“Normandy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Normandy Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Normandy Hotel to your Saves list
The Normandy Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2118 Wyoming Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #56 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Normandy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

we stayed there the week after the cherry blossom festival. The Staff is great attended to all our needs when asked . Polite and courteous even during the heavy rains. Was helpful in setting off on our great adventure in to the lower DC area. It was a plus to know they had underground parking so we didn't have to leave the car out on the road.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We spent 5 nights at the Normandy in early April. First of all, it's in a wonderful residential area with beautiful homes (many are embassies), flowering trees, and about a 10 minute walk down to Dupont Circle and the metro. We loved the boutique feel of the hotel. Yes, the rooms are "smaller" than what you find in the big chains, but we didn't want a big chain hotel. It very much reminded us of the room that we stayed in in France but with nicer bathrooms. Toile fabric covered walls, comfortable bed, Nespresso machine in the room. The Wi-fi was recently upgraded and worked quite well. The staff was excellent throughout our stay. As others have mentioned, the hotel is "all or nothing" when it comes to heat vs AC. We were there when the weather was transitioning so it was a bit warm at night. No problem, crack the window and it was fine. Except, the building next door had already shifted to it's AC unit which was very noisy so we had to close the window. Not a big problem. We did have a problem with the room across the hall: rented out to a bunch of college age guys who were pretty loud with a lot of door slamming. Friday night, we called management early who helped keep the noise down. Saturday night, back at it again but the worst of the noise came at 4:00 AM. The only other problem was that they were having elevator problems which necessitated having to use the stairs. Front desk came up and helped us down with our luggage at checkout. One person was stuck in there for 30 minutes. I'm certain that they will get it repaired. Maurice and Gary at the front desk were particularly helpful. We certainly will make this our "go to" place when we come back to DC.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hackensack, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I had the most terrible experience at the Normandy !
I used Expedia to book the hotel at a non modifiable non refundable rate. I arrived before check-in time and they had no room ready. No problem, I gave them all my information, I left my luggage with the concierge and I mentionned that I will only come back late at night after dinner. I came back at 11pm, went to the front desk to get my room key, and the person told me they are full and there are no more room for me, that they will send me in another hotel in a completely different neigborhood !!! How about that ??? So when you make a non refundable reservation, it seems that only the guest is commited to the reservation but the hotel can do whatever they want. I stood there for more than one hour saying that this behavior was unacceptable, and she kept saying that there were no room for me, that she could not invent one blablablabla. After one hour making a scandal, she magically found a room for me... So in addition of being completely unprofessionnal, they were also lying !! Were they hopping to get the room to someone who would pay more for it ? Anyway, the only compensation that I got was a $12 value breakfast... Will never go back there !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
New Berlin, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed at the Normandy for the Cherry Blossom festival and this was my first time trying a "Boutique" hotel. I found the staff to be exceptionally attentive. One night we arrived after their complimentary wine offer had ended, but we had such a long day that they gave us and another couple wine anyway and included cheese and crackers! All the staff was engaging and often provided new ideas for us to try and just made the stay at this hotel very enjoyable.

Rooms were clean albeit small...but the size was typical of these hotels I was told.

The location was just a few steps from Connecticut Ave which boasted tons of restaurants. We used the Metro and took the staff's advice to get on the Metro at Dupont Circle, but off at the next stop, Woodley Park. The reason is that the Normandy is on a hill about half way between these two stops. So, when we got off, we walked downhill to the hotel and when we got on we walked downhill to Dupont Circle.

Normandy offer's Wi-Fi but I did not see an exercise room. However, given the amount of walking we did during our stay, that was not necessary. The room we stayed in did not have dressers so we kept our clothes in our suitcases. The maids did not refresh our bathroom supplies daily, but provided new soap and shampoo on request.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
George O, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Wisconsin_Cruiser_53, Thank you for your review of our hotel. We were very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and were thrilled that you found the staff engaging and attentive. With regards to your comment about an exercise room, we do not have one in the building but we have recently partnered with Mint, which is a lovely spa and fitness center located just a few blocks away. It's complimentary for all of our hotel guests. We hope that on your next visit to DC, you choose The Normandy and have a chance to try Mint.
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I liked the Normandy Hotel. It is in a good location, quiet and yet convenient for the restaurants and bars near Dupont Circle. The beds were very comfortable indeed and the front desk staff were, without exception, helpful. It was largely ideal to return here after four days of exploring D.C and its surrounding areas (don't miss Georgetown, merely a healthy stroll away!).

The rooms could be annoying, though. Lighting was fiddly and irritating. A lamp which I found easy to use for the first two days became impossible for the second two. As other reviewers have said there was inadequate hanging space and I had to keep the blinds down constantly to prevent being looked-in upon from closely neighbouring windows. My brother and his wife staying in an adjacent room found it to be too hot whereas I was comfortable. They liked their shower whereas mine was tricky to use.

We decided to try out the breakfast one morning but it was so inadequate for the price that we didn't bother after a quick look.

Steps down from the pavement revealed broken tiles and it was much safer to use the ramp.

So, Normandy, you have a good property in a comfortable and safe location. But don't try to be too gimmicky with things like the lighting. Concentrate on improving the basics and offer a better breakfast for the price. Your staff are gems so don't try and change any of them.

I would stay here again even without the changes that are necessary. Mainly because of the staff, the quietness of the rooms and the general cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dubris, Thank you truly taking your time and reviewing our hotel. Honest feedback like yours often helps to point out some of the details that can easily be overlooked, like a fiddly lamp or tricky shower. This also helps to remind our maintenance staff to look for certain things when they enter a room.
We were very pleased to read that, despite a few flaws during your stay, you would still choose to return due to the staff, quiet rooms and cleanliness. Please be assured that the items you mentioned will be addressed immediately. Again, Thank you for your input and we look forward to your next visit to our hotel.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had an excellent experience. Location is outstanding, but the best part was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Room was nice too! Spacious bathroom. We had a corner unit that was a good size for a place right in the city. It was clean and had a pretty view.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
George O, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Susarc, Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. We were pleased to see that you found our staff friendly and helpful. Our belief is that the people make the difference. The next time you come to Washington, we hope you choose to return to The Normandy.
Saipan, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Excellent front desk staff and breakfast/wine staff. Very friendly, warm and inviting. They are happy and willing to accommodate every need. I have to travel to DC every year and I will now make this my go-to place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sirena670, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We were pleased to read that you found our staff friendly, warm and inviting. We strive to make people feel at home. We look forward to seeing you next year.
The Normandy Hotel

Been to The Normandy Hotel? Share your experiences!