“So much better than expected!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Normandy Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Normandy Hotel to your Saves list
The Normandy Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2118 Wyoming Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #57 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Bagshot, United Kingdom
“So much better than expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel was a perfect location for sightseeing. It was quiet but an easy walk to plenty of restaraunts in the evening. Rooms were good and clean. The cheese and wine were fabulous in the evening and just what we needed after a day on the feet sightseeing.
Let down just a little by the fact the coffee machine downstairs broke every day and few of the staff could fix it. But for the price spectacular place to stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Greetings Gill M!

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thou8ghts with the TA community. It seems the Normandy Hotel was a great fit and provided a fantastic stay. Thank you for the great feedback as well. We are in the midst of tightening up a few things around the property to ensure our guest’s stays are amazing! Thank you once again and we look forward to hosting you again the near future!

Lee

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel was supposed to be "Luxe," but we were pretty disappointed about it. I was told by the grumpy front desk clerk that we were getting a free complimentary upgrade, but our room was very average and kind-of cramped. It also wasn't stocked with any soap or coffee, so I called down to the front desk to get it. He forgot, so we had to remind him hours later. There is a nice wine service for an hour, but it was late, there were no dishes, and they quickly ran out of food and wine. This hotel would be fine if it were advertised as an "average hotel." I was disappointed that it wasn't nicer with it's "luxurious" description.

However, I think that if they replaced our very grumpy and rude front desk clerk, the hotel would be much nicer!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear phoenixgirl2,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us during your time in DC. Great feedback to share with our team and we will certainly grow stronger form it. We truly do have an amazing hotel here and I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to make this right for you. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to DC so I can personally ensure your stay with us is wonderful.

Warm regards,

202-448-1772
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed one night at this little hotel off of Connecticut Ave. I realized when I arrived that I had stayed here before, several years ago, before their renovation. (I recognized the building across the street). My room was small but it was very quite and I finally got a good night's sleep. I had been in town for a conference and the previous night had stayed at a larger much more expensive hotel. The flat screen TV was huge--I didn't watch it since I was only here for one night but I was impressed. The toiletries in the bathroom were nice and were not the usual cheap stuff. The expresso machine in the room was great--although it took me a while to learn how to use it. I liked that they include free wi-fi and also an ethernet cord (in the desk drawer). They have apples at the front desk, and a lounge area. There is another coffee maker in the small eating area and they have free cookies. I missed the free wine. I didn't bother with the breakfast ($12). It seemed steep for a continental breakfast. Coffee and the apple were enough for me. The hotel is located about 10 minutes walk from Dupont Circle and there are a lot of restaurants there--cheap and higher end. Walking in the other direction about 10 minutes towards Woodley Park station, there is another strip of restaurants. I found the evening and morning staff to be helpful and pleasant. If I am in the area again I will definitely stay at the Normandy. The price is right, it's comfortable, friendly and pleasant.

Room Tip: My room's window faced the inner courtyard. Perhaps that was why it was particularly quiet--away...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Greetings lucero65!

Thank you so much for spending time with us the Normandy Hotel! We really are the perfect location in DC. So close to everything and tucked away on Embassy Row! This is what provides our incredible accessibility and peaceful accommodations. I am thrilled that you found your way back to us! Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you when your travels bring you back to DC!

Lee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Normandy over the holidays- obviously, I took my time in writing this review. :)

The hotel itself is small (narrow hallways) but that is the norm with the older buildings in the area. I found the hotel to be very clean and nicely decorated. The location is convenient with the only drawback being parking. They have a (very expensive) garage and street parking is limited. We were able to park on the street, however, and just had to walk a little ways and remember to move the car when necessary. Again- the parking issue is not a reflection of the hotel itself, but of the area as a whole.

The main point of this review is to highlight the wonderful customer service we experienced here:

My husband, baby, & I flew into town. Our plane kept being delayed (for 8 hours!) Those who have ever flown with a 1 year old should already be cringing...lol When we finally got to the airport in DC, it was around 2 a.m. The place was deserted- and our rental car place closed (yes, we called to let them know we'd be late...that's a whole other story.)

Anyway, there was no one around....at all. My hubby searched & managed to find someone just as they were leaving, who hooked us up with what was apparently the last taxi on earth. The cab driver, also on his way home & obviously in a hurry, urged us not to install our son's carseat (just to give you an idea what kind of guy he was.) At last, we arrived at the hotel.....to learn that the taxi service accepted cash only, which of course we didn't have.

