“Historic hotel in a beautiful park setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Shoreham Hotel

You added Omni Shoreham Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Shoreham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Calvert Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #27 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
San Diego, California
“Historic hotel in a beautiful park setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

The Omni Shoreham has its place in history and is located in a beautiful park setting with super close proximity to the red line metro.
It is easy walking distance to Georgetown and Adams Morgan areas.

We ended up reserving two double beds through Expedia since the hotel had no availability through its own booking agency. I think we must have been given the "cheap discount" room in the hotel - first floor over some loud ventilator that would make a bunch of noise and vibrate every time it turned on. It was a coin toss away from the elevator too and the walls were pretty thin indeed.

Also, it took us about three days and several requests before we could even brew coffee in the room with the provided coffee and maker. It took three coffee makers before we had one that was functioning properly. They did, however, bring us a small refrigerator upon request.

The rooms are spacious and everything seemed pretty clean. The beds are very comfortable but the sheets provided were too small and only covered the top third of the bed!?! I had to ask for a king sheet so I could sleep with the sheet covering all the way. I really don't know what was up with that. I've heard of that before in some nice hotels.

I liked the MP3 player line that is attached to the bedside clock radio so you can plug in your player and listen to your music in the room. They have a nice flat screen HDTV in the rooms. Provided bath products are good, yet the towels are a little scratchy.

The garden is gorgeous and manicured. The pool area is nice and the pool itself is quite big (long enough for laps even). The gym is really nice and you can get a comprehensive workout. They have nice machines, free weights and cardio equipment.

I wouldn't recommend any of the immediate restaurants located near the metro stop since they all seem like tourist traps and got mediocre reviews on Yelp. We did walk a little further over the Calvert Street bridge toward the east to a nice little restaurant called Mama Ayesha's. They serve middle eastern food and everything was good.

I'm glad I stayed here, just to be able to talk it up as being where the presidential inaugural balls have been held and where the Beatles stayed as well. It really is a beautiful hotel and the surroundings are so green and inviting. The running trail in Rock Creek Park is fantastic too. Great place to stay in DC for sure.

Make sure you sign up for their rewards program (for free) so you can get gratis wi-fi internet service in the rooms. Otherwise it's ten bucks a day. I think you get a welcome two bottles of water too. Woo hoo!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2010
It is a pleasure to hear that overall your stay at The Omni Shoreham Hotel went well. We apologize for the issues with the sheets and the coffee maker. This is certainly not the norm and we regret that these were the only downsides to your stay. We do appreciate you taking the time to write a review and we hope you will stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

"Wow" - that's what we said when we walked in the entrance for the first time last winter. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas and the holiday spirit of the staff was welcoming. Our room was above average - no negatives there. We enjoyed the flat screen TV and clean, spacious bathroom. But what really got us was the gym facilities - there was plenty of weights/equipment, each treadmill had it's own TV and the locker rooms were cleaner & roomier than most. Room service was not cheap, nor were the movie rentals but aside from that, it's worth every dollar. I enjoyed their food and bar - I would definitely go back, especially around Christmas.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for choosing to spend the holiday season at The Omni Shoreham Hotel. Over the years we've gotten more and more excited about bringing the holiday spirit to our lobby and our associates and we are delighted to see that reflected in your stay. We do appreciate your review and will look forward to welcoming you back!
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Stayed over Easter weekend to attend the Cherry Blossom Festival. The grounds are beautiful and back up to a national park area. Great location, about a block away from numerous restaurants (restaurants in the Omni are very pricey) and 2 blocks from the metro-line. The room I stayed in was at the end of the hallway, so it was very quiet, the beds are awesome (slept like a rock, which it not normal for me), My room had a small room attached, that had a closet and bathroom which was great for us since one person could shower and dress in privacy, while the other person could sleep undisturbed (the extra door between the bathroom and bedroom, kept bathroom noises out of the bedroom). Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Some minor problems: I did notice that a small area of ceiling had a different color the rest of the room and I had told the bellman about a foot stool in the room that had a broken leg when he brought my bags up but it was never replaced or repair during my 3 day visit. Also I was told by a Police Officer that the biggest issues they have at the Omni location is stolen luggage from out front of the entryway, where the bellmen leave it. So I would advise you to stay with your luggage until it is in the hotel (don’t get the wrong idea, Hotel is in a nice area and I never felt unsafe walking in the area)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Omni Shoreham. We are sorry that you did experience some minor problems during your stay and will share your feedback with our team because we are always looking for ways to improve. We must say we are surprised that an officer felt that stolen luggage might be an issue at our property. Our door staff is diligent about keeping a close watch on all luggage or keeping it locked up in our bell closet. In spite of these issues, it does sound as if overall you had a great experience at The Omni Shoreham and it would be a delight for us to welcome you back again soon.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

This hotel is so impressive on arrival. The grounds and lobby area are quite overwhelming. Our stay in ths hotel was for 4 nights but was too short. Did not have time to avail of the Pool area and fitness centre. Bedrooms are very spaceous, with all mod cons. Could not fault this hotel in any way. Great reataurant across the road, so busy you probably will have to queue event for breakfast, but worth the wait.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your compliments of The Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are so glad we could provide you with a flawless stay and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

An elegant hotel. A few steps to the Metro and bus stations. There's a CVS nearby and several restaurants. Very close to Adams Morgan. I was able to walk back and forth to the Cathedral. It was an awesome walk through a very fine neighborhood. It's in a quiet area.

The hotel staff were not exceptional. Nothing jumps out to describe the service I received.

What I like about Omni hotels are the free breakfast drinks. The room was just right in size. The bathroom, though, had no room for my toiletries. There was just the sink, nowhere to place my make-up, etc.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Omni Shoreham on TripAdvisor. We have to agree that the morning beverage service is one of the best perks of The Omni Select Guest program. All of your feedback is appreciated and helpful for us as we try and make improvements to our service. We do hope you will consider staying with us again during your next trip to Washington, DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

It's a very beautiful, historical hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. My room was a corner room overlooking Calvert St and Connecticut Ave, and high floor enough not to hear noize from the street. My room was pretty spacious, and despite some other's reviews stating the bathroom was so tiny, mine wasn't. It was quite good size, which made me very happy. I need space in the bathroom. A/C / heater was very loud that I couldn't fall asleep. I turned it off and used extra blanket which was in the closet and it was fine with me. I am a select guest member so internet is free to use and it was fast enough. I wish the desk space was lillte larger. There is a restaurant on site, but there are many many choices just outside the hotel. It's away from the DC downtown, but the metro station is almost in front of the hotel so I didn't mind. Nice hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
We thank you for taking the time to leave a complimentary review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return again soon!
N Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Spent a night on a Spring Break trip with my daughter at the Shoreham. Have stayed there twenty times over the last ten years. The rates were the best I have gotten there. As always, the Shoreham was elegant, prompt, friendly, comfortable and convenient. 1 block to the DC Metro Red Line, 5 blocks to the zoo. Nearby are every restaurant type you could want, and grocery, drug, fast food, liquor and wine stores.The best place to stay in DC!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
We are honored to be your top hotel choice in DC! Thank you for choosing to stay with us over the past 10 years and for reviewing your experiences. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon!