“Sleeping in an 1864 Register of Historic Places inn.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morrison-Clark Historic Inn

You added Morrison-Clark Historic Inn to your Saves list
Morrison-Clark Historic Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 L St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Mount Vernon Square)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now & Save 10%!
Ranked #88 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Sleeping in an 1864 Register of Historic Places inn.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Have stayed twice - early 2013 and July 4th weekend 2014. Both stays pleasant and restful (due to the holiday, we missed the construction noise experienced by others in mid-summer 2014). Found free on-street parking each time w/in sight of the Morrison-Clark too. Staff is professional and refined, as one would expect for a boutique-type hotel. Location is good for activities at the east end of The Mall. Shortcomings experienced are 1) an elevator that seems to require pushing "close door" button in order for the door to close, and 2) a less than robust continental breakfast. Had to ask, then wait and wait (as did others) for plastic utensils to be provided; particularly odd given the restaurant serves evening dinners w/ real silverware. Still, the charm of the place - hopefully not lost w/ the new addition - makes the M-C a worthy consideration.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
LarryArmold,

I thoroughly enjoy hearing from guests such as yourself that decide to stay with us each time they come to DC. It’s a true testament to the wonderful staff and the quality of the hotel. As you know from your previous experiences, we take great pride in keeping the authenticity of our historic Inn, which will not be lost with the completion of the expansion and restoration. We will be replacing the elevator at that time and shortly after plan to reopen our full service restaurant, to include breakfast service. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spacious, the staff opened doors for you and the coffee at breakfast was warm. Would recommend the inn for couples or single business travelers. The location couldn't have been safer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
loversdreamersme,

Thank you for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy the quaint atmosphere of our Inn along with the warm comforts of home. There is truly nothing better than a comfortable bed, a good cup of coffee, and great customer service. I hope to see you again if you travel back to the Nation's Capital!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My only complaint is that my stay was too short! I visited for one Saturday night. During which, I spent time in the parlor, the dining area (where Ella Fitzgerald's smooth voice soothed me overhead) and on the Inn's large porch. I stayed up late and rose early just to enjoy these living spaces outside my room. The staff was very hospitable. The continental breakfast was also delightful.

I felt safe and enjoyed people watching as the night life folks walked, peddled, and skated to and fro. The construction on the property was noticeable visually from my room, but there was no weekend noise. Parking was valet only (which was convenient and costs extra but for me, was worth it).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the streets (not the courtyard construction area).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jessica H,

I agree, it was too short! Please come back to stay with us for longer. It's been said that it would take over a month to visit all of the 18 DC area Smithsonians, and that doesn't even include all the monuments and other major attractions of DC. I hope to see you as our guest for your next visit when you'll be able to spend more time at the Inn and our Nation's Capital.
Idaho City, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Morrison-Clark recently and were struck by the beauty and classic comfort of the room, and the special atmosphere that seems to only exist in the historic hotels. The staff was very helpful and always friendly. The room was very large and handsomely appointed with period pieces, well lit from several lovely, large windows, and perfectly comfortable for both sleeping and casual conversation. The pitcher of iced tea and the platter of freshly baked cookies that greeted residents upon their return from their adventures only added to the welcoming and gracious environment. We look forward to returning. Susan D.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Susan G,

What a lovely review! You managed to capture the look, feel, and atmosphere of the Morrison Clark perfectly. Thank you for your kinds words about our staff - I will be sure to pass them along. I'm so happy you and your daughter stayed with us and we look forward to having you back soon.
Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The inn has a really nice historic feel, which we loved!! The staff was very friendly!! They could hold our bags on the check out day, so we could enjoy another day in the city. It seems that they were remodeling at the time, but we had no problems whatsoever. We are good sleepers anyway! We did notice the earplugs and they offered us complimentary breakfast, which was a good surprise.
Our room was lovely, as the whole building.
We really liked the location. Got there after a quick bus ride from Union Station and had no problems, even though it was our first time in the city. From the inn it is possible to walk to the White House. We walked farther to the national mall and capitol and it was a long, but pleasant walk.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Juliana D,
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear about what an amazing time you had at the Morrison Clark Inn and while site seeing in DC. I'm happy to learn our expansion construction didn't have an affect on you. As we are finishing up the project, we are finding the noise level has really decreased. I'm also pleased to know you took advantage of many of the amenties we offer - our location, luggage storage, breakfast, etc. I hope you will be our guest again the next time you visit DC.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at the Morrison-Clark Inn on a weeknight after attending a concert at the Howard Theater. Our room was so fantastic, had many large windows and a HUGE balcony, one of the largest I have ever seen. The staff was friendly. The complimentary iced tea, cookies, and glass of wine (at 5pm) were really a nice touch. Their restaurant was under construction so we had a continental breakfast in the lobby which suited our needs. I would love to come back here after the construction is done to try the restaurant and check out another lovely room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Jessica L,
Thank you for such a wonderful review! We often have guests that stay with us following events at Howard Theater. Our close proximity is most advantageous. In addition, we find that guests who enjoy the arts really appreciate the Morrison Clark's history, architectural detail, and attention to detail in the décor and artwork within the hotel. I'm so pleased we exceeded your expectations. The Morrison Clark Inn is a staple within the city for our cuisine and wine list. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to DC so that you may experience our award winning restaurant!
Claremont, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I found this hotel while searching for more reasonable prices after I found our usual Foggy Bottom/West End places were prohibitively expensive. This place was farther east, just north of and on the other side of the White House, near the Convention Center in a more "downtown" area. We had what is, I believe, called a "parlor suite", and it was very nice and very comfortable. With a bad back, I recently started using a memory foam mattress at home, and was nervous about traveling. This bed was wonderful, and if not memory foam, it was the next best thing (I'm not really sure what it was).

Of particular note was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The two gentlemen that were there on the weekend we arrived, Teshome and Noufor, were wonderful, as were all other staff.

Finally, there was the unexpected bonus. As a pipe smoker, I can not really sneak out for a "quick" smoke, but I try to book non-smoking hotels to spare my wife. Upon checking in, I was reminded politely that there was no smoking in the room, but was told I was welcome to smoke on the "veranda". Overlooking L street and a busy six-way intersection, this veranda seemed like something from an old southern plantation, probably sixty or seventy feet long and ten or twelve feet wide,with several tables and chairs. Between this and the street was a beautiful little landscaped garden that gave a sense of privacy despite the location. This was a little oasis in the middle, of DC, totally unexpected, and was the nicest smoking area I have ever seen.

All in all, a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Our third floor parlor suite facing Eleventh St. had two TV's, was very comfortable and relative...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bobbowen,

I'm so glad you found us! As you said, we are located right downtown, in the middle of all the activity within the city. Our little oasis is a perfect blend of city action with a relaxing scenic atmosphere. Our Front Veranda was built in the mid 1870s, a few years after completion of the original town houses. For nearly 150 years people have sat on that porch and experienced the city through the same view you did - I'm so glad that it you enjoyed it and found it to perfectly suit your needs. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to DC!

Been to Morrison-Clark Historic Inn? Share your experiences!