We brought our luggage into the lobby, where my son & I were going to wait while my husband went searching for an ATM around 3a.m. (we had a lot of stuff & there was no way I could get it up to our room myself + baby, & we didn't want the driver to have to wait.) My son had seriously been an angel the whole trip but was obviously not overjoyed about it...I'm sure the three of us looked pretty pathetic at that point!

Enter our Godsend, Roberto, at the front desk! "Godsend" may sound dramatic, but trust me- I could've kissed the man! Roberto took pity on us & gave us money out of petty cash to pay for the cab! Although something probably against policy, it had us singing his praises for weeks to come! We repaid the money the next day & told the manager of the kindnesses (making sure we wouldn't get him in trouble with the writing of a review.)

Roberto was truly our light at the end of the tunnel. I cannot say how much this simple gesture helped us that night (and restored our faith in humanity!)

We will return to this hotel for future trips to D.C. because of this kindness alone.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Sarahjalaine,

I am so thrilled to see that your stay was a great one with us at the Normandy Hotel! I am sorry to see that it was less than delightful making your way to our hotel but even more so thrilled that Roberto was there to welcome you! It is clear he did an amazing job! I will most certainly share with the whole team here. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. Please know that we are your home away from home when your travels bring you to the area.

Warm regards,

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We really enjoyed out stay at the Normandy Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. We found our room to be comfortable, clean and nicely decorated. In addition to the bed being comfortable, the bathroom was roomy enough. A nice touch was the Nespresso machine. Having a good cup of coffee in our room was a nice way to start each day. Every afternoon, upon our return we were greeted with wine and cheese to help us unwind after a long day of sightseeing. Note that the wine and cheese hour is 6-7pm daily.
The hotel is in a good location, very close to the Dupont Circle area. Plenty of restaurants and shopping in the area. It is also in a nice, charming neighborhood with interesting buildings surrounding it.
Wyoming Ave. is between the Woodley Park and Dupont Metro stations. Each is about a half mile from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Patricia C!

Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your experience with the TA community. It seems our team and hotel took great care. Mission accomplished! I am so pleased to see that the little touches we are so proud of made your stay a successful one. We look forward to hosting you again very soon!

Best,

Batemans Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We'd read the reviews prior to staying at this property but found a few details lost when they changed hotel chains but that was quickly sorted when I produced detailed emails. We found the hotel conveniently located and the "hill" that everyone talks about is nothing, you're on holidays and a bit of exercise is good for everyone, especially if you get your breakfast included; cookies and coffee in the afternoon and what a great way to unwind in the evening with cheese and a glass of wine. Found all staff lovely. FYI there is a 711 store across the block not in DuPont circle and within easy walking distance if you need anything.

Room Tip: front room with a view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear sttkozzies,

Thank you very much for spending time with us at the Normandy Hotel. We greatly appreciate the nice comments! It’s great to see that our location was conducive for you. We really are close to everything and have the luxury of being nestled right on Embassy Row! You could not ask for a better locale. Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to DC, we would love to host you again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The front desk employee was very rude to me when I checked in the hotel. I had made two seperate reservation in January then canceled it a couple weeks later. My travel plans changed again so I rebooked at the Normandy Hotel two seperate reservation.1st reservation was for Friday night and the 2nd reservation was for Friday and Saturday night . Two days before I was to arrive at the hotel my mother in law got sick and I canceled the 1st reservation. When I arrived at the hotel the front desk employee informed me that I had no reservation at the hotel. Because I had booked a reservation and canceled a reservation and rebooked the reservation and then canceled the reservation. He was so rude when he said this to me. My daughter was with me and could not believe how he was treating us. I then told him why I had canceled the reservation and so on. But before I could finish he took a phone call. The phone call must have been from someone he had called earlier about my reservation. After he got off the phone he said I guess you heard what I was talking about on the phone. He then informed me that my 2ndreservation we could have after all.. He was soooo rude. He made me fell like I was not worthy to stay at the hotel and if it would have be up to him I would not have got the room. The hotel was nice but I doubt that I will ever stay there agian. The cutomer service was terrible...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear George110,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I would like to apologize for the less than desirable interaction. We truly are focused on ensuring all of our guests stays with us are wonderful and I will most certainly share with the team. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to discuss further. Please feel free to contact me at any time so we can make this right for you. Looking forward to connecting.

202-448-1772

Been to The Normandy Hotel? Share your experiences!