“Very nice room, very questionable moment at checkout” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morrison-Clark Historic Inn

Save Saved
You added Morrison-Clark Historic Inn to your Saves list
Morrison-Clark Historic Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 L St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Mount Vernon Square)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now & Save 10%
Ranked #85 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very nice room, very questionable moment at checkout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Overall, we had a very nice experience at the hotel. The room was very nice and the location was close enough to the various sights that we could walk. We did have a couple of minor complaints, including that the couch where the tv was (different room from bedroom) wasn't very comfortable. The shower pressure was very low and there was no light in the shower area. We could hear some traffic noise. But, I think the price paid was worth what we got in the room. We did have one major problem, which occurred at checkout. There was an unexplained charge on our bill when we received the receipt from the front desk. When we went back up to ask about it, the person at the desk said that she also didn't know where the charge was coming from, but she just left it on the bill. Frankly, I think that conduct is unacceptable, but I'm unwilling to hold the entire hotel accountable for that one employee's action.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room on the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank You for taking the time in submitting a review regarding your recent stay at our Inn. We value your comments and sincerely appreciate your honesty. I do apologize that your service at check out was less than satisfactory. Please feel free to contact me at the Morrison-Clark Inn so that I may correct the issue on your bill for you.
Comments such as yours help us improve the quality of our service and pin point areas that need to be addressed.
I would love for you to stay with us again when your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC.

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Ocean City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

had to come to DC for a convention. most hotels were in the $400 range..DC get over yourself.. found this hotel and was within walking distance of convention center. the valet/bellman very friendly and helpful since wasn't a elevator in site and had to walk up steps with a tradeshow booth and luggage..not your typical check in it is a historic hotel so don't expect the marriott check in. very courteous very nice staff. they have actual key's instead of the new micro keys was interesting haven't seen one of those in awhile. room was nice a bit small but again historic hotel. strange angle for TV in the closet next to bed. nice sized bathroom.
all in all a nice place will stay again but if your looking for cookie cutter go elsewhere if looking for quaint then stay here

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I' am glad to hear that you chose to stay at the Morrison-Clark Historic Inn over the more modern chain hotels. It is always nice to hear when my staff provides guests such as yourself, with a more relaxed and intimate atmosphere followed by personal guest service.
I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Please visit us again in the future.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The customer service I experienced throughout my 4-night stay was great and the hotel is only 2 or 3 blocks from the convention center. Dined via room service once and in the restaurant twice. Meals were very good and reasonably priced (by Washington D.C. standards). Was unable to print documents in the business center on my first night and fourth night. My guestroom was small, not particularly well lit and had rather dark paint on the walls which made the room quite dim. In addition, it was an interior room (the two windows looked out to a corridor), so I kept the blinds closed the entire stay which further contributed to the dark room. Surprised to see the hotel still using hard (metal) mechanical keys, as opposed to the significantly more secure electronic (reprogrammed after each guest leaves) type. Great line-up of TV programming, however the flat panel TV was comically small- the size of a desktop computer monitor (I'm not exaggerating), photo attached to this review. Complimentary WiFi in the guestroom worked well and appreciated this service. In summary, the hotels proximity to the convention center and the very good customer service were the strong points from my experience.

Room Tip: Request a guestroom with an exterior view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank You for choosing to stay with us. I' am delighted to know that the service and location worked out very well for you, however, I do want to express my apologies that you were less than satisfied with your room. We do have three rooms types in our Inn, which include our Standard Deluxe rooms, our Victorian rooms, and our Parlor Suites. All of our rooms have their own layout and décor, which keeps up with the character of the building and its amenities. Being that we are a Historic property, we believe in staying in a class unlike the more modern chain hotels.
I would love for you to consider staying with us in the future should your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Took the Amtrak Northwest Regional train from NYC to D.C. and stayed two nights. The staff was friendly and welcoming. We arrived on a Thursday and were able to check-in early. Good rates especially for a two night stay. The inn is a short walk from the Metro subway station, which was convenient. The bathroom was almost as big as the small standard room, but overall was a decent size for two people. We were there to explore D.C. so did not spend much time in the room anyways. The bed was comfortable and had reading lights built in above. The orange french toast at brunch was tasty! Overall the inn was quiet and peaceful. Free wi-fi was a plus. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
I' am very grateful for your kind words and happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm thankful that you enjoyed the Inn's amenities and all that we had to offer. We strive for the best in customer service satisfaction and I'am always happy to hear when we have exceeded that.

Thank You for allowing us to be apart of your experience while in Washington DC as we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have been visiting family in this area of DC for the past few years and wanted to stay in a smaller and more reasonable hotel this trip. I am a sensitive sleeper and am also an interior designer...so quiet and loveliness matters to me. First I chose the Victorian Room so it would be a little more spacious. The room was cozy, lovely & clean (not gorgeous, but very sweet and comfortable with lovely period antiques), the mattress & bedding very high quality. My room was on the third floor facing L street. The view was partially blocked by the top of the decorative hotel front - but I also think this lessened the street noise and I slept better in this room then I do at home. There was barely any hall noise, and the usual sounds from other rooms were very muffled and negligible. The staff was very kind and helpful. I did not eat any meals in the hotel - but did hear that it is quite good from a very picky local (and also, that President Carter stayed there for the inauguration this year!). This area is developing very quickly into a very hip section of DC brimming with great, modern restaurants within a short distance from the hotel. I will definitely stay at the Morrison Clark Inn again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I'am happy to know that you chose the Morrison-Clark Historic Inn for your accomodation needs while visiting your family in Washington DC. Though we are centrally located within the city, which can thrive on city life, I'am glad that you recieved a good night's sleep and found our Inn to be relaxing and stress free. I would also like to Thank You on the nice comments regarding the staff, as I will be sure to pass your kind words on to them.

Thank You again for staying with us, as we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Sincerly,

Bristol, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

What a wonderful place! I was happily surprised with the reasonable room rate, as nice as it is.

The hotel is a beautiful boutique hotel, both with its old world charm and modern amenities in our room. The bed was very comfortable, so it was nice to sleep so well too.

The staff is very friendly and personable, and was always willing to go the extra mile for us.

I go to DC several times a year, and have decided that this will be my home away from home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I' am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's amenities as well as the staff, as we go the extra mile in ensuring that our guests are well pampered and taken care of during their stay with us.
We look forward to seeing you in the future should your travel plans bring you back to our Nation's Capital.

Regards,

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed there 2 nights and loved it! I prefer boutique hotels - the ambiance and they feel safer to me. Room was cozy - not huge but i dont need a large room. The bed was very comfortable with lots of pillowsI Carpet was a little worn, but that lends to the ambiance of being an older victorian home. I had an inside courtyard room so it was quiet - but the view was nothing special. No noise from the hall either. All of the staff were very nice and accomodating. Everything worked well in my room (216) but the heat took some time to warm up the room. Free wifi was another nice touch. I loved the look and feel of this historical home - and the history was fascinating. Behind the check out desk is an old wooden clock that looks like a carved house. It is beautiful. One of the staff told me it was the very first catalog order clock from Sears! The restaurant was fabulous - well known for their food. First night I had scallops over an Israili couscous that was divine. Second night i had steak with green beans and salad. Desserts were good, but not outstanding - I had the bread pudding and creme brulee. Dining room is beautiful and the staff were nice. Great wine list too!
For those who require it, this hotel is not handicapped accessible - there are several steps to climb to the entrance. Also 4 or 5 steps up the hallway and elevators.
But I would defifnitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Inside courtyard rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
I' am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and also glad to know that the historic trait of our Inn is what pleased you and that you enjoyed it's aura. Your kind and thoughtful comments are very much appreciated, as I will make sure to pass them along to my staff.
When your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC, please do not hesitate in staying with us.

Have a great day!

Mohamad Taha

Been to Morrison-Clark Historic Inn? Share your experiences!