“great stay - highly recommend it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morrison-Clark Historic Inn

You added Morrison-Clark Historic Inn to your Saves list
Morrison-Clark Historic Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 L St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Mount Vernon Square)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #85 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Tucson
“great stay - highly recommend it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

What's the best things you can say about a hotel? For me it is: a comfortable bed; very friendly & helpful staff; very good & reasonably priced food in their dining room (and my friends came over from a Hilton to join me for a dinner and loved it!); and 15-20 minutes walk to the White House & the National Mall. And at a very reasonable price! So I was very happy with my visit there and would recommend it to anyone! I will definitely stay there again the next time I am in DC

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I wish to express my deep appreciation for your generous comments regarding your most recent stay with us. We value you as a guest and it is always a rewarding feeling when we have made a positive impression on our guest. Thank You for taking the time to also dine in our restaurant, as I will be sure to pass your comments along to my staff.

I sincerely appreciate the time you spent in reviewing your overall stay with us.

Best Regards,
Mohamad Taha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Nottinghamshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our first impressions of the Inn were poor: there's scaffolding around the property, the young lady on the reception was mumbling so bad I couldn't hear what she was saying, they left our car outside for over 20 minutes (in a city parking space rather than their valet area, which was full) before they took it to a car park and they didn't assist us with our cases.
When we got to the room, we were dismayed to find we were looking into what must have been a courtyard which is now a building site! It beggars belief that they would put a couple who are on their honeymoon in a room such as that one! We had to laugh at the fact that they had even supplied ear plugs (the noise must be bad during the week - luckily, we were there over the weekend). The room also smelled damp.
The saving grace for this hotel is that it is only 15 minutes away from the White House, but that's the only positive I could find about it.
At night, I was awoken by drunken idiots using the elevators, which were next to our room. They must have been waiting there for at least 5 minutes and not one member of staff asked them to consider the other guests.
When we checked out the following day, I wanted the opportunity to discuss our stay, however the only question we were asked was whether we wanted to settle the bill on the credit card! The cheek of it!
I e-mailed customer services about this and they offered to give us a 10% refund, which they did, however, they then took an additional £80+: they had charged us for the room a second time AND taken $15.53, which I have no idea what for, this figure isn't on my invoice at all. I've since e-mailed them, received no reply, and have had to take the issue up with my credit card company who have had to cancel my credit card to prevent them from taking anything else, which I am incredibly unhappy about.
So, as you can tell, I wouldn't recommend the Morrison Clark Thieving Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was less then pleasant. We take great pride in guest satisfaction and because we did not fulfill that for you is a great disappointment. Your concerns were addressed with the Head of each department staff for correction and your bill was adjusted by the 10% that you were promised. I will be happy to look over any invoices that you are able to provide for correction, however, we could not find any additiional charges posted to your credit card after you departed the hotel or even after you recieved the 10% discount. You were only charged for one night's room and tax and one night of parking.

I apologize for any confusion and incoveniences you experienced during your stay with us.

mtaha@rbpropertiesinc.com
Hatboro, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed here for three nights this past week for a business trade show being held at the convention center. As with all reviews, here are my pro's and con's:

PRO's

It's a small hotel, and does not necessarily have the grandiose scale or amenities as some of the other more well known hotels in the area. But I found the location to be perfect - a block from the convention center, the staff very accommodating and friendly, and the rooms clean and well appointed. I also really enjoyed the breakfast there - I thought the pricing was reasonable, and the food excellent.

CON's

They have construction going on right now to expand the courtyard area next to the hotel - and the area in and around the hotel near the convention center seems to be mired in construction as well. Honestly though, it really didn't bother me. Your out and about most of the day anyway, and that is essentially the hours of construction.

The bigger negative for me however would be the parking cost. It's the city, and I understand you have to pay for parking, but close to $40 a night for parking is just unreasonable. The hotel is pairing with a 'sister company' so I'm sure they look at it as they both would like to make money off of the transaction, but I have to say that particular charge alone would make me think twice and look a bit more closely at what my options were in terms of alternative places to stay in the area.

OVERALL

Construction and parking issues aside, I very much enjoyed my stay at this rather charming hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank You Mjakes28 for your comments, as they are very important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. I apologize that you were not pleased with our valet parking policy, as this is a standard rate with most hotels in the city. Though it can be expensive, we do offer parking alternatives for guests who do not wish to use our valet parking facility.
I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed our Inn and that the current expansion project did not affect your overall stay.
Please feel free to visit us again in the near future.

Regards,
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn. Our room was charming & comfortable. The staff was great & it is ideally located within walking distance to the main attractions. I was concerned about construction noise after I read the reviews but we never heard any.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank You for such kind comments.
I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff and location of the Inn were more than accomodating. I will be happy to share your comments with my staff.
Please do not hesitate in staying with us in future.

Best Regards,

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I can't say enough wonderful things about this inn. I stayed in the basic deluxe queen room for 5 nights. I was worried that the room would be small after I looked at the photos online, but the was spacious and lovely. It included a writing desk and free wifi. There was even a bathrobe in the wardrobe. The staff left a bottle of water in room room every night when they came by to turn down my bed. They actually gave me two bottles on a couple of nights.

The bed was comfortable and there were lots of different pillows to choose from. I could hear the traffic from my room, but it wasn't too loud for me at night. That's saying a lot since I live out in the country. I often have trouble sleeping in the city.

There was a lot of construction going on outside the hotel and in the area near the hotel. It really wasn't bothersome to me. The hotel is in a nice location. If you don't mind walking, you can walk to plenty of restaurants and even the White House from this hotel.

I ordered room service one night. I wasn't that impressed my burger and sweet potato fries. I had breakfast in the dinning room on a couple of mornings. I found that very tasty. The prices weren't that bad for a hotel.

The staff was very courteous and helpful. I was very pleased with everyone that I encountered at the hotel.

My only criticism was the valet parking. It was $38 a day to leave your car at the hotel. That's pricy - even for D.C.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate your comments and taking the time in letting fellow travelers know about your experience with us. We take great pride in going the extra mile to ensure that our guests are treated with sincerity and making sure that your stay is most pleasant. I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed the room and that the construction was not at all bothersome to you. We do our best in accomodating our guest in all ways possible in ensuring that your needs are met during your stay with us.
Please feel free to visit us again when your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC.

Thanks,

Chicago, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This place was great! We booked a room and ended up with a beautiful suite - lots of room. Two blocks from the Convention Center. The people working there were very friendly and competent.

It isn't cheap, but nothing in Washington is and it's got a lot more character than your average hotel room.

We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was good and the waitress was very accommodating since one of us has allergies.

We will definitely stay here again. Why four stars - they could use some updating - some new carpets and window shades but nothing drastic. If they do that - 5 stars for sure.

It's a place you will enjoy.

Room Tip: I only saw our room, it was outside the corridor from the main hotel but attached to it. They are b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for choosing to stay at the Morrison Clark Inn during your most recent visit to Washinigton DC. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location was convenient for you. Thank You for giving such nice comments regarding the staff and your positive experience in the restaurant. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as it's always good to know how we affect our guests.

Thank You again!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

A pleasant stay in an historic and welcoming inn. A comfortable and clean hotel with friendly and welcoming staff. Loved the antiques and the William Morris style decor. The veranda is a pleasant place to while away some time with a coffee and a good book. The inn is a short walk from the White House, National Mall and Smithsonian.
We are a couple who travel with an elderly relative so we booked a sofa room suite, which has a living area in a separate room from the bedroom. This was adequate and comfortable for our stay although a little on the tight side. This is in no way a criticism as this is an historic inn and the rooms are the size they are. There was no safe in our room but we have exclusive access to a safety deposit box in the office off the lobby. The bathroom was a good size and we loved the period doors.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this pleasant and comfortable inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank You for your kind words Deborah T. I'm excited to know that your stay was pleasant and that you were treated with absolute outstanding hospitality. Thank You for taking the time in appreciatiing the amenities and the decor of the Inn. Your comments are greatly appreciated, as I will be sure to share them with the staff.

Mohamad Taha

Been to Morrison-Clark Historic Inn? Share your experiences!