“Unique, Comfortable and perfectly located!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morrison-Clark Historic Inn

Save Saved
You added Morrison-Clark Historic Inn to your Saves list
Morrison-Clark Historic Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 L St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Mount Vernon Square)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now & Save 10% Off!
Ranked #90 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Palm Bay, Florida
“Unique, Comfortable and perfectly located!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

In my mind, the word "historic" means "old" and "uncomfortable", but I chose The Morrison Clark Historic Inn due to the ideal location and proximity to the Convention Center where the Inaugural Balls were being held (walking distance). Thankfully, my personal prejudice was unfounded. The hotel boasts a warm, charming decor, the rooms are clean and well-appointed, the beds super-comfy, and the staff very helpful.
Only room size and parking availability were less than perfect. While not tiny, my room (302) was smaller than what I am accustomed to and due to the inaugural crowds I was unable to stop outside of the hotel to unload my luggage, as is normal. I had to call the front desk while circling the block for help. They sent a valet/porter to take my bags and park my car-for a fee of about $35.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I'am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests were treated with the highest level of customer service and that you felt comfortable during your overall stay.
I'am also delighted to hear that our location was perfect for you, as we are only 2 walking blocks away from the Convention Center, where the 2 Inaugural balls took place.
Should your travel plans bring you back to our Nation's Capitol, please do not hesitate in staying with us again.

Regards,
Mohammed Taha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I are from Vancouver, Canada. We spent 10 wonderful days at the Morrison Clark Hotel exploring all the sights, museums, history, in and around Washington D.C. This heritage hotel with its all ambience put serious history buffs like us in the mood each day to get out there and explore this wonderful city. It also provided a welcome retreat to come home to at night. The first day,we enjoyed our breakfast in the dining room so much, that we decided to eat there every morning of our stay. We had a toasty warm parlour room with a thermostat we could crank up as high as we wanted (winter is COLD in Washington) Our bed was clean and comfortable, T.V. and wifi in livingroom, and a HUGE bathroom with shower/tub. The hotel location was perfect for a 15 minute walk to Chinatown, Ford's Theatre, and movie theatres, and only a 20 minute walk to the Mall and museums. A $7 cab ride back to hotel at night was always our choice (HINT: save your feet for the museums). Staff were courteous, helpful, and always available to answer questions. Overall, a GREAT STAY!!

Room Tip: Parlour room is the way to go if you are staying a while. Very spacious.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank You kindly for your review of the Morrison-Clark Historic Inn. I do appreciate you taking the time to discuss your stay here,as well as letting fellow travelers know about your experience. I'am always delighted to hear when our guests have a pleasant stay and have positive feedback.
Should your travel plans bring you back to our Nation's Capitol, we would be honored to have you stay with us again.

Best Regards,
pomona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I read the reviews and was a bit nervous about giving this a try but I am SO glad that I did! The place is well kept, the staff super nice and friendly, the beds super comfy and the rooms clean and well thought out.

The TV is small but in my room (250) was located in the wardrobe so there was no room really to put it anywhere else. I would suggest a wall mount where the picture is if you guys are listening to make it easier to see and it would free up some of the wardrobe space.

A charming place to stay and very well priced. Restaurant was a bit high but food was fresh and well prepared. Great porch and beautiful garden in the back that is private and quiet.

Definitely my new "go to" place in the greater DC area!

Room Tip: 250 was great for us and looked out into the rear garden.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank You for taking the time in submitting a review. I' am pleased to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Morrison-Clark Historic Inn. We appreciate comments such as yours, as it not only lets us know how well we are doing but it also gives us insight on ways to improve our service.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Happy Holidays,

NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here for a two night stay. We were given a free upgrade to a one bedroom which was nice in theory, however it left one of us sleeping on a terribly uncomfortable pullout sofa and there was only one small tv in the living room, nothing in the bedroom. At times the shower water temperature would vary from cold, to warm, to hot. I was constantly readjusting. Other times it was fine. The towels were very nice, however, the blow dryer is an ancient conair travel size. Bring your own. The room was very dark with all the lamps turned on. No wifi signal in our room. Wired worked good the first night, the second day the internet was not working at all. Some of the tables in the room were very sticky, especially the one with the coffee pot & there was a small amount of mold on the shower curtain. We had trouble finding open restaurants close by in the evenings when we were tired & didn't want to walk far. The staff were all wonderful. Our only complaint is when we asked for a cab to the airport, they called us a towncar that cost us almost $100. We asked for a cab & were never informed of their decision to call us a limo service. Just wished they would have informed us of who they were calling. As for location, it's good, but not near as convenient as I thought from reading all the reviews. You get what you pay for. Next time we would go with somewhere a little more updated & more convenient to the metro.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank You for your feedback. I'am sorry to hear that your stay at the Morrison-Clark Historic Inn was less than satisfactory. It is always our goal to provide our guests with outstanding service throughout their stay and comments like yours helps us target problem areas so that they are properly addressed and avoided in the future. Your feedback is very important to us and I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate staff members for review and action.
Should your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC, we would love for you to reconsider staying with us again.

Best Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I only stated at the Morrison Clark Hotel one night but I wish I could stay more! The bed was incredibly comfortable and the room well kept. The staff were very friendly and allowed me to check in early. Free wifi was great. Two small drawbacks, the lighting in the rooms is very dark, no main light just lots of lamps but I guess that's in keeping with the historic nature of the place. Also the TV was pretty small, but shouldn't be watching TV when on holidays.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Maggie E, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Our twenty first century amenities such as wifi and TV are great but do need to fit in with the 19th century sensibility of our historic Inn. I hope that we provide the proper balance. Come back when you can stay a little longer.

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This is not the place for those who want lots of modern amenities. However, if you want clean, reasonable prices and an excellent location along with historic charm, this is the place for you. We just finished our second visit and we'll be back. My only request to the hotel would be for a coffee station with great coffee made available in the mornings. That in room stuff just doesn't cut it.

• Stayed November 2012
maggieedwards, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am pleased to learn from your review that you enjoyed our convenient location. Our prime location provides our guests a seamless way to explore the Washington, DC area and is within walking distance of many area attractions and two Metro stations.
A more robust version of our in room coffee which is roasted locally, is always available in our Restaurant. We will be happy to deliver it to your room on your return visit.
Your loyalty to the Morrison Clark Inn is greatly appreciated. Hope to see you soon.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

THis resort was a great hidden secret. It's not one of the newly renivated well known hotel name brands, so dont expect that when you go, but the level of guest service will be better than any hotel out there. Because of the size of the hotel, the attention the employees gave was a A+ on my report card. Its an old hotel, thats why its a Historic Landmark. The rooms are a little dated, the decor is a themed to the historic aspect of the hotel, but the Bathrooms are very clean and the beds are very comfortable. Better than most hotel beds I've ever slept in! The price is what attracted me to this resort, it was a bonus to get the level of service and be in such a great location. I will definitly visit again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments about the service provided by the staff, I know that they will be happy to hear your feedback. The staff and the historic features of the Inn make the Morrison Clark a truly unique hotel experience. We often get great feedback from our patrons on the beds with 100% cotton Frette bedding that give it a luxurious feel.
Come back and see us again.

Maggie Edwards

Been to Morrison-Clark Historic Inn? Share your experiences!