“Washington Marriot - Good but could be better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Georgetown

Save Saved
You added Washington Marriott Georgetown to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Georgetown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1221 22nd Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #94 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Washington Marriot - Good but could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This was our first stay of 3 nights as part of an organised tour around Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. All the Marriot Hotels we have stayed in have been good but some (like this one ) just need to go that extra step to make them excellent.

Check-in for our group was chaotic. None of our rooms were ready when we arrived, or, at least Reception were not aware they were ready. Thanks to our Tour Rep getting a bit terse with Reception a batch of room keys were distributed covering part of our Tour Group which at least eased some of the congestion. But at least there was complimentary ice-cold lemonade available which was welcome on a hot day. During quiet times Reception was friendly and useful for information.

The room was clean, spacious with two 4 foot beds, en-suite, room safe, decent TV and coffee-making facilities. But there was only 1 caffeinated coffee and 1 decaffeinated coffee which was a bit poor for a Hotel of this quality. Also, there was a bottle of water in the room but it had a $5 price tag which we thought was a bit pathetic. Unlike other Hotels on our Itinerary there was no free WiFi in the room.

The Bar and Restaurant looked a bit pricey so we ate and drank out.

The location was very good. The immediate area was very clean, and the Metro is a short walk away from where you can easily visit, say, Alexandria. Out of the Hotel and turn left and after 50 yards is Walgreens on the corner (pack of 24 waters for $4 dollars). On the opposite corner is a garage/shop for those travelling by car. Left at Walgreens and there is a reasonable sandwich bar after 30 yards and a Chinese Restaurant after 60 yards on the next corner. This was the Mei Weh and we ate here twice. The menu looked a bit more expensive than in England until we realised that rice was included with the price whereas in England it is charged for separately. The food and service was excellent and I can recommend it to anyone.

It is about 30 minutes leisurely walk to Tidal Basin passing the George Washington Monument. A really great walk around the Basin passing the Martin Luther King Monument and FDR and Jefferson memorials. Once around the Basin you are near the Museums and the White House etc - the gemstone collection in the Natural History Museum is fantastic, but compared to the Museum in Brussells, Belgium the Dinosaur collection is pretty poor. Give yourselves plenty of time here as there is a lot to see.

There is a 'circulator' bus which is $1 per person which we used to travel back and on to Georgetown. There is a Bar/Restaurant called Mr. Smiths. Left out of the Hotel and turn right from Walgreens. Walk about a mile (crossing over the river ) and it is on the other side of the road. For lunch we had a pitcher of Sangria between us £32 for the red wine version and £34 for white wine. It was a damn good pitcher and even better because we asked for little ice and so received more alcohol. A plate of cheese and biscuits helped us soak up the booze. At $9.95 this was really good value - different cheeses with a bit of salad, pickled gherkins and green chillies, with individually wrapped packets of a variety of biscuits.

We also had an evening meal at Mr. Smiths. This happened when we walked out if the paper Moon Italian Restaurant just around the corner. Never been to an Italian before that did not have lasagne, canelloni, pizza and meat ravioli on the Menu. Many items on the Menu were something with cheese, and wine started at £32 a bottle. At Mr. Smiths we had a bottle of wine for $15 (but it was before 7:00pm and this would have increased to £29 afterwards). The food here was excellent and I enjoyed a large portion of Ribs with trimmings.

Would I stay there again ? - Yes, but I probably would not eat or drink there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I rarely do reviews, but the service by the wait staff during my 4 night stay was remarkable. I will stay here again because of the friendliness, courtesy, and accomodating nature of the wait staff in the dining room and room service. Specifically, Askale should be commended. She provided attentive, top notch service, every time, without being intrusive. I will stay here again because of the quality of her service! Well done, Askale.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Some friends and I booked two nights at the Washington Georgetown Marriott last weekend. I work for the Orlando world center Marriott so I was able to get a nice discounted price for the rooms. We pull up in two cars and while gathering the bags out of the car I walk inside to check in. The lady at the front desk asks if I would like to valet and because I know how expensive self parking can be, I asked "how much?" She explains that it is $40 per room, one time fee. I said perfect, we don't plan on needing the cars at all anyway. The weekend passes, we never touched the cars, never even went back to the cars the entire 2 days. I receive my bills and start packing up to leave for back home. When I look at my first room, I see a $40 charge for valet, fine. When I glance at the second bill I see a $40 charge for valet, each night. Well that definitely was not the deal or I never in my life would have parked there. You mean to tell me that it is $59 a night to stay there, and $40 more to have someone drive my car around the corner, one time? I was livid. It would be different if I needed the car or ever used it, however that was not the case. So I called up to the front desk on Monday evening and spoke with a lady who stated, sorry that's our policy nothing I can do. So I asked to speak with a manager who was by far the rudest "manager" I have ever encountered and I was so angry by the end of the call I hung up without getting his name. I work for Marriott, I of all people understand how pricey it is to park, however why was I only charged $40 for one room valet, yet $80 for the other, and there was "nothing" they could do. I can promise I will never in my life return there, and I will make sure to note how horribly the concern was handled. Great location, nice rooms, but the prices for something so simple as parking, were outrageous.

Stayed July 2014
Dwayne S, Front Office Manager at Washington Marriott Georgetown, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Danielle C,
Thank you for choosing the Washington Marriott Georgetown and providing feedback. I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of being billed for parking and not fully understand that it was a nightly charge. I will ensure that we retrain our staff accordingly so that our parking options and prices are communicated in a clearer manner in the future to avoid such inconvenience to our valued guest. I must thank you for bringing this issue to our attention so that we are able to take the necessary steps to improve our service.
Randwick, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights for leisure, close walk to Foggy Bottom Metro is convenient. On a quiet street but really not that far to walk from anywhere. All the staff we encountered were really genuinely friendly (hope someone at the Hotel shares the feedback from TA with them).

Only shock for me was paying for internet...working in Hotels in Australia I always get grief off American travellers when they have to pay for internet in our Hotels...seems to be the same here. Didn't really bother me - would definitely stay again as we also got a good deal off Booking.com.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed for a week, for a conference in DC, over all great hotel the staff at the front desk was really good and accommodating nothing really happened so that was good and the porters where good at getting deals for us when we needed. The kitchen was good and the breakfast offerings really nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

As a family of 5 we travelled to NY , Disney , and miami. All the rooms were small. Food was expensive and not even a kettle for coffee. I was amazed at how stunning the Marriott was. Rooms were big and very stylish. Percolator in the room with coffee pods. Reasonably priced restaurant. Staff were very good and to top it off we were a walk away from ALL attractions. Really really impressed and next time we leave South Africa to USA we will use the Marriot again

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kildare, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and found it quite comfortable. Although they could do with better air conditioning as the bedclothes felt damp all the time. If you had a window that opened it would help a lot.

The rooms were large but the bathrooms quite small. And as there were 3 of in our rooms it was a tight squeeze with no storage for wet towels etc.

The restaurant was great, the breakfast was plentiful and the dinners delicious. The barman that was there for our stay was fantastic, very helpful and friendly, I didn't get his name unfortunately.

It was the perfect location for walking the city. We were only 15 min walk form the Lincoln memorial and from there everything is very close together.

Overall a very pleasant stay and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Washington Marriott Georgetown? Share your experiences!