“Decent choice in the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Shoreham Hotel

You added Omni Shoreham Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Shoreham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Calvert Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Decent choice in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

Have stayed here a few times and found it a pleasant hotel. Doesn't have the climb or Byzantine layout of the Marriott up the hill, and certainly better service than the "we don't have to care about you" Wardman Park. Once got a room that opened out to one of the few balconies, which was pretty nice. This time had a smaller but still nice room. Beds were in very good shape, bathroom what you would expect at this price point, and slightly better appointed. Easy access to the Metro, although would take a little work to get there from the airport, for someone unfamiliar with D.C. transit system.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a balcony, that's very nice, but there aren't many of those.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

This hotel was, at one time, "the" place to stay in D.C. It still retains some of the early elegance ( the dining room is lovely) but the upgrades to the rooms are nothing more than ordinary and the bathrooms are only just acceptable. The food in the dining room was very good and eating outside on the balcony was lovely. The food at the pool, on the other hand, was dreadful and overpriced!
The metro stop was not too far away but the hotel is certainly removed from D.C.'s attractions.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Murcia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The hotel has a reputation for being a place where many important people have stayed

and many events taken place in the past. I would not say the hotel is a bad place to stay but I

would not come back now that i know it. Its location is not the best in the city if you want

to visit the monuments and go out at night. Our room, I cannot tell if all the rooms in

the hotel are the same, was old, not only because it had and old style decoration but

because it smelled old and you could see the many coats of paint that the doors

had. The bathtub wasn´t confortable at all. I am not sure but the only way to get wifi was

using the loby"s wifi as the one for guests seemed to have a cost which I cannot accept

in a hotel of this type. The last day of our stay we had to wait for fifteen minutes for the

lift to be available as there were only two for the size of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the newest possible room in case they have a renovated area which I dont know.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I am here for convention and they only have valet parking. ...surprised by authorized and check in was quick & painless. Handicap room with view & balcony. Very busy area with many many restaurants to pick from of all culture.

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The Omni Shoreham was a wonderful hotel with great amenities and rooms. The service was impeccable, and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. The furnishings and accents were stunning and the historical factor also not lost on me. Many famous folks have stayed there, whether from the entertainment realm or the political realm (it is in D.C. after all). The staff was pleasant and professional, and they worked hard to satisfy their guests and seemed to take great pride in what they did.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Boston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

if you are looking for a hotel away from the concrete of downtown DC, but still conveniently located by Metro. This is it. Pool and gardens (with hammocks) are very good. Located blocks from the Zoo, the whole area surrounding the hotel is green with vegetation. The hotel itself is an older building with character and updated rooms---the rooms I've had here have had much more space than comparable downtown hotels; doesn't feel cramped. Staff is friendly and competent. Beds are very comfortable. If you get a special package or price break, it is a deal.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

My family stayed at this hotel for our summer vacation. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the Mall area. We stayed a total of 9 days, and the experience was less than we had anticipated. Part of the reason we chose this hotel was we had stayed at the Omni Philadelphia and had a wonderful stay so we thought this would be the case for the Omni Shoreham. Boy were we wrong!
The first 2 nights we stayed in a large room and it was nice . At check in they had all of our information correct and breakfast coupon, internet codes, etc. ready for us. That check in process was very smooth. The room was quiet, the room service was okay, and overall it was a good stay. The third day we switched our room to a one bedroom suite. The reservation for this room was made 7 months in advance, and we requested a room with a view of the park. First, our room wasn't ready, so we had to check out of our first room, store our baggage and then come back after 3pm to check in. Okay, a bit of an inconvenience, but we did it. After 3 we went to check in and that process was awful. The girl didn't have our breakfast coupons, or internet codes, and was put off by the fact that I had a service dog with me. We did get our room, and it was the one bedroom suite with a roll away for our daughter. So far so good. But then the room overlooked the front area where all the taxis and buses arrive. When I asked about the room with a view, I was told the hotel was full and they couldn't do anything about it. Next the air conditioning unit in the living area was very loud. So you either had to leave it on and freeze or turn it off (because of the noise) and have be sweltering hot. I called and asked for maintenance to look at it. They came the next day, and did nothing. We were told to leave it running, put up with the noise, and they would replace the unit after we checked out. Not good! Next problem was the laundry service. We sent our laundry down before 8am and it was to be returned by 6pm. My daughter really needed the clean clothes but they didn't return them by 6pm. At 6:30 I called the desk and was told that they were "on there way up" . At 7:30pm still no clothes so I called down and spoke to the manager and she told me the driver forgot some of the clothes and he was on his way to retrieve them. I have NEVER had this much trouble with simple laundry requests. Finally did get the clothes, but too late to make our dinner plans.
This hotel is very large and some kind of conference or meeting was always going on. This makes for lots of extra people in the hotel and the elevators. One night the President and Vice President were both speaking at a meeting. Secret service was all over the place. And let me add, the police and Secret Service dogs were badly behaved, one dog tried to challenge my service dog, making it a bit unnerving to try and come and go from the hotel. It would have been nice if the hotel had advised us of the amount of meetings they host. It would have impacted our hotel choice. Please keep in mind that we were not with a group or wedding. Those people were raving about how great the service was and what a nice hotel. We kept staring at them in disbelief, because our service had not been that good. From lack of service in the breakfast room, to the front desk, to the bellman, and cleaning staff, we seemed to be at the bottom of everyone's priority list.
And second side note, the bellman gave us all kinds of grief because we bypassed the hotel recommended taxis and used Uber. One bellman told me that I should watch myself as Uber was not the way to go and I might get hurt if I use them. What??? Where is it his business to say anything about my transportation choice?
We were very disappointed in this hotel and the service, even though we tried to address our concerns with management, management was not that interested in resolving our issues. Their attitude was, oh well, and because we were there for a week, and the hotel was full, we were stuck.
I wouldn't stay here again, nor would I recommend it. While the hotel is on beautiful grounds and has a great location, the service is up to the standard of the Omni chain of hotels

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Omni Shoreham Hotel? Share your experiences!