel is located in Woodley Park with several restaurants within a two block radius. A Metro stop is one block away. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our only negative while staying there was that the restaurant staff were inattentive and the food so-so. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Large, clean and quiet rooms
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Omni Shoreham Hotel? Share your experiences!