“silence in the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Shoreham Hotel

You added Omni Shoreham Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Shoreham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Calvert Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #25 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“silence in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

I travel often and was surprised to see as many managers as employees. Everytime I needed to find a housekeeper, a waiter, a bellman, or a concierge, I only could find a manager. This may sound like a good thing but I found it uncomfortable and I could sense that the staff felt the same way.

There was a line to check in and three people at the front desk however there were five managers that were standing in the lobby and a constant trail of other "suits" passing through. Perhaps they need to reconsider what the ratio should be of managers to staff especially from a guest's point of view.

The staff is especially helpful and perhaps that is because they feel that they are overwatched. We had an outstanding dinner and then breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. The young manager greeted us and spent some time telling us about the hotel and neighborhood and then showed us some of the ballrooms nearby. The manager at the front desk was a very sweet woman that clearly loves her job and had a very welcoming demeanor with us and the staff. It is refreshing to see people with a passion for service.

The rooms are well kept but in need of some major TLC in the near future. The view from the room was great and a welcome change from the K Street hotels. We will certainly consider staying here again if for nothing more than just sitting outside of the restaurant with a glass of wine and enjoying the rare silence in the city.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2006

This hotel has a glorious lobby it's very bright with high ceilings. The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. Make sure you log onto the hotels website before going to this hotel, because you can benefit from upgraded rooms, free hot/cold beverages in the morning and free newspapers - well worth it.

The room we had was situated in the Parkview building, a bit of a long track back to the lobby, therefore not ideal for people who cannot walk very far. The room we had was fine. It was spacious, clean and had coffee making facilities, free shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash and lotion. The mini bar was pricey, so buy soft drinks from the local supermarket 2 minutes from the hotel. One thing the hotel did which was a nice touch, was when we returned to our room late in the afternoon, our sheets were turned over with a chocolate placed on the pillow and the nice relaxing music playing ready for our return. Nice touch Omni!

The car parking is a bit pricey, but being in the city its what you would expect, If you have the valet service the price per day is $28. The price for normal parking is $25. Nice staff too.

The hotel is in a great location, the metro is 2mins away. There is numerous restaurants and a mcdonalds also very close to the hotel (literally around the corner).

The internet is pricey $15 per 15mins, this is situated in the lobby area opposite the checking in desk.

We asked how much it was to stay another night, they quoted us $300! for one night. I don't think so!

We would stay there again, although there are less expensive hotels in the area, that would be satisfactory.

All in all Omni Shoreham was pleasant and better than some of the reviews state. It's personal choice.

• Stayed May 2006
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

FIRST WARNING: They do not guarantee the room that you book.
We requested a non-smoking room with a king bed, but was put in a smoking room with two full size beds.
TWO: The front desk night staff can be slow, unprofessional and incompetent. Front desk staff called my room around midnight to check up on the room. I don't think this is appropriate. Try to limit your contact to the daytime staff.
THREE: Do NOT let them put you in the newer but worse-quality Parkview rooms. I felt like I was walking to the servants quarters. My bed sagged. They have the same mid-range Sealy posturepedic that most people would have thrown away 10 years ago. Worst part was the walls were paper thin. I am not joking. The person in the next room had a cold and it was like he was in bed with me. His hacking cough kept me up all night. The walls are so thin I could hear normal-voice conversations.

So we were moved the next day to a better room in the main part of the hotel (the type that we requested) and it was handled expeditiously by the front desk. The room was nice with a lovely view and a terrace. Only weird thing is the layout of the room, which put the tv in cabinet along the adjacent wall to the bed so you had to put your head where your feet were to watch it. Not a big complaint though.

Good things about this hotel: The LOCATION. You are right on Rock Creek Park so it's quiet and pretty around the hotel. The Woodley Park metro is just a couple minutes walk away. There is a CVS and several very good restaurants within a 5 minutes walk. The restaurants Open City for breakfast/brunch and Lebanese Taverna for dinner were wonderful. Also, the POOL is beautiful, well-maintained and clean. It's not very deep which was good because there's no diving or jumping. It was heated enough to swim comfortably on a below 80-degree day.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

My recent four-night stay offered me little chance to get away from the hotel. But few places could make such confinement seem so comfortable. My room was large and well-appointed: easy-to-understand thermostat controls, many lights, large closet, enormous king-sized bed. The maid service was excellent and unobtrusive. The elevators were prompt.

There's even a shop that sells apples, oranges and bananas. And all of the public rooms are spacious and elegant; particularly the main dining room, which even makes breakfast seem like an event of consequence. The gardens and terrace added an extra element of easy relaxation to a D.C. Spring.

As for other staff, they were quick, friendly and totally professional. When the valet said they'd have my car in five minutes, they meant FIVE MINUTES. (They even washed my car windows.)

It's easy for grand old hotels to take their grandeur way too seriously and end up being stuffy, pompous and forbidding. NOT SO the Shoreham. This is a well-run, smart, adult place that makes you feel welcome rather than always striving to make you feel important.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

We booked our room at the Omni through Priceline for $120. Which was a great deal considering how much they would have charged. I can't agree with much of the previous postings. Of course every traveler has their own taste. This is my perspective: the lobby is beautiful, very classy and decorated in a older style. The rooms vary in size as do the bathrooms (I asked to see another room). Everything in the room was old. Tile in the bathroom were falling apart and the wallpaper was pealing away. It was mostly cosmetic as I found the room to be clean overall. The sheets were incredibly coarse, I would estimate about 120 thread counts. I may just be use to my sheets at home, but at this hotel they felt like sandpaper. The bedspread definitely needed to be changed. It looked like it had been used for 5-10 years. On the underside of the bedspread we saw brown spots throughout. It's a bit disconcerting to see unidentifiable spots on bedding. In summary the rooms are old, some like it some don't, I don't.

Service - We reserved a shuttle service to the airport the night before with the concierge. We had a receipt confirming our reservation. The time for our shuttle service, there was no shuttle to be found. We were told not to worry by the doorman. 10min goes by we ask him to call, he does and tells us not to worry it will be by shortly, 20 minutes go by and we start to worry. The doorman tells me to go find the hotel concierge - to sum up a long story I was given the run around, one hotel employee tells me to go find the other, as I start getting angry at the situation one employees tells me that he's not the one to talk to because he didn't make the reservation and that was it, no more help. Anyways it was a terribly frustrating and unpleasant experience with no help from the Omni staff. We ended up taking a taxi service, without a minute to spare to catch our flight. It was incredible how rude and incompetent they were.

Conclusion: I would not recommend this hotel unless the price is right. The plus side is the location is great, incredible restaurants within a stones throw (Open City-great breakfast/lunch, Lebanese Taverne- a must try for dinner). The metro is literally a block and a half away.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

My wife and I booked the hotel via Priceline. The hotel is about 75 years old, and is elegant. The facilities have all been updated, and our room was quite large, as was the bathroom. The room was immaculate and well-maintained during our stay, and every single staff person we met - doormen, bellhops, front desk staff - were cheerful, courteous and helpful.

The hotel is well situated, about a 3 minute walk to the Metro and to about ten interesting and very good restaurants. (The hotel's restaurant was open for breakfast and lunch but closed for dinner.) The Adams-Morgan area is lively and fun, and if desired you can walk to the zoo in about 15".

We would stay here again if we returned to Washington.

• Stayed April 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

The Omni Shoreham is a truly classic 4-star hotel that is well run and maintained in the elegance it deserves.

Built in the 1930's, this grand hotel has since been renovated to modern standards while preserving its historic charm.

Located on a quiet side street just off Connecticut Avenue in Northwest Washington, the hotel has a large and maintained garden next to the Rock Creek Park and guests truly feel like they are in the country because of the views of trees and the non-existent traffic noise.

Restaurants, pubs, and small shops are nearby (avoid the evil vixen at Petit Plats though!) so there are plenty of dining options within walking distance.

The hotel's rooms and bathrooms are large, roomy, and well maintained and the service is exceptional.

We called for additional towels and they were delivered within seconds, and seconds after that a follow-up call was made to assure we were satisfied.

We called for a corkscrew (for grape juice of course) and it was cheerfully delivered to the room immediately and presented to us on a decorated plate.

The south-facing view of the room was beautiful, with nearby trees, some more distant buildings, and the Washington Monument in the background.

The Easter-weekend flowers were in full bloom in the garden and it was a challenge to not just stay on the hotel's grounds for the entire weekend.

Valet parking was cheerfully available and the return time for the car was less than five minutes - try that in Manhattan!

The only negatives were the constant door slamming and the lack of a refrigerator in the room. Until the world teaches courtesy to the barnyard rubes who relentlessly slam their doors maybe the maintenance team can install felt bumpers on the doors to deaden the noise.

The key-lock mini bar/cooler was a bit tacky and they really should have a small fridge in the room.

These small annoyances pale in comparison to the overall experience of staying at the Omni Shoreham and nobody should ever decline an opportunity to visit this grand and charming palace.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Omni Shoreham Hotel? Share your experiences!