“Not quite an Omni” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Shoreham Hotel

Save Saved
You added Omni Shoreham Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Shoreham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Calvert Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #15 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Orlando
“Not quite an Omni”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I attended a large multiday convention here and came away surprised at the marginal quality of the service. At breakfast: "there's no more coffee-- you have to go to your session." At a scheduled 30 minute coffee break, they ran out of coffee cups after 15 minutes and couldn't supply any until after the break was over. I was repeatedly jostled and even pushed by wait staff during a banquet, where tables were unnecessarily crowded together despite having plenty of room for the tables to have been spread out. The audiovisual support was quite amateurish: almost every session was marred by too-loud, too-soft, or screeching mics, or distracting video problems. On the plus side: the hotel is historic and looks great and is nicely located close to the Woodley Park Metro station (although be forewarned that the Metro is falling apart and is subject to frequent delays and breakdowns).

• Stayed March 2013

2,828 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

You sign up for their rewards program. I did last visit and this visit got upgraded to a suite, free bottles of water, and complimentary morning beverage delivered to my room!

The hotel is lovely--great public areas, spacious guest rooms, convenient location (restaurants, zoo, metro, etc.), well equipped workout room, and good food. Staff is friendly and gracious, inquires about your stay, etc. (I've been here for meetings near Christmas, too, and the lobby is decorated with great trees that are donated for charity ... nice!)

One of my favorite DC conference hotels!

Room Tip: Like I said, join the rewards program--you may be upgraded.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Historic, upscale hotel near the zoo, restaurants and metro. The room was just as pictured on the website, in excellent condition, spacious, quiet and with a nice view of the pool area. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The public areas were gorgeous. I was marathon training while there, and found a beautiful running trail adjacent to the hotel that went behind the zoo, along the river, to the National Mall (3 miles one way from hotel to Lincoln Memorial). Hundreds of runners were using the trail on a Saturday morning, so I felt quite safe. We did not eat in the hotel, however, there is a fabulous restaurant for breakfast, lunch across the street that should not be missed. Will definitely use this hotel again next visit to DC.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room away from elevators. They gave us a room on the 5th floor overlooking the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are glad you experienced everything you were expecting and more during your stay at the Omni Shoreham. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and we hope you return soon!
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Historic hotel which was a playground for Entertainers and Presidents. 2nd time I've stayed here and the standards have been maintained. Beautiful decor in public areas. Large spacious, quiet room - essential for a good rest. Rooms serviced regularly and on time. Toiletries fully replenished daily. Clean bath and fairly good shower with warm water. Just don't leave your bath till too late if there's a big conference in town as the warm water will run low. Elevators a little slow but acceptable for this well-maintained and historic property. Great hotel for a conference. Metro is just across the road, so is a street of restaurants. There is a McDonald's nearby too - just in case. Trolley stop for City Tour trolley is also just across the road. Washington DC Zoo is nearby. Great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. West Wing quieter as it overlooks Rock Creek Park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your conference at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. Thank you for taking a moment of your day to review us and we look forward to your next visit!
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Omni Shoreham is a very upscale hotel with lots of character. It has nice size clean rooms, a very friendly staff, very easy access to public transportation, and good eats in the area (including Indian, Mediterranean, Chinese, and excellent Afghanistan cuisine). The spa is very clean with an attendant on duty during the day constantly cleaning machines and keeping a good supply of towels and drinks on hand. I found the staff to be mostly helpful when approached with requests. The restaurant at the hotel serves up good, healthy food with top notch service. There were two experiences that really stand out in my mind. On one occasion, I saw one of the room cleaning staff walking down the hall with a couple of pieces of fruit (an orange and a Granny Smith apple). The apple looked delicious so I asked her where she got it, and she responded by insisting that I take it and she would get another one. I later saw, unbeknownst to me at the time, that the apple came from a kiosk downstairs and they were charging guests for them. Her English may have been limited, but her kindness was boundless. Secondly, the bellman upon check-in and check-out was extremely friendly. When I placed my luggage with him waiting for transportation back to the airport, he offered to store my top hat as well. Having both of his hands occupied with my luggage, I placed the hat on his head and he smiled broadly, laughing when I told him he should get a similar hat as it looked great on his head. It was clear that this gentleman was not being nice as part of the job, but genuinely enjoyed being of service to his customers. Of course, I made sure to generously tip him upon arrival and departure. Overall, it was a very nice experience at the Omni Shoreham.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
We truly enjoyed reading about your experience at the Omni Shoreham, especially regarding your interactions with our associates. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words and we hope you return soon!
Sheffield, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here last year for four nights. We were given a room in the Park View extension, not part of the original hotel, and we had a view of a couple of trees rather than the park. The room was nice with twin double beds and a lovely bathroom. The staff all seemed very pleasant, but apart from one drink in the bar, we didn't eat or drink at the hotel, too much to do elsewhere!
The hotel is close to the metro, and the surrounding area is nice too, we recommend the Open City diner close by for breakfast and dinner, and we headed in to Dupont Circle a couple of times.
We used the pool a few times which was lovely and relaxing.
If/when we come back to this hotel, I would definitely like to explore the park, and some of the other neigbourhoods in DC.
My only slight gripe about the hotel was that it was very busy with conferences, and at times the lobby was over run with delgegates, but as I say, a relatively minor thing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed exploring our city. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon!
Houma, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for business since 2005. It is one of my favorite Omni Hotel properties. The minute I arrive I am greeted by name and many welcome backs from the staff.They make me me like this is my home away from home. The accomodations are perfect and the grounds are very beautiful. The food is very tasty in Robert's Restaurant. It is a great location and walking distance from the Zoo as well. I am looking forward to another great stay in May 2013.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are thrilled to be your home away from home in Washington, DC. Thank you for sharing your compliments of our staff, our hotel, and our restaurant. We look forward to having you back in May!

Been to Omni Shoreham Hotel? Share your experiences!