“A very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morrison-Clark Historic Inn

You added Morrison-Clark Historic Inn to your Saves list
Morrison-Clark Historic Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 L St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Mount Vernon Square)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now & Save 10%!
Ranked #88 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I just stayed at the Morrison-Clark and were not disappointed. This was our first stay there and we found the historical atmosphere very pleasant. The room was clean, furnished with antiques, and quiet (once we had unplugged the minifridge which was in the large armoire). The staff was helpful. The hotel is located a 25-minute walk from the museums on the mall, a 30-35 minute walk from Union Station, 30 minutes from Dupont Circle and 15 minutes from the restaurants on upper 14th street. It would be very convenient for someone attending an event at the DC convention center.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
maggieedwards, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
I am pleased to learn from your review that you enjoyed the convenient location of The Morrison Clark Inn. With our prime Downtown location, we are able to provide our guests a central base from which to explore all that Washington, D.C. has to offer.
You are correct that convention attendees will find us ideally located, just two short blocks away.
I will have our maintenance team check on that mini bar fridge.

Maggie Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I really loved the historic feel of the place, antiques and old fashioned but it may not be your cup of tea.

I had a lovely room, with its own sitting room, bedroom and bathroom. All slightly faded but very comfortable, and very in keeping with the historic feel of the place.

Lovely bright breakfast room, and a real belle epoc feel to the restaurant. Plus great food.

They even organised a great deal on a town car to the airport.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better, as traffic noise early in the morning is an issue.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your succinct summation of who we are at the Morrison Clark....historic and friendly. Our unique hotel built to include two townhomes circa 1864 make our property different than most hotels in Washington, DC. The tall windows, carved marble fireplaces and chandeliers, all features of the breakfast area and dining room are original to those homes. Our staff is here to make that unique experience memorable and I will make sure to share your comments with them.
Come back and see us again.

Vantaa, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The historic interior of hotel is really beautiful and cozy. The hotel staff were extremely nice and friendly. Seems the staff headcount present wasn't very high and same people doing lots of different stuff -- and for room service it was available only for 9 PM daily, I guess for same reasons...

The location of the hotel is ideal for Washington walk-around. It is only like 4-5 blocks away from the center where the sights are. There was only valet parking available. Near the hotel within 1-2 blocks there were also pharmacy, grocery store and coin laundry, if looking for service which the hotel isn't offering...

The rooms were beautiful, however REALLY small... The room was equipped with a minibar. There was no wireless internet in the room and the public area wireless was poor. Breakfast was good.

Despite the lack of WiFi which I do think is important criteria for a good hotel, I would come back to stay in this hotel, just for the beautiful interior and the good location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Morrison Clark Inn. Our rooms come in a number of different sizes and room types, from a single deluxe room to our expansive Victorian rooms with vaulted ceilings. Given prior notice will always try to place you with the accomodation that suits your personal needs.
Thank-you for your comments about the service provided by the staff, I know that they will be happy to hear it. They are eager to meet any guest request whether it falls within their primary job description or not.

Thanks, again.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The building has the wonderful look of an old historic inn and the initial favorable impression I gained from the outside was only enhanced by the helpfulness of the staff, the impeccably made-up rooms, the comfortable beds (and pillows). The breakfasts in the restaurant were incredible (flank steak, requested and cooked rare, and poached eggs and an attentive waitstaff). The quaintness of the building did not mean uncomfortable or cramped bathrooms. I went solo basically to make the rounds of the art museums. It was about a fifteen \-minute walk to the mall and about the same time to DuPont Circle (the Phillips gallery). The only negative (not the hotel's fault) is that it is in a food desert, meaning I couldn't find a convenient store to buy a bottle of good wine, gourmet sandwiches, or an array of olives. One drawback: although I didn't need it much, I don't thnk they have knowledgeable concierges, if you're looking for things to do or places to eat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with bay windows and a view of the street. It will not be noisy, and it gives the r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
maggieedwards, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your experience reflects our staff's commitment to service and quality. I am sorry that we did not provide you with information about the Restaurants and food stores in the area. For future reference there is a great Whole Foods Market with an large wine shop at 14th and P Street, a short wealk from our hotel. There are also several Liquor and wine shops along 11th street North of the hotel.
I am sorry that we did not relay that information to you but I will be sure to improve the information available about this great neighborhood for our Front Desk Team.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We (Sister, Brother in Law, Husband and myself) stayed here from the 17th to 19th of September.
We had just stayed at another Historic Inn in another state, the difference was miles apart.
From the moment we arrived we were well looked after, barely out of the car and the Bellboy was at our side, insisting he unload all 6 suitcases from the trunk, these were all delivered without a fuss to our rooms and the car parked within minutes.
Check in was friendly and efficient.
The best part for us was to see an historic inn that was loved, the Morrison Clark was always clean and tidy and had a wonderful comfortable feel about it.
Our rooms were spacious, the bed comfortable, towels fresh, everything that was needed was at hand. The only problem I had was with the wifi but I think it may have been the location of our room (must have been in a pocket!) as I had no issue with wifi in other parts of the hotel. This was not a deal breaker as I don't go on holiday to live on the internet.
The staff at the front desk were very helpful and friendly, I would rebook just for their service.
We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and one dinner, the meals were beautiful and not over priced. Wait staff were attentive and friendly.
The location was great for all the 'touristy' spots marked on our list, not far from anything really.
It was agreed by all of us that the Morrison Clark is a well run Inn, that is loved and the people obviously enjoy working there. No complaints from our group and after spending 3 weeks in the U.S and spending time in many different hotels, the Morrison Clark turned out to be the top 2 of our favourites list of places to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
maggieedwards, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your hotel and restaurant experience with us. It is always our goal to make our guests feel at home even if they've traveled half way around the globe. That we achieved number two status ia very gratifying but hope to be number one on your return visit.
I will forward your compliments to the staff. My Front Desk team also enjoyed our friendly guests from down under and wish to thank you for the magazines you left for them.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Morrison Clark last weekend while in DC. The location was chosen due to the fact that it was a block away from my family member's apartment, though it's a great location regardless.

Oddly, the thing I enjoyed most about the room were the beds. To be more specific, the pillows. Oh, the pillows! They were perfect! I was tempted to take one with me (haha). Between the pillows & the comforter, it was the perfect night sleep.

Now to figure out where they get them!

• Stayed September 2012
maggieedwards, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. It is always gratifying to hear good things from our guests. The pillows and duvets are a feather like fill, feather feel without the allergy problems but the addition of Frette imported linens gives them a luxuroius feel and a great way to nestle you into sleep.
I am happy to provide you with purchasing information if you contact me directly at the Inn or you can simply make the Morrison Clark Inn a regular stop on your travel agenda. They'll be waiting for you on your return visit.

Warmest regards,

Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The M-C hotel has a pleasant historic look and feel. And so do the rooms. They are big, comfortable and clean, with plenty of windows overlooking the street. They are nicely equipped with WiFi and cable TV, but locating the TV inside the wardrobe is weird :). Worked ok nevertheless.

The location very good, within a short drive (5 minutes) to the center / National Mall (what you want to see when you are in Washington). The cost of the room (~$109 / night) is very good for Washington.

We've had a pleasant time in this hotel, even though only for a night.

We must mention that the desk clerk wasn't particularly helpful with info on how the street parking works, but the bellboy more than made up for it offering us good advice on this topic. Bellboy 1 - desk girl 0.

Room Tip: high floor, street view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
maggieedwards, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. That we missed the mark in any way is regrettable and we will certainly try to do better in the future. Street parking is available in the evenings and weekends but is often limited to 1-2 hours except from 6pm Saturday to 5pm Sunday which is free although in great demand. Reading the signs carefully is the key to avoiding costly tickets.
That information is readily available to our guest service team and I am sorry that it was not relayed to you on your first attempt.
TV's in some of the armoires is one of the unique features of the Inn's rooms; twentieth century amenities with 19th century feel.
Come and see us again.

Maggie Edwards,

Been to Morrison-Clark Historic Inn? Share your experiences!