“Friendliest hotel I've ever been in and I'm from Ireland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Normandy Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Normandy Hotel to your Saves list
The Normandy Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2118 Wyoming Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #61 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Armagh N Ireland
“Friendliest hotel I've ever been in and I'm from Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

This is a lovely hotel. Close walk to Dupont Circle and all the great restaurants. I used the Diner on 18 St for breakfast. Staff uber friendly. When I was confirming my booking I asked for good weather and cold beer. Lo and behold when my wife and I arrived in the room there were two beers on ice and a lovely note. Thank you Normandy Hotel I cannot commend you enough. We will return

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the The Normandy Hotel near the end of June 2014. It is nestled in amongst the beautiful old homes and small luxury apartments in the Kalorama area of Washington part of the Embassy Row District. This is a safe and walkable part of the city with restaurants close by. We would walk to the DuPont Circle where you catch the Metro subway to the National Mall and Capital Hill. The staff at the Normandy were very friendly, welcoming and helpful- all of them. We especially want to single out Maurice who checked us in. He was so welcoming and engaging and we got chatting about this trip being my birthday present to my husband. Maurice upgraded us and gave us complimentary breakfasts. He recommended some local restaurants, showed us how to walk to U street and the Black Civil War Museum. Our room was clean, had been recently updated with a luxury washroom. The bed was very comfortable, the room quiet. Our safe had been closed so that we could not access it and immediately the maintenance staff came up and opened it for us. We participated in one of the hotel's late afternoon wine and nibbles sessions which are offered free and are a nice touch. The price on the weekend was very reasonable, just note that if you have a car you do have to pay for parking which is costly but we parked our car and did not use it again until we left. Also driving out of the city from the Normandy was easy as we went straight up Connecticut Ave. until we hit the beltway and then the expressway out of town. Again The Normandy is a charming smaller hotel that made you feel part of Washington with their friendly service. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room which looked out the back. Not a great view but it was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
WIRRAL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were a group of 5 from UK.
This is a boutique hotel in the embassy area , ten minutes walk up from Dupont Circle.
We loved the place. After a day's sightseeing in the heat it was great to come back for the complimentary wine between 5 and 6pm. Plenty of comfy couches to rest.
Buses around the corner take you to the main sights near the river (L1 /L2 routes)
Walk down past the Churchill Hotel for the bus to Metro Centre to access anywhere in DC.
Great restaurants within 5 minutes walk. Went to Bistro du Coin twice. Other Bistro not as good
Good continental breakfast for $12 plus tax.
Very helpful and pleasant staff. Nothing too much trouble.
You can catch a coach to New York with Best Bus at Dupont Circle. Takes 5 hours with traffic but drops you near Times Square at 42nd Street. Saves all the transfer issues to airports and train stations $30
Would definitely go back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Normandy Hotel has newly renovated rooms, convenient location, great value for the dollar. The staff was friendly, helpful, courteous and make you feel like guests not numbers.Our staying at the Normandy hotel was a pleasure!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
George O, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Kathleen v, Thank you for staying with us and for such a great review. We hope that we exceeded your expectations. We'd also like to thank you for the kind words about our staff. We certainly hope that the next time you visit DC, you choose to stay with us again.
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After traveling for 12 hours from Glasgow to DC via Philadelphia The Normandy was a welcome retreat. Found in a quiet residential street, it was freshly decorated, clean, and in a great location fior sightseeing. Beds were very comfy and staff were informative and helpful. Couldn't have asked for better for our first two nights.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear deewol, Thank you for your review of The Normandy. We were very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us were able to relax after such a long trip. We were also pleased to read that you enjoyed our beds and found the staff helpful. We hope that the next time you travel through Washington, you choose to stay with us again.
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Have stayed at this lovely property twice in the last year. I enjoy the appearance of the hotel and the location is perfect for me. It is within walking distance of the Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle neighborhoods of D C which I love. I also enjoy the small, boutique-like atmosphere of the hotel. IT is beautifully furnished in the public areas and I liked the appointments in my room.
The first time I stayed I would have graded the hotel as "Excellent". The reason for lowering my review at this time is my dissatisfaction with the breakfast and the wine hour. The guest is charged for breakfast and I am fine with that. However, on my last stay, two of the four mornings the selections were meager and food ran out early. The wine hour is free to guests and, on my first stay, the wine was adequate in quality and quantity and the appetizers were pleasant and in sufficient quantity. During my last stay, two of the four evenings we had to ask for wine. One time, nothing had been put out at all by the appointed time. On the second occasion, red wine was provided but not white. The staff responded and supplied the white wine but guests should not have to ask. (Several guests were requesting white wine.) The appetizers on the same two occasions were quite meager.
I suggest the hotel either improve the food and drink offerings and insure their consistency - both at breakfast and during the wine hour - or eliminate this as an amenity. (I would much prefer the former!!). That said, the service otherwise was very pleasant and accommodating. I loved my room which was small but lovely. My friends stayed at the hotel on another date and complained their room was so small there was not much room for anything but the furniture. I suggest you clarify the kind of room you are getting when you make a reservation. I will stay again for two reasons: it is in the area I want and my experience was so good the first time.

Room Tip: Clarify the size and ask if you will face the street (a nice view but lots of noise from nearby stre...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Georgia M, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We were very glad to read that you enjoy staying with us. We do want to apologize for your last stay with us and the fact we ran low on breakfast items and wine hour supplies. Sometimes our vendors can be a little slow with their deliveries. We are in the process of changing the menu and vendors. We hope to have this completed in the next 30 days. We appreciate that you continue to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were completely satisfied and even surprised with the great services in The Normandy Hotel. The hotel interior and the rooms are stylish and cozy. One has the feeling that the hotel is somewhat under ranked with the 3 stars, it rather seems to be a 4 star boutique hotel (e.g. branded French toiletries). The staff was very friendly and helpful all the time, they always seemed to care and enjoyed having small talks with guests. As the computer in the lobby was rather slow, the receptionist invited me to use his computer on the desk to print out boarding passes. The hotel organizes late afternoon wine and cheese tasting with fresh lemonade and the best cookies in DC. You shouldn’t miss it! The location is somewhat distant from the subways, approximately 15 minutes walk (DuPont circle station). The walk is in a pleasant and safe neighborhood with restaurants and shops, so we did not mind it. We did walk once to the White House which would take approx. 30 minutes.

The Normandy Hotel is one of my best hotel experiences in the US. Congratulations and lots of success!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gege004, We truly appreciate that you took the time to write a review of our hotel. We were very pleased to read that you had such a great stay and were able to take advantage of some of our amenities like wine hour and the daily fresh baked cookies. We truly hope that the next time your travels bring you through the DC area, you choose to stay at The Normandy.
General manager
Then Normandy Hotel

Been to The Normandy Hotel? Share your experiences!