“Good Location, Good price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
BOOK DIRECT GET 10% OFF
Ranked #49 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Good Location, Good price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stopped at the Normandy for 5 nights arriving at about 11pm due to the ridiculous queue at immigration for 2 hrs. I took a Super Shuttle from the airport, and I am glad I did. The hotel is located on a side road tucked away, so it is very quiet, but not the easiest to find at 11pm at night in a new city. The hotel is a 10 min walk (uphill) along from DuPoint Circle and an equal distance the other direction to Woodley Park - both are on the red line.
The room was really clean, spotless - but very warm. As mentioned by other reviewers this is due to the fact the air con can't be turned down below 18.5, and the windows only open a few inches. In the end I got the front desk to open the window and I left the air con turned off to cool the room. It wasn't what I needed after a long journey late at night. But it got sorted. Breakfast was nice enough, maybe not a lot for $ 13. I found by walking up the road to Adams Morgan (toward Woodley Park) a lot more places doing decent breakfasts for similar prices.
I didn't spend a great deal of time at the hotel, but the people on the desk always answered any questions about transport or DC in general.
The best thing about this hotel is it's a lot cheaper than it's peers, and it's quite well connected (metro lines as mentioned), so a good base to explore DC from. I enjoyed my break at Normandy hotel and I would stay here again if I visited DC.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This quaint little hotel is located in the Dupont Circle area just off of Connecticut in a residential area not far from a Metro stop. For the price it could not be beat . The staff was especially wonderful and , in particular, David was most helpful facilitating our departure. Our room did not have much of a view but the price made up for that . The room was nicely appointed and radiantly clean. We would recommend it to anyone and will stay here again on our next trip to DC if a comparable room rate is available then.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Overall, we loved the hotel. While small, the rooms had updated furnishings and a comfortable bed. It is an older hotel, but I very good condition. It is close to the DuPont Circle and metro. The neighborhood is beautiful, several Embassy's on the street. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only negative was the climate control. We could not get our room to cool off. Fortunately it was cool enough to sleep with the window open. We did advise the front desk after the first night, but no improvement. While checking out, I overheard another guest making the same complaint. Would stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

A friend and myself stayed here while attending a conference in Washington, DC. I cannot say enough about this hotel. Clean, safe, and friendly staff. Some names that I remember are Aj, Lamiae, and Lamia.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Randolph, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel was very nice we arrived around midnight and had no issue to get to our room. We stayed only one night. Rooms are decorated very nicely and clean however they are on the small side just like the European hotels. Bed was very comfortable.
The staff can use some training in customer service. As we arrived we asked for extra towels, the front desk person told me that he will bring them up. However after 10 minutes in the room the phone rang and he said that he cannot bring them up until the morning.
When we arrived we tried to get coffee from the free machine that they have next to the lobby but the machine did not function and had no coffee in it. There is also an espresso machine in the room. The machine did not have any coffee pods even though the morning front desk person told me that they should be in the machine. The water reservoir was missing from the machine so, no coffee could be made. When I expressed my disappointment on the subject with the front desk they had nothing to say.
A guest at such hotel might expect the front desk to order coffee for the guest before they leave the hotel. However, at the Normandy it appears that staff care less if guests are satisfied or return to stay with them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel had its ups and downs. Helpful hotel staff is definitely an up. Arrived on a red eye and was able to check in early (around 8am) which was great. Staff was super friendly, although was unaware of a deal available on the hotel website. Room was warm when I entered, so I turned the air down as far as possible. Took a nap and when I awoke it was 80 degrees in the room. Tried to open windows only to discover they only opened about 4 inches and that what I thought was the air conditioning unit was right outside my window (the noise when it kicked on every 30 minutes or so was so loud I had to shut the window). Went to use the iron discovered it was broken, asked for a new one to be delivered and it wasn't. Next morning the temperature in my room was 80 degrees. Called and had the front desk deliver the iron and check on the lack of air. They said the engineer would come after I left for the day. Returned at 3pm to find out that because it was an old building it was either heat or air and the building was set to heat. After pointing out that I wasn't paying this much to be in a room that was now even warmer, I asked to be moved to a room where windows opened. I was given another room, moved my stuff, only to be told that the room was promised to someone else I was moved again.

Overall the customer service was good. The rooms were great (warning standard queen is tiny, but superior queen is normal size). Everything was queen and the hotel was quiet. Only other downside was the mediocre wifi. I called several times and was told it was something wrong with my equipment (I had 3 devices with wifi so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it).

I would stay here agin, but only if it were much lower priced than other area hotels.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is a great find.Quiet area but a couple of minutes walk from restaurants,shops etc.The hotel is boutique style.Lovely lounge area,free coffee and tea available all day plus wine on some evenings.Rooms are good size with great bathrooms.Staff go out of their way to be helpful and nothing was too much trouble.It is possible to walk to most major attractions. We walked to The White House,it took about 30 mins, stopping at shops on route.It is also about 15 mins from the zoo which is free!There is a metro close by and the metro system in D.C. is really good and easy to follow.
We were looking at larger hotels and were so pleased we chose this instead.Hope one day to return.

Room Tip: Had a room on first floor which was fine so could use the stairs when we wanted to. Quiet area so ve